What the Heck? | Teen Ink

What the Heck?

May 22, 2010
By Anonymous

Piercings have been a problem since elementary school. My dad said, “An earring in your right ear means you’re gay, and your never getting one anyways.” I never really understood this, because I’m right handed. I even think that the right side is the best side. Then 2002 comes up, and this whole left ear thing started. Tons of boys all around me were getting their left ear pierced. And as years went by, more and more boys every year. (Of course I wasn’t allowed to get any holes on me unless I ran into something sharp. It was okay for girls of course. At two both my sisters were already pierced.)

Then in 2007 everyone, boys and girls, had piercings. Not one in each ear, but allover theirselves. Now walking through the hallways of high school, I see lip rings, tongue rings, and rings in noses that bulls wear on TV. Don’t even get me started on piercings on eyebrows, and cheeks. I’ve seen little kids run from a person with all those piercings on their face.

Next let’s talk about tattoos. Ever since I remember, my dad has had this cool tiger on his arm, a dragon on his back, and a salamander on his other arm. Ever since I was about seven, I wanted a tattoo. Not because of my dad, but because they always stuck out to me. I was told that at 18, you’re allowed to get tattoos. If this is true, how come so many students have them already? Do tattoo artists just not check id any more. Seniors and some juniors should be allowed, but why do we see sophomores and freshman with them?

Anyways, its true that having piercings all over your face, and tattoos all over your body does not encourage someone to hire you. If it was a choice between someone like that, and someone dressed in a tie with no piercings or tattoos, who would you pick? You decide.