The Real Story of Emos

The definition of Emo has nothing to do with cutting yourself, it has nothing to do with what clothes you wear, what music you listen to, or what strange color you dyed your hair last month. Emo is the short way of saying emotional...really. Emo means emotional, like you have very vivid emotions and have a certain way of expressing that. Today, people see them as people that wear all black and purple-sometimes even red- and listen to screamo all day in a room with black lights and posters of weird bands that have no point. This stereotype is ruining the point of people expressing the way they feel about something. I have 3 friends that are all Emo, one is angry majority of the time, another is depressed and has to take meds for it, and the other is just like me, just wears a lot of black and orange- like Halloween.

Notice how none of them cut themselves or drug themselves until they pass out? That is because those things were for some dumb reason associated with Emo poeple. The one on anti-depressants, is on them because she had huge trauma in her life, and expressing it through nothing. She would sit and think until it was time to go to sleep...she would wake up and go through the same routine. So before you start stereotyping emos as cutters and things to that effect, learn about them and you'll notice that they are just emotional people, not freaks, not people that you should avoid, just emotional expressers.

forgettableThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 11:52 am:
what u are saying is true.maybe this will change the way that people see emos as just cutting themselves instead of something else

Astrain said...
When I was little, I actually wanted know what pain felt like. I didn't know the word emo that time but I gave myself around 3 paper cuts until my mom saw me and told me to stop. A lot of my friends found out about this and started to call me emo. At first, I though emo was only about people cutting themselves, but not anymore. People have their own reasons why they are emo and I have mine. Whe I'm at school, I laugh a lot with my friends, hang out with them and even go to parties with them. But... (more »)

LovesForgotenChild said...
totally right im emo and i wear totally bright colors and smile alot of the time at school but at home its super hard wit an alchaholic(sp?) dad, an abusive mom, and an evil sis life is hard but as a true emo i appreciate ur attemnt(sp?) to clearify the defination of emo. and im srry if my spelling sux english is not my best subject XD

SharpieChance said...
I've been called emo and laughed at it. In fact a friend and I had this long discussion about it one day. Another friend said I was totally not emo because Emo people cut themselves and hate life. I wanted to scream, "Thats not it!"

Thesilentraven This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What you're saying is completely true. Emos would be happy to know that you're looking out for them. :)