Keep the Real Books!

Nothing can keep me away from real books. I love the feel of a book in my hands, and the ability to flip to any part of a book I want. If books were replaced by digital devices reading would no longer be the same and would become just another thing we do using electronics and staring at screens. No longer could you head into the library and feel the same joy of walking down the aisles and trying to select a book. No longer could you have the same satisfaction of opening a new book and breaking the binding, or flipping through the pages. No longer could you casually glance over someone’s shoulder to see what they’re reading. With the “e-readers” you would no longer measure your progress in pages, but in percents. Bookstores would go out of business and soon you would be buying books with the internet instead of heading into a cozy store to sit at the cafe and browse. If books were replaced many jobs would be lost. Book printers would no longer be needed, and marketing and distributing workers would now do all their work online. Books are supposed to be a sensory experience- with colorful covers, good smelling pages, and printed words. With the easy access to books on a device, book publishing would soon be too easy, and I fear that many books would lose their quality. Story-telling would no longer be an event that brings children together, and adults could no longer share colorful picture books to their children. What’s more, with a real book, you don’t need to worry about the battery being dead.

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2010 at 4:06 pm:
reading off a screen gives me a headache (one of the reasons I don't read that many fiction pieces on TeenInk). And besides I like looking at how many books are on my shelf or browsing through the library/store shelves. I believe people are depending more and more on technology which is why we now have e-books. It's stupid.

LuckyDucky said...
May 20, 2010 at 1:21 pm:
This is exactly how i feel.  I can't stand the e-readers!  I love the feel of ooks in my hands and dog earing the page.  I love the smell of a book when you first open the pages.  I love walking through the bookstores and searching for the longest time to find a book. 

Christy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 18, 2010 at 6:43 am:
Glad you liked it- this has been a pretty big debate among lots of people lately.

krazykathleen said...
May 16, 2010 at 3:58 pm:
Wow! This is great- I completely agree with you!!! I love going into bookstores and being able to just browse for a book on the shelves and hold the book and see the print and everything! I really hope Kindles and iPads and stuff don't replace real books. Well written article!