A Style of My Own This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

Why do they have all those fashion shows with the most ridiculous outfits, when only about 2% of the population is likely to actually wear clothing like that? It just doesn't make sense to go through all that trouble to make something as hideous as what they make, though to some people it may not be hideous. Either way, when that type of clothing become available in store, it is way too expensive for normal, ordinary folk to even think about buying it!

And what about the brand name clothing? What is the big deal about it? Most people I know can't even tell what the brand of clothing you are wearing is, unless it is written largely someone visible. Why do people care so much about it? One can get just about the same piece of clothing, with minor differences, for a much better price, when it is not brand name. If one was stuck on brand name clothing, and they had little money, why not go to a local thrift store and get what you want? It's a lot cheaper, more comfortable, and it's what you want.

Lately, when traveling, most teenage girls are wearing loads of makeup, pin-straight hair, overly-large sunglasses, super-short shorts that shouldn't be considered shorts, and ballet flats or flip-flops. Why don't they have their own sense of style? It's because they are too scared to show it off, they believe they will be ridiculed for it, they don't want to dare to be different. Yes, they may be comfortable, but why don't you make it your own? Don't follow what everyone else is dressed like, unless you absolutely love it, and it's comfy enough for you.

I, personally, don't follow everyone's style. I wear whatever I want, and look however I feel. I usually wear either new clothes, or used clothes from a thrift store. I like vintage-type clothing, so I incorporate that into my look. I style my hair different from everyone else because I hate pin-straight hair. I like to curl mine. How many teenagers do you see out there with curly hair, that isn't naturally curly? My guess is not many.

If everyone had their own style, and fashion didn't really matter, the world would be a whole lot different. Everyone would not look like clones, and one can feel free and not have to worry about what other people think of them. Embrace your own personality, and do what you want!

xxTokyoXX said...
I love this.so true I wear what I want and don't care if others stick their nose up and smirk at me! its MY style not theirs.

jessicaa723 said...
I totally disagree with you. Fashion is not ridiculous. It is an art. The designers create clothing like painters paint paintings. They express their styles through their designs and clothing. 

SaddleShoeGal This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I sort of agree with you that it is an art, but I think that fashion designers should be more realistic.

jessicaa723 replied...
They don't have to be realistic. For example, Alexander McQueen (may you rest in peace) did not design his unique clothing for people to wear, it was just a way of expressing himself. But, anyway, nice article.