Electronic Survival

Cell phones are something that used to be a delicacy but now it is somewhat of a “have to have” item. Every chirping perky suck-up is holding one and usually that’s because they had a tiny scratch on their old one and that is an “OMG” situation. So they buy a new one. That is the case with every so-called “must have” item, those wayward electronics that eat up parents’ hard earned money. These are things you could live without, but once you have it, you depend on it entirely.

My ex-best friend went through 3 phones in one year. And a girl on my morning bus went through 4 phones in one summer. That is just a pure waste of money and the more selfish you make kids, the more they want. I only got a cell phone this year due to after school activities, texting my friends at times, but not over the top so. There is also some internal (and external) relationship boys have with their precious XBOX 360’s. What is the point of camping out in your living room playing ultra-violent games until the crack of dawn? It is something I would like to call: OBSESSSION: THE TRUE MEANING. These boys give a whole new meaning to that word. These electronic games meant purely for entertainment has become more of a living habit, and damn those who think their lives depend on a stupid little electric micro-chip.

I won’t reflect on the olden times where there were no cell phones, no TVs, and no XBOX 360s’. I won’t do that because I am only so old. But the dependency on cell phones makes me think to myself, what has become to our new generation? Has it gone on crack and slowly deteriorated at the site of gleaming new play stations?

Yes, the world is very confusing at the moment, but the only option we have is to live through that period of time, and pretty soon the snottiness will diminish. Either that or it will increase.

DestineeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Haha, 4 cell phones in ONE summer? That's messed up. 

OKAY, I'm going to take your comment to heart. 

I think that the word in the first sentence, "delicacy", would sound better if replaced by "luxury".

You started it off really well, but the middle/third para started to sound a bit ramble-y. 

That last sentence was funnny. I know it shouldn't jhave been, but I chuckled internally. I think it would've been more effective, however, if it w... (more »)

poppy_lin replied...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 7:40 pm :

thanks for reading!

i love critical responses, cuz i like to improve my work so thanks again! :) i'll change it and i'll revise it some more. bahaha i was getting ramblye :)

cheers!