Violent Video Games | Teen Ink

Violent Video Games

April 6, 2010
By markie_anderle SILVER, Shaker Heights, Ohio
markie_anderle SILVER, Shaker Heights, Ohio
8 articles 2 photos 12 comments

The violence and gore in the latest video games for young children are startling. The depiction of death and killing is not fit for any children, regardless of age. While visiting with a friend I saw the video games that her younger brother who is ten years old was playing. This game was called Call of Duty 5.

The main object of the game is basically killing. In the game, you can set yourself to portray a Nazi soldier, trying to kill opposing forces. In some versions of the game, you can even set yourself as a terrorist. I think that this is offensive to the memory of anyone who was killed by a Nazi in World War II, and it is offensive to anyone who died in the September 11, terrorist attacks. In this game, you can also hear the screams of people dying, and the agony of after they get shot.

Although many of the most violent games are rated “M” for mature, which means only 17 year olds are supposed to buy them, parents buy them for their children, or children who look seventeen buy them for themselves. It greatly concerns me that parents are paying so little attention to what their children are playing. It is appalling to me that parents would actually buy their child a game that lets you select your player as a Nazi.

What’s even more alarming is the fact that there are much more violent video games then Call of Duty out there. The level of violence in games like these is repulsive, and why anyone would make these repulsive games and distribute them I cannot understand. In my opinion, these games are a way of teaching children and even kids who are allowed to buy these games that terrorism and killing is okay.

Another popular ridiculously violent video game is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. In this game you are a young man working with street gangs to try to boost his “cool”. In the game, the player gains health by visiting prostitutes, and then gains money by beating them to death. Although these games weren’t “intended” for young children, they are inevitably falling into their hands. Most of the time parents aren’t aware of the content that they are actually exposing their children too, which makes me wonder how much attention parents really pay to what their children are doing.

Video games like these are just another example of how corrupt our society is. In addition to videogames, there are music and movies that are teaching kids messages of violence and killing. Video games like these make killing and prostitution seem glamorous and portray it as how people who are cool live their lives. Video games in general aren't bad, but exorbitantly violent games like these are not okay. Therefore, I think that parents need to start paying more attention to the horrible video games that they are letting their children have access to, and altogether, games like these should not be made.

The author's comments:
My friends younger brother plays horrible video games that are not suitable for kids his age. They include way too much killing and it is reprehensible that games like these could be played by children of his age (he's 11).