Teenage Victims of Media Fraud | Teen Ink

Teenage Victims of Media Fraud

June 3, 2010
By gothgirly BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
gothgirly BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
My BFF, always tells me this:"Be someone else.Be someone a little bit nicer."d:D+B


In many teens’ lives, media plays a big role. You see perfect models on billboards, on television, in magazines, et cetera. It may look pleasant, but you should keep one thing in mind: their perfect image is not real. It’s a team of professionals that work on computers and make models absolutely perfect. However seeing those images almost everyday does a lot of damage to teens. When teens see those perfect looking models, their own image doesn’t please them anymore, and the teens consider themselves rather ugly.

How would you feel if you were surrounded by beautiful people? Even though you were average-looking yourself, no doubt you would feel ugly. In this situation you have to keep in mind that it’s not real, and that the companies are only doing that in order to trick you into buying their product(s). Would you actually believe that a fruity lip gloss makes guys like you? It’s completely ridiculous. In addition, if you pay attention to the bottom of the screen, it says: “results may vary,” which means that the product probably does not function the way it’s shown in an advertisement. And the sad part is that most teens fall for it. So, you waste your money for nothing. Thus, when you buy something, make sure it’s something down-to-earth(you know what I mean?)


I’ve read about a girl here in America who killed herself just because she didn’t fit in appearance-wise. She was literally bullied to death. The bullies kept nagging her about her appearance, and how she was unattractive, and that she should just die. Unfortunately, the girl got sick of everything and ended up killing herself. Why should a young person take her own life, just because she doesn’t look like a perfect model? Well, if the media didn’t consider only beautiful people acceptable, then who knows? Maybe the girl and thousands of others wouldn’t have killed themselves.


Why can’t companies use real-life people with real-life looks that are not as idealized as the ones used today to sell products? You may say that if the models aren’t perfect, then the product can’t be sold. I disagree with that. I think that if companies use standard-looking people, then average people will believe the company and its’ products which will benefit the company and reduce self-consciousness among young adults.


The author's comments:
I think EVERYONE is beautiful.Just believe in yourselves