Teen-age girl’s appearance and the effects on their self esteem…

These days’ teen girls lack something very important, self esteem. A majority of teen girls try to fit in by having the hottest clothing, perfect hair, and perfect bodies; while also trying to be cool, and popular. They do this in order to fit in. They worry more about their appearance, instead of working on their school work. Their concentration is on their bodies and clothing. A recent survey was taken in a school, and here are the results...

59% of 5–12th grade girls in one survey were dissatisfied with their body shape.

20–40% of girls begin dieting at age 10.

By 15, girls are twice as likely to become depressed than boys.

Among 5–12th graders, 47% said they wanted to lose weight because of magazine pictures.

Health risks accompany girls' drop in self-esteem due to risky eating habits, depression, and unwanted pregnancy.

Girls aged 10 and 12 (tweens) are confronted with "teen" issues such as dating and sex, at increasingly earlier ages.

73% of 8–12–year olds dress like teens and talk like teens.

Many people are surprised by the results. Girls low self esteem, worries many teachers and parents. The question is, why does their self esteem change, why they lack it, and why they focus on their physical appearance? Some experts conclude that a pre - teens focus shifts, the body becomes an all consuming passion, and that is their main focus. "Self-esteem becomes too closely tied to physical attributes; girls feel they can't measure up to society standards." Significantly, girls are rushing to get whatever the other teen girls are getting, while affecting their self esteem. Quoted from an article by Anita Gurian, Ph.D.

The attitude of teen girls who think that they do not have perfect hair, perfect bodies, or perfect clothing can wreak havoc on a teen girl’s self esteem. Importantly, the question is how can we help them raise their self esteem? Some opinions from experts and stay at home moms are, "Watch your own stereotypes; let daughters help fix the kitchen sink and let sons help make dinner." Self esteem matters a lot, it is your courage, your confidence, and it is self respect in yourself.
For decades teen girls all over the world have lacked self esteem. Some girls will let people put them down and they will not stand up for themselves They need to realize that we are all unique individuals, and don’t have to be a copy. Hopefully things will change and get better. It’s obvious that we need to take some action, and help teen girls understand that looks don't always matter. What matters is on the inside, your character and how you treat people; not having the perfect body, or perfect hair, but your inner beauty.

SlowNimes7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 24 at 1:15 am:
Girls and boys should have good self esteem, not arrogance, also anybody can improve,even Barbie. So its a little pointless, do you!

komokomo said...
I think the ariticle was factual. it seems more to me that teen's care their look more than anything these days. the look is impotant, but they need to defind who they are.  covering up their body with expensive clothes or perfect hair are only thing that are important in life. 

LifeIsBeautiful said...
Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:02 pm:
This is very good, I hear girls every day in my middle school complaining about their imperfections. God made us all different and beautiful in our own ways.  Very good job and well written. You supported your opinion with facts very well!

m k singh said...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:08 am:
girls my insalt to the boring fish im no hinsam

m k singh said...
Oct. 29, 2011 at 1:03 am:
my love no love my no filing advice to the love

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 7:05 am:
This article is factual and informative, but the grammar's kind of sloppy and you bagged too much on girls with low self esteem.  To me, this article says, "It's the GIRLS fault for caring so much about looks", but there are Moms that doll up girls as young as 3 and shove them into pagaents and punish them for not being #1. There's not much of a solution to the problem that your stating. I recommend taking more time to put yourself in the girls' shoes, and you'll see that her Mother, F... (more »)

Zazawish777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 10:42 am :
Sorry! I was a bit younger when i wrote this and had some spelling errors. I do realize that there is much more i could have added to it. Sorry. But for back then when i was just starting I think its Ok. Thanks for your comment and please vote!!

Zazawish777This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2011 at 11:41 am:

I just want to add, thank you for your comments. Please rate and comment on my work. I will comment and rate yours. Thank you. 

~zaza

14...ciara.cee said...
i think this is right im gunna be 14 nd so many girls are this way!!!!

Nov. 16, 2010 at 8:09 pm :
thanks for reading it, and ya everyone is acting different now. 

t.i.m.n_w said...
that is so true. the problem for low-selfestem, is mags,tv, and bullies, trust me, i know. i'm getting up from a low-selfestem. i realized that i SHOULDN'T care about what others think, focus on the positive, and things will get better. i got out of it when i found out people thought i was a good writer....that's what started it, someone telling me something about me that i cared about most.

Oct. 31, 2010 at 10:56 am :
thanks so much for commenting. it means a lot! i will check your work, and my friend has low self-esteema and thats what made me write this. Thaks for commenting and rating.  

Dimples said...
Girls! Girls! Girls! i dont even know why girls are so obsessed with their body styles. Im not even worried about my body. I dont care how i look. Im not trying to look hot for anyone, i be myself. And ladies you should to the same, i know that some of  you may be over weight, but its all about what you eat. You should be proud of who you are.

Jennay. said...
This article can be based on only those teen girls that were surveyed but I believe that if a surveyed was to be filled out by other teen girls, the results would somewhat turn out the same way. Self esteem is a big part to a young woman’s life and without it, us as women would feel so lost. Those clothes, hairstyles, body types etc is what makes popularity and personalities. Which is absurd, because why should it matter? Honestly, it matters a lot! I, myself, care but not the point where ... (more »)

Oct. 14, 2010 at 11:16 am :

i Want to say thanks for your Opinion.  And Thanks for reading my article.

Please comment and rate.

nextJKRowling said...

I personally do not agree with all the points this article makes-but its well written with nice word choice

Thanks for writing! Can u read mine?

Oct. 5, 2010 at 10:04 am :

Sure, I respect your opinion.  Yes, I will check your work!

Thanks for rating and commenting.

Stevie said...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 6:01 am:
I think the author is right in pointing out that something needs to be done about this obsession with appearance.

Sept. 9, 2010 at 4:11 pm :

thanks for all the comment and rattings. Keep it up!

'thanks

zaza

lilly_love_writing said...

this was very good. I liked it a lot. !

5 *****  (stars)