Pull Up Your Pants!!! | Teen Ink

Pull Up Your Pants!!!

As I walk down the hallways of my middle school, I see some friends, and we greet each other. Half of the other kids I see, have their pants around their knees. Around their knees! Pants were made to protect our private areas, but when the pants are around the knees, that takes away from the whole purpose of wearing pants.

The article, “Sagging pants: Hip Hop Trend, or Prison Trend?”, clearly explains why sagging is definitely wrong. “Prisoners wear their pants this low because belts are a popular way to commit suicide by hanging ones’ self, hanging others, or for weapons in fights. Prisoners aren’t allowed shoe strings for the same reason. But, there is an even more obvious reason why pants are sagging in prison. If the pants are below the man’s bottom, it is to introduce to other men that he is homosexual. As Easy E once said about women in skirts, *For easy access, Baby*.’’ I just find this engrossing that I see as much sagging in my school as an old man’s wrinkles.

I like hip hop music, but the way the artists present themselves is just unacceptable. When I listen to the music all I can think about is that they are exposing themselves. I wonder if they have any self-respect at all, or if they have any clue that sagging is a way to present yourself as homosexual. Kids look up to them because they like their music, so, they try to be as much like the artist as possible. I am 100% sure that the kids don’t know that sagging is a way to express their homosexuality. If they do, its mob-mentality that deeps them doing it. The people that don’t know keep reminding the ones that do know what it isn’t true, even though it is. I think their needs to be a way to stop sagging, a middle school in Tennessee has done just that.

In the article, “threat of ‘Urkel’ solves pants sagging problem” by Becky Bruce, kids were told to pull their pants up, or be ‘Urkeled.” Steve Urkel is a 90’s TV show character from “Family Matters”, and his pants were held up by suspenders and pulled up so high, that you could see his white socks and shoes. By being ‘Urkeled’, students with their pants around their knees would have their pants forcefully “pulled up to almost their armpits, and then zip tied through the belt loops so the pants would stay. They then would have their picture taken and posted on the board for all to see.” I think that this would be the perfect salvation for the sagging problem that goes on in the hallways of my middle school.

Sagging is wrong, sagging is wrong, sagging is wrong.

I wish that everyone will get it in their heads that wearing your pants around your knees is just as bad as not wearing pants at all. I don’t care if you sag in your home or not, just don’t sag in public. I don’t care if you wear a diaper and bib in your own home, if you have any self-respect, you would not sag in public.

I chose to write this piece, because I see a lot of sagging in my school. I think it's not very good, or respectful.

cheryl said...
on Jan. 21 2011 at 10:41 am
Well said Alex I couldn't agree more!