Violent Video Games | Teen Ink

Violent Video Games

By markie_anderle SILVER, Shaker Heights, Ohio
markie_anderle SILVER, Shaker Heights, Ohio

The violence and gore in the latest video games for young children are startling. The depiction of death and killing is not fit for any children, regardless of age. While visiting with a friend I saw the video games that her younger brother who is ten years old was playing. This game was called Call of Duty 5.

The main object of the game is basically killing. In the game, you can set yourself to portray a Nazi soldier, trying to kill opposing forces. In some versions of the game, you can even set yourself as a terrorist. I think that this is offensive to the memory of anyone who was killed by a Nazi in World War II, and it is offensive to anyone who died in the September 11, terrorist attacks. In this game, you can also hear the screams of people dying, and the agony of after they get shot.

Although many of the most violent games are rated “M” for mature, which means only 17 year olds are supposed to buy them, parents buy them for their children, or children who look seventeen buy them for themselves. It greatly concerns me that parents are paying so little attention to what their children are playing. It is appalling to me that parents would actually buy their child a game that lets you select your player as a Nazi.

What’s even more alarming is the fact that there are much more violent video games then Call of Duty out there. The level of violence in games like these is repulsive, and why anyone would make these repulsive games and distribute them I cannot understand. In my opinion, these games are a way of teaching children and even kids who are allowed to buy these games that terrorism and killing is okay.

Another popular ridiculously violent video game is Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. In this game you are a young man working with street gangs to try to boost his “cool”. In the game, the player gains health by visiting prostitutes, and then gains money by beating them to death. Although these games weren’t “intended” for young children, they are inevitably falling into their hands. Most of the time parents aren’t aware of the content that they are actually exposing their children too, which makes me wonder how much attention parents really pay to what their children are doing.

Video games like these are just another example of how corrupt our society is. In addition to videogames, there are music and movies that are teaching kids messages of violence and killing. Video games like these make killing and prostitution seem glamorous and portray it as how people who are cool live their lives. Video games in general aren't bad, but exorbitantly violent games like these are not okay. Therefore, I think that parents need to start paying more attention to the horrible video games that they are letting their children have access to, and altogether, games like these should not be made.

My friends younger brother plays horrible video games that are not suitable for kids his age. They include way too much killing and it is reprehensible that games like these could be played by children of his age (he's 11).

on Jan. 23 2015 at 1:27 pm
Honestly, it doesnt matter unless you know the kid is being affected. I mean, I can understand someone not letting a 9 year old kid play outlast or something, but if they want to go play battlefield of call of duty, just let them. Its not the governments buisness and neither is it anyones but the kids parents.

Leeroy said...
on Apr. 17 2013 at 2:57 pm
Violent video games aren't bad, they don't cause people to fight and kill. If they are already crazy, they might think this is okay and try it. Very well put together article, but i don't think i would change my opinion because of it.

on Apr. 16 2010 at 6:34 pm
i'm not trying to change the world i'm just giving my opinion. and i'm not focusing on all of the games, just the ones that are offensive. also, just because you haven't been to a place doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. 

Biscoff BRONZE said...
on Apr. 16 2010 at 4:52 pm
Biscoff BRONZE, Cottonwood Hieghts, Utah

"Give a man fire he'll be warm for the night, Set the man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his life"

yes they do I.D. ive never been to a place where they haven't.and listen you cant change the world. do you really think that kids are gonna grow up bad because of video games heck no(look i watched my language) i grew up perfectly fine im an A-B student Ive never as so much gotten in trouble at school and i play rated M video games all the time.there is one thing ill give you though, you are right about the whole parenting thing. oh by the way not all the rated M games are the same its the ones that are really bad that people focus on never the ones like halo where its more like reading a book and its just a competitive thing and games like resident evil where it is just too scary to be rated T for teen 

on Apr. 14 2010 at 9:59 pm
imperfection GOLD, Gilroy, California

"Dream as though you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
~James Dean (1931-1955), American Motion Picture Actor, symbol of rebellion

You are so right. What messages do violent video games really convey to the public?

on Apr. 13 2010 at 8:10 pm
some places don't I.D. even though they are supposed to. and regardless of how mature you are the game rating is 17 no matter what. and you're right it is somewhat the parent's fault but what i am saying is these games are grotesque and don't need to be made in the first place. Thank you and i did research it i've read the game information book thank you i understand the pretext of the story. 

Biscoff BRONZE said...
on Apr. 13 2010 at 2:18 pm

what is up with this whole double comment thing on my computer