The Lost Years of Merlin Review | Teen Ink

The Lost Years of Merlin Review

June 1, 2011
By NinjaNinja10 BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
NinjaNinja10 BRONZE, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I like cheese.


I’m not going to lie when I picked up the book I thought it was going to be the worst book I’ve ever read in my whole life. Just look at the picture on the cover. This is going to suck. I’d rather eat soap than read this crap, I thought to myself. But after reading the book I had to admit it was one of the best fantasy books I’ve ever read. The author has a descriptive style of writing and will make you feel what Merlin, the protagonist, is feeling throughout the book.

Taking place in ancient times the first book of the epic Merlin series by T.A. Barron starts when a young teenager named Emrys wakes up after being washed ashore on a strange island and he can’t remember anything about his life before lying on the sand of that beach. After being housed by a woman who says she is his mother and that his name is Emrys, though he doesn’t believe her, Emrys goes on an adventure of a lifetime to find his birthplace, his real name, and the secret to all of his magical powers, and his true life.

Encountering everything from talking trees to “little” giants on his journey, Emrys finds himself on the magical island of Fincayra. After meeting a few friends, including the “little” giant Shim, on the way, Emrys learns that the fate of Fincayra and himself are tied together in more ways than he can even imagine.

In this thrilling book you will find anger, agony, joy, but most of all you will find the importance of self-discovery. This book puts a twist on the already amazing legend of Merlin. I think that if you like fantasy books or the Harry Potter series you should definitely read The Lost Years of Merlin.