Don't Conform to the Norm | Teen Ink

Don't Conform to the Norm

I’ve known since I entered public school that I don’t quite fit the norm.
I don’t wear the Aeropostle, Hollister, American Eagle, whatever it is that is popular right now. I think of these clothes brands as all being the same. My wardrobe is tie-dye shirts (some handmade), embroidered jeans, and anything that is a hand-me-down.

People are shocked to learn I don’t like shopping. I’d much rather buy my stuff online. But best of all is a trip to my mom’s closet.
People think I’m crazy when I say I don’t use chicken liver as bait but as dinner. And I simply say- “Why not, it’s good?”
My friends always ask me: “What is a hot cross bun?” And I reply “You don’t know what a hot cross bun is?” Mmm, my favorite Easter treat, a bun with candied fruit in it and a cross frosted on top. Every year my Aunt Amber makes them for Easter.
Most of all, I’m always shocked to know people don’t have a clue what a chicken stew is. My favorite fall event, a mix of fellowship, fun, and good food.
When people say Daughtry (whoever that is) both my mom’s and my brain automatically clicks to Roger Daltry of The Who. I’m sure The Who is much better any day.
I’ve never spent over 30 bucks on a purse.
I don’t know what a crème brulee or a baked Alaska is.

So many people are shocked that I don’t own a cell phone and don’t really want one either.

Some people can’t believe I’d take the mountains over the beach any day!
Now I’ve given you what makes me special. Like it or not everybody has things that make them different from the normality. Embrace the differences. Don’t conform to the norm.

Holly_Frost GOLD, Henrietta, Texas

Individuality makes us human

Me exactly! It's like story of my life!Yay! I'm not the only one! :) Good job on not being normal! I could never live any other way..

missTaco BRONZE, Kingston, Massachusetts

Enjoy Today, because you could die tomorrow

this is well written and inspiring. most people at my school look and act the same and its hard to tell them apart. induviduality is a virtue in my opinion.