Growing Up

Children are trying to grow up too fast.

They dress in outfits tighter and shorter than necessary.

Fourth grade girls text friends they saw moments earlier.

Seven year-olds are on Facebook.

Little girls reading Twilight try to understand the sexual references.

Pregnant twelve year-olds stir up the internet.

Girls younger than me are much more “mature.”

This isn’t right.

I still don’t buy the clothing tweens are crazy about.

I received a cell phone after sixth grade for transportation purposes.

I created my Facebook page at thirteen, with my mother learning my password.

I didn’t want to dwell on sex ed. class anymore that I had to.

I have no plans for sex any time soon.

Am I a dying breed?

sunriseusnset said...
Sometimes I catch myself trying to be too grown-up too. I stop myself because it makes me sad too see these things today. I just try to live my life now. Now regrets. & my anthem is "Never Grow Up" by Taylor Swift. My sister is 10 & I feel like she's hyper-growing too. I did that when I was her age. I'm in high school now, but I wish I could make her see that she just needs to enjoy her childhood..

SonRisAThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:49 am:
I blame global warming.Messes with the air and cuts off the o2 to the brian :) But it could be worse right.....

cr8artchick said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:47 am:
Imagine what their kids will be like. That's a scary thought

cr8artchick said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:46 am:

It's easy to forget in our world that there are other views then what society says, so I'm glad that you gave me a dose of reality, reminding me that I'm not the only one who feels this way!

InvisibleNerdGirl said...

I thought (hoped) it would be a while before I could say this, but:

Aaah, these crazy kids these days!! ;)

Seriously! I'm in middle school and all of my friends have cell phones. (no exaggeration.) My parents would kill me if I bought one! (um...possible exaggeration... ;p)

Anyway. This is a great article and I agree 100%. This world is being overrun with mini-adults! GO, DYING BREED!! (well, that came out weird. O_o) :)

Radiah said...
Apr. 8, 2011 at 2:29 am:
Correct! Our generation is far more better. Take a look at 3rd-4th graders now. They're so different to us then!

EnigmaCalaway said...
Ha, I hope not! I do feel like you sometimes - if it's worth anything. You're not alone!

Ronnie17 said...

I totally agree! but i think that a lot if what young kids and many young teens are doing is influenced by media and famous teens like Miley Cyrus and others. They see that these famous people are doing things like drinking, dressing inappropriate, partying, doing drugs, having sex, ect. and they feel think that its cool to do because famous people are doing it or that everyone is doing these things.

I think another reason is that a lot of parents don't pay attention to their children ... (more »)

Kidlet This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 9:54 am:
You are not alone! I have often times felt the same way: "Am I a dying breed?" Bravo! Great writing. Keep it up. :)