Is There Anything Original About a Trend?

What do things like bell-bottoms, poodle-skirts, and or big hair all have in common? Besides being weird style choices? The thing they have in common is that they were old trends. The dictionary’s definition of a trend is for something to be in style. The dictionary’s mostly correct, except it forgot one little detail:
Trends are either forgotten or ridiculed by the same people who followed these asinine novelties.

First of all, how does this so-called trend even start?

It starts with at least one person wearing/using/or doing a certain fad. Then said craze is considered interesting enough to imitate. And when the population gets tired of this trend, or sees something new they forget the past almost entirely… with a few exceptions.
Some people may like the “retro” look. Then something that’s been ignored for like 40 years or so, is suddenly popular again.

But do you know what the worst thing about this is?

That when everyone in the world owns whatever seems flashy or shiny at the moment, it no longer holds any originality it may have once had.

When did having your own look stop being in vogue? When you could have your own look without everyone copying you, or ridiculing you stood out. Is there anything imaginative left in today’s society?