The Overused Vampire

Vampires have been completely overdone. They are in books, movies, poems, and just about any other types of entertainment you can think of. I swear, it seems like authors throw vampires into the thread of a story, especially romances I’ve noticed, simply to get the book sold. Most vampire related fiction, I’ve realized is geared toward hyped up, lovesick, teenage girls.

Now that said there is nothing wrong with putting vampires in your works. But could we please have some originality?! We’ve been served too many portions, of death, drama, and romance, concerning vampire fiction, for far too long.

If you’re going put vampires in your stories, can you at least put an individual spin on it? Trying to reuse the same ideas and plot lines as another author, or authors, doesn’t work. It only sours your story and theirs.

For example, ever since Twilight came out, people keep using the same story of girl meets vampire, and the vampire is the most dreamy person on the Earth. It sickens me. An author is supposed to be creative, and not use other people’s ideas! Being inspired , and using someone else’s plot notion, are two very different things.

Mix it up, put vampires in a new light. Make them caring or naive. Add something different. I’ll appreciate it, and so will the thousands of other readers out there, who are sick of the same old angsty romances, and blood sucking death bringers, that have been induced into vampire fiction. Bringing different ideas and creative imaginings to an overused topic, interests us, as much as you.

But maybe you don’t include vampires in your stories, and for that I thank you. I love complicated romances, and sometimes vampires add the perfect spice to things, but not every popular piece of fiction has to involve vampires, or paranormal romance! So please, before you write another love torn saga on vampires, or anything paranormal, make sure it’s original. If you do, I guarantee you will make a lot of people happy, including yourself. If you have any original pieces concerning vampires, please tell me. I would enjoy a fresh dose of creativity.

SmirkingSkull said...
Finally someone who knows what they're talking about! I completely agree. Ever since Twilight came out there's been a non-stop vampire craz. I personaly use to love vampire books. "use to" being the key words. It's so over used. I wish it's go back to the way it was before Twilight. That only the true and few vampire books, not every writter who wants a romantic love story. 

SecretFlame replied...
Thanks for the comment!

sunshine7223 said...
WOW! I am blown away! I so agree with everything you discussed in this piece. Your opinion on the topic is so well described in detail. You can definitely feel the voice of your opinion streaming throughout the piece. This is so well done, and definitely deserves a 5/5 rating! I would love to read more from you. I agree with you completely on this topic, 110%! FANTASTIC job! :))))

Illuminatus replied...
Jan. 8, 2012 at 1:53 am
great job ... i am glad that someone finally brought it up !

SecretFlame replied...
Thank you so much! I love when I get comments like this :)

LifesIllusion said...
Even though I myself love the Twilight Series and many other like it, you totally made me see from another point of view. And let me tell you I am very stubborn. Congrats on that! anyway, great job! 4.5/5 stars

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

Remember reading this in the forums and loving it!

I'm glad it's finally published on the site.

It's a very opinionated , yet true article. Keep it up!

SecretFlame replied...
Thanks!          

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 12:20 am
So I think I commented on this before in the forums, and I'm just going to say again--I really like this! I completely agree with what you're saying. I've never been a huge fan of vampire books, just because there are so many of them! Great article! :)

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really applaud you for taking the time to write something on a subject that I think a lot of people have thought about, but not talked about openly. Yes, originality is the spark of life! And there's only a certain amount of times you should use an idea, once! Like you so wonderfully stated, if the general ideas are similar, but the author puts a unique spin on things, then that is brilliant, and I would most likely enjoy reading the book. So I agree with everything you said, although vampires... (more »)

SecretFlame replied...
Thank you! That gave me a great idea about how you said vampires aren't the only things overused, maybe I could start a mini series of short stories with creative spins on all those overused stereotypical fantasy creatures! 

julian This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's a great idea! I definitely encourage you to do that. 

SecretFlame replied...
Thanks!!!        

ItsAshMal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 31, 2011 at 10:09 am

You've expressed here what I think many teenage girls have been trying t say for a while now. Of course, the question of the alluring vampire has been around since the beginning of literature; my friend even had to write an essay on it in her AP English class last year.

The formatting here makes your opinion clear and easy to understand, and I must say I agree with you!.

Side note: have you seen the show supernatural? I love their taker on vamp... (more »)

LiederMadchen This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great article! I have only recently started exploring the vampire genre and I realized very quickly that it would not be a favorite. I have only read a few and already I am tired of how similar they are. The only unique one I have read so far was Kiss of the Night by Debbie Viguie.

IamtheshyStargirl said...

Great article, it was well written, and I enjoyed reading it :) 

I generally don't read stuff with vampires in it, though there is this one web comic that I really like, would you be interested in it?

shadowrider replied...
Thanks! I would definitely be interested in that comic.

IamtheshyStargirl replied...

It's called "Earthsong" and it's by Crystal Yates. I hope you like it :) 

I don't think it'll work for me to post a link. I think you can google it. Let me know if that works, if it doesn't I'll just post the link for you.

shadowrider replied...

Cool! Thanks!

WishfulDoer said...
I agree that vampires are overused, and people are forgetting the concept of originality. But personally, I love vampire books. Not Twilight, only because they just got way to overhyped with that series. But books like Vampire Academy, and Infinite Days are really good.