Hot Topic: A Market of Mass Production

Hot Topic, a store that has always maintained a stock of alternative/music based clothing, has lost its flare and is now becoming mainstream.
America’s marketplaces have became creators of overly mass-produced goods and products. A few weeks ago while quickly picking through “Hot Topic” memorabilia I thought to myself how mainstream and fake their clothing’s becoming. The oversized band tee’s and polka dot panties I used to purchase there have long been replaced with the more overrated “Twilight” shirts and Justin Bieber posters, of which can also be found at Wal-Mart. With all these stores producing the same copied goods it’s hard to find individual items that reflect my personality, a scenario that as lead me to shop thrift stores and create my own clothes.
I understand that Hot Topic must adjust to the consumers wants to earn sufficient pay, however with their current stock I believe they will lose many former customers. Hot Topic producers need to understand that just because many teens are obsessed with pop culture doesn’t mean we all are and retrieve their reputation of unique clothing production.

This article has 1 comment. Post your own!

Lilly_Cat said...
today at 12:00 am:
This is so true. I love Hot Topics and I was there yesterday and they had all this boy band stuff about Justin Bieber and One Direction and its kinda disappointing