Body Image and Hollywood

What are the first words that come to your mind when you think of the word, "beautiful?" You probably think of a celebrity or model or maybe even the most popular girl in school, who is stick thin, tall, and breathtakingly gorgeous. This girl has men following her everywhere-turning their heads as she struts by, completely unaware. If you are a guy, you probably think of those guys who always seem to get the girls. You think of Hollister models with great hair and bodies that girls fawn over. No matter your gender, these people seem flawless and most teens end up wishing they were just like those beautiful celebrities/models. You aren't like them, and doubt you ever will be. Maybe you don't like your body, maybe it's your looks, no matter, you don't like what you see. You want to change, and will do whatever it takes to be just like that model you saw. Some teens end up starving themselves, anorexic or bulimic, to the point of sickness. Some want surgery to make themselves more attractive. Some may even reach the point of being suicidal due to the belief that they will never be perfect. Well, there's news for you. Those head-turning, breathtaking models who seem so perfect in your eyes are just like you. The only thing that makes them look so great is make-up and photoshop. And the whole body thing? Most of these models are disgustingly thin, often weighing 100 lbs. or less. It's disgusting. Even then, there agents tell them that they need to lose weight or lose their career. Basically, it's extremely unhealthy, and they are putting themselves through starvation and anorexia just to look perfect and make teenagers feel worse about themselves. And those actors and celebrities with those perfect bodies? They often are mistreated as well. Keira Knightly was anorexic for a long time, and on some movies they even go to the extremes of filming the actress, but replacing their body later in editing with someone who has a better body. My belief is that Hollywood is unhealthy for teens and their view of themselves. As teens, we should be smart enough not to buy into the body image scandals, and we should be proud of ourselves just the way we are. In the bible, it says that God created us the way we are for a reason, and we should embrace it. Call the bible fake or what you want, but shouldn't you be just... you? Why not embrace your inner beauty? Why cut yourself down if even celebrities and models look just like us? It is my belief that if you keep on trashing yourselves or comparing yourselves to the celebrities or the most attractive guy/girl at school, you are just going to end up disappointed. That's not the way you are supposed to view yourself. But, if you view yourself as amazing, then you are definitely going to believe it and will end up a happy person. So let's make a change, and tell yourself how important you really are!

theanchorsthatkeptme said...
This was a great read! I loved it. <33

MKimmi said...
You had a tiny grammar mistake but its GOOD!! your opinions pieces are pretty well written and lots of "own emotions" <- i didn't know how to say it, is it spurk, or spice or something?

MKimmi replied...

Btw, i really agree with your opinions!

:D

hucobo601 replied...
I totally agree with your opinions. It got dull in the middle for some reason, though. Your introduction was great.