The Overused Vampire

Vampires have been completely overdone. They are in books, movies, poems, and just about any other types of entertainment you can think of. I swear, it seems like authors throw vampires into the thread of a story, especially romances I’ve noticed, simply to get the book sold. Most vampire related fiction, I’ve realized is geared toward hyped up, lovesick, teenage girls.

Now that said there is nothing wrong with putting vampires in your works. But could we please have some originality?! We’ve been served too many portions, of death, drama, and romance, concerning vampire fiction, for far too long.

If you’re going put vampires in your stories, can you at least put an individual spin on it? Trying to reuse the same ideas and plot lines as another author, or authors, doesn’t work. It only sours your story and theirs.

For example, ever since Twilight came out, people keep using the same story of girl meets vampire, and the vampire is the most dreamy person on the Earth. It sickens me. An author is supposed to be creative, and not use other people’s ideas! Being inspired , and using someone else’s plot notion, are two very different things.

Mix it up, put vampires in a new light. Make them caring or naive. Add something different. I’ll appreciate it, and so will the thousands of other readers out there, who are sick of the same old angsty romances, and blood sucking death bringers, that have been induced into vampire fiction. Bringing different ideas and creative imaginings to an overused topic, interests us, as much as you.

But maybe you don’t include vampires in your stories, and for that I thank you. I love complicated romances, and sometimes vampires add the perfect spice to things, but not every popular piece of fiction has to involve vampires, or paranormal romance! So please, before you write another love torn saga on vampires, or anything paranormal, make sure it’s original. If you do, I guarantee you will make a lot of people happy, including yourself. If you have any original pieces concerning vampires, please tell me. I would enjoy a fresh dose of creativity.

BreeTayler This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amen. Preach on sista. Preach on. When you asked me to read this I didn't see that it was in the opinion section and I tought it was going to be another vampire story uggghhhh... but since it's not, BRAVA!

shadowrider replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm :
Thank you! I'm so happy people agree with me!

Love.Hate.Passion. said...
It's great that you've chosen to say what so many of us think , but won't say. I agree that vampires are way overused in fiction and romance. You created a great article with strong opinions. Good job:)

shadowrider replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm :
Thanks!         

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 31, 2011 at 3:13 pm:
Amen to that! I've got a story called Monsters (in two parts) that uses Twilight-style vampires and werewolves, but parodying them utterly. Check it out if you've got time! :)

shadowrider replied...
Aug. 5, 2011 at 1:42 pm :
I will if I get the chance! Thanks so much for the feedback!

Alon_Freevoice said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:29 am:
Kudos to you on this! I agree that most of the books are either about a lame sparkling vampire and a girl or a vampire school. If there is only one vampire book that I like, it's Vampirates. I used to like House of Night Series until I realize how clique it is and how lame it is. I mean, please, publishers, if you are going to publish someone, read their works thoroughly!

Again, kudos to you! :)))

shadowrider replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:39 am :
Thanks for the feedback! I love Vampirates too! It gives such a cool twist to vampires.

CarrieAnn13 said...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:22 am:

Great article!  I love how you expanded your ideas and smoothed out the flow.  And I totally agree with you; vampires are overused.

On a side note, I am currently writing a novel that has a vampire as one of the main characters but I definitely put a different twist on it. :)

shadowrider replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 12:38 am :
Sweet! I will definitely have to check it out when you finish it!

CarrieAnn13 replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:04 am :
Thank you!  I'll let you know as soon as I post the first few chapters. :)

shadowrider replied...
Jul. 27, 2011 at 1:07 am :
Kay! *waits with bated breath* *cheeks turn purple, then red, then green (is that even physically possible?)* *must release breath* *exhales theatrically and with a bought of coughing* LOL. Can't wait!

smiles365 replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:43 am :
Im with you on the vampires! I was reading. About vampires way before twilight but ever since then every vampire book is completely predictable and the character have all melded Together!... and yes I believe your face can turn green

shadowrider replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 11:26 am :
Why thank you! Green face could come in handy one day ;) lol JK!