For the Twi-nerds, zoids, and haters. I promise you we'll grow out of it.

First thing first: I used to be a Twi-Hard. As ashamed I am to admit it, I have shirts that I made saying "Jasper's Angel". I lived, breathed, and loved Twilight to the point of insanity, as did my close-knit group of friends. We watched the movie on the opening night and then spent hours talking about it, pulling it apart.

When I first read Twilight I was not impressed. But then people began talking about it. Now, I have read a lot of books. Enough to probably fill a library, but Twilight was one I remembered, so I caught on to the craze. I read Breaking Dawn the day it came out, and followed closely.

I bought toys, clothes, buttons, and candy hearts Twilight-Themed. I adored Stephanie Meyer, and read and wrote fanfiction.

Then, I stopped. I realized that the books are not only demeaning to women, but typical. They followed the same plot line as the other books in the library. They were good, yes, but they weren't THAT good. Why were so many people wasting their time with these when there are literary works of art like the Uglies series or classic lit? The Twilight books are not anything supremely special, they are good, and I do commend Ms. Meyer for her success. I am not however sure that she deserves it 100%.

Wake up world, and read more than Twilight. If you don't change your mind, Twilight will be there when you get back.

Sparkora said...
I never was a true Twi-hard, because no other book could trump my love of Harry Potter, but I agree that the hype it was made those book what they are. Not the story, not the writing, just the hype.

JustBeingME said...
I also used to be a twi-hard... and then i realized how unoriginal the plotline was, how bad the movies are, and how I didn't want to be some stupid fangirl looking for my "Edward". Ugh. Personally I think Harry Potter was an amazing work of art that deserved all the publicity and amazing movies, unlike Twilight which was just another ok series.

MysteryHeart said...
Its true Twilight will be here forever. Kinda like Harry Potter. Remember when that was a Craze. True they are still comming out with the movies but look at where it is now as compared to where it was then . Twilight will die out as the years go on. It will be the thing that we tell our kids about and in 20 years they will remake the movies and blaa blaa blaa well you get the picture. You can bet that when we are older one of the topics that wil be said under the famouse phrase "When i was in hi... (more »)