Body Image | Teen Ink

Body Image

February 20, 2010
By chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
chick-a-dee-wasaga-3 BRONZE, California, Florida
4 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Braces, horrendous hair, dreadful fashion, geeky, smart, many people these days classify this kind of girl as not thier type or friend. If this kind of girl walked by teenagers today. Many wouldn’t look at her or even give her the time of day. But the real question is, what if they were her, how would they feel?

Imagine getting judged for what you looked like? Many girls and boys get judged for their looks today This is reality and everyone has probably done this to another person or has experienced it. It’s not a good feeling so why do we do this, because we have learned this throughout life.

Many teenagers today talk with thier friends about who’s pretty and whose not and ten I look in the magazines filled with beautiful celebrities, but truthfully, the answer for many of them is called make-up, professional trainers, tricks of photography and plastic surgery. Whether it is the media, or teenagers friends, they are imprinting the image of the perfect type of girl that teens are supposed to like in their head. Everyone is pretty in their own way and everyone is different. Just because someone doesn’t look like you or act like you, that doesn’t mean there not a good person or not good enough. It means they are just another person. Now it’s not only face that’s a factor for body image, things like height, weight, skin color etc. In my knowledge, it exists on two levels, psychologically and sociologically.
Many teens think that you have to look like a model to be pretty. Is being overly skinny, not eating regularly or cosmetic surgery really pretty?
Popular film and television actresses are becoming taller, younger and thinner. All these models you see in magazines look perfect because they spend from the thousands to the millions on plastic surgery. Is this really self improvement or self destruction? Some of you may not know, but some bars and restaurants have standards of beauty. They will only hire pretty women. These standards are not only being imposed on women, but they are being imposed on young teenagers now to. It seems that teenagers are getting older. Young girls are acting like adults. And young girls that don’t act like adults sometimes get bullied, because their body image isn’t like the others.
Many of you may disagree but judging body image is a form of bullying because judging someone for who they are is just not right. Many of you have probably been bullied by others for any one of these reasons, even I have, and like all other types of bullying; it can lead to depression, loneliness, eating disorders and worst of all, it could have a direct result in someone’s death..

It’s time to dig a little deeper. We need to come together to stop this horrible injustice that goes on in our society today, instead of wasting our energies on finding ways to fit in. While some get operations to battle their weight, others get cosmetic surgery to solve what they have been told is a problem, but in the end its not solving your problem, it’s just ruining your natural look and wasting money that does not need to be spent. Be the individual that you were meant to be.

The body image revolution is just beginning, and it will begin with you. Society can become what you want it to be, and maybe just maybe the beauty within will rise above and people will see a person for who they truly are.