Fashion and Appearances: Creating Your Identity | Teen Ink

Fashion and Appearances: Creating Your Identity

By cprev SILVER, Convent Station, New Jersey
cprev SILVER, Convent Station, New Jersey

"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." -Coco Chanel

I am confident in saying that I don't only speak for myself when I say that as teenagers, we probably all hear that this is a time in our life that we are "discovering ourselves," or "finding who we want to be." The truth is, as teenagers, we aren't really focussing on the long road ahead of us. Well, most of us anyways. We're all focussed on what's happening NOW, and not what's going to be happening ten years from now. One of the things that many teenagers are obsessed with, or focussed on, is appearances. To many, the word appearance simply means clothes or makeup, but your appearance is much more. Your appearance is how you hold yourself. How you act, and how much pride, dignity, or confidence you have. As Coco Chanel once said,"Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." Our appearance also has to do with our personal sense of style, because after all, that is how people who don't know us judge us, no matter what we like to believe. Fashion isn't all about wearing a pair of skin tight J Brand skinny jeans and a boyfriend blazer and saying, "This is what's hot right now." Fashion is about how you take what's happening in the fashion industry, and make it your own, and how you make it represent YOU. The hardest thing to do is to be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to change who you are, and if you can do that than, well, you can do anything.

I know, I know, I know, this may be a tad shallow to some of you, that I am writing about appearances and fashion, but honestly, this is what our world has come to, so please, read this, and hear me out, because this is now.

Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California

“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

I agree 100%. Great job, that is so true.

mlynch BRONZE said...
mlynch BRONZE, Summit, New Jersey

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That's why they call it present."

i definitely agree. this article was great and sooo true!! keep up the good work!!

i totally agree... they say that kids have it easy, but really we dont. honestly appearence is something that i worry about all the time... i guess thats just part of being a teen