Don't Get Me Started | Teen Ink

Don't Get Me Started

By TheIsotech BRONZE, Lordswood, Other
TheIsotech BRONZE, Lordswood, Other

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace"-Jimi Hendrix

Sheep! Don’t you hate them? I sure do. Before you ask, no I’m not talking about the woolly ones, I’m on about the people who follow the crowd like a sheep. They have no personality, no nothing. They follow these trends as if they are a lost puppy trying to find their mum. It infuriates me beyond comprehension.

It’s not the fact that they follow these trends. I mean, everyone including you and me have followed trends that when we look back in pictures and photo-albums we think “what the hell am I wearing?!” It’s the fact that some people don’t have their own personality and they stick out like a sore thumb in the crowd. They try to be “cool” and “hip” but quite frankly they look ridicules.

Why do they do it? That is the sixty four million pound question, and I’m just as clueless ad you. We can only hazard a guess as to why they do it. My guess is that they do it to look “cool”. That is the most logical explanation. A perfect example of this are smokers. One person in a crowd does it, and then they all do it. Don’t believe me? I bet if you find one person in a crowd that smokes, I guarantee you that within a week the crowd will look like a steam engine.
Another reason maybe, is that some people just don’t fit in. There people I feel more sorry for. Because they aren’t the loudest or they might be a little weird, people manipulate them into turning them into something they’re not. People like you and I try to save them, but before we know it they are in the crowd and lost in the cloud of smoke.

I knew someone who was manipulated and changed like this. It was a terrible sight to see. She changed so dramatically it was amazing, yet, so saddening at the same time. I saw her in the crowd, talking and having a laugh. That’s all it was at first. But gradually, she changed. Although very slightly at first, over a long period of time it was noticeable. Eventually she was one of them, just another sheep. I used to look over to her now and then and saw her; desperate to come back. She didn’t belong there and she knew it. But she was “cool”, she was one of them. Once you’re over there, you don’t come back.

If you think that is just school children that do this, then I am afraid you are very much mistaken. Adults do it as well. Possibly are even bigger culprits for it. You see men and woman alike walking to work in suits and ties with bland expressions on their faces. If ever there was a time for the word flock, this is it. There is no feeling, just emptiness. As they say, the lights are on but no-one is home.

It’s not just the city goers that are like this. But the party girls are just the same, all wearing the same dress. Now, forgive me if I am being stupid, but surely if you want to stand out you wear an out of the ordinary dress, not one that everyone else is wearing. But hey, what do I know.

This problem is getting more and more frequent, and it’s happening to people that it didn’t used to. It’s getting more common in school playgrounds and parks everywhere. We know who it is affecting, people with little or no personality, people who want to be cool and people who are just easily manipulated. Unfortunately I do not have the answer, but I dare say one of you have. If you do, then help. If you don’t help, then there will be even more sheep roaming our streets...