I'm Not a Kid ,I'm Just Afraid to be an Adult | Teen Ink

I'm Not a Kid ,I'm Just Afraid to be an Adult

You say you no longer want to be treated as a child and yet everyday you spend your days playing video games and watching TV or chatting with strangers over MySpace.
You are constantly begging for every "this" and every "that" and when you are told no you simply pout.Even though you have plenty of work experience and friends + family offering jobs you decide that you don't want to work to earn your own money in order to buy those things.
More importantly you want independence,and respect that you don't even deserve and if you don't get it then you get an attitude.
You see soo many teenagers or "pre-adults" who act like this.You see them complain about almost everything. "You don't let me go anywhere" "You never buy me what I want." They complain and complain until eventually they get into unnecessary arguments with their parents.
But the one thing that many don't seem to think about is that it's not always their parents fault.Once you reach a certain age and beyond (like 16+) there are certain things you should already start doing for yourselves.For example it wouldn't kill anyone if they helped their moms clean/wash dishes or even ask could they be taught how to do laundry.Also if you're sick of your parents not taking you anywhere then learn how to drive!Take driving lessons(either from professionals or your own parents),and aim to get your license or at least your permit.
Childhood is short lived and adulthood is always right around the corner.Most parents are generous and give you aid until you're able to take care of yourself. But parents don't stay young forever and it's not their responsibility to take care of you forever.They need taking care of too.
I guess my point is that in order to grown up, move out, and maybe even start your own family then you need to start developing some of those vital life skills needed in order to make it on your own.
Don't just complain about wanting to move out or whatever, get prepared to do so. Talk to your parents!They're not just there for you to yell at you know.I'm sure they are full of wisdom and they'd be happy to share it with you if you just asked.

-Words of a fellow Teen

I in no way wrote this piece to be offensive or rude. I wrote this because of my own personal experience. My brother is one of those types of teens and because of it he's made some awful mistakes that have caused my whole family pain and distress. I just wanted people to know that there's a better way to grow up than just rushing out into the world unprepared...

ShatteredHeArT SILVER, Americus, Georgia

LIFE offers us choices and forces us to live with the consequences of our decisions.

I am a senior in high school this is my last year. im not ready to be on my own.