The Problems that Our Quick Acceptance of Technology Provides | Teen Ink

The Problems that Our Quick Acceptance of Technology Provides

By oakshire24 GOLD, Greenwich, Connecticut
oakshire24 GOLD, Greenwich, Connecticut

In today’s time, technology has expanded to the extent that it is considered part of world culture. Within its reach lie numerous fundamental products including the cell phone, the car, the computer, the television, the factory, the digital watch, and even antibiotics, things we could not imagine living without. However, although the daily appliance of these technologies, few actually take the time to appreciate and regulate the workings of such or even the most basic tools we use. It seems we ultimately trust our scientists and safety organizations to develop safe and reliable products that we can later follow without knowing the full implications of such and, therefore, completely blindly. We do this because we actually trust the scientists and safety organizations within our community. Our government has made it clear to us that our scientists are both extensively regulated and are creating indefinitely safe products. Yet, in the past, as seen in the case of cigarettes and the cocaine drug, there are a host of things that our scientists and safety organizations did not and do not expect that could potentially kill millions. Pharmaceutical companies are, after all, a business and need to be profitable. This is therefore leaving the possibility for a rushed testing from their labs directly or as they apply pressure on other organizations, which can later lead to a disaster of unimaginable degree. Our society is, in some cases, too quick to accept new technology without spending time to come to a more accurate conclusion of its side effects. Out of the many technologies we possess, if just one was discretely harmful, our society could crumble. This is not even mentioning the panic or the lack of trust in the production of new technologies that would occur soon after.
Can you imagine if we hadn’t realized the potential effects of global warming in time or, paid attention to the quantity of tragedies that phone usage and driving has created? With so many humans experimenting with technology, if just one unpredicted problem has not been solved by the time a product reaches the public’s hands, deaths could rise by an unimaginable scale. Our species could even potentially become extinct. We, of course, would have no way of solving the problem before it became a threat to life, as we wouldn’t have any idea that the problem even existed. Then, try to imagine the consequential effect. If the threat was large enough or perceived to be so, the human race would enter a shocked state and civilization would seem to simply end. Instead of resorting to a calm organization, our preservation instincts would emerge, as we would only fight for our small individual clans, which would include the few others we are close to along, of course, with ourselves.
Even once the human race did finally manage to collaborate to reform civilization, it might never trust technology again. Much needed products that already were existent, such as medication, would be delayed for a much more rigorous inspection, forcing some of us to simply diminish with sickness. A large percent of organizations would not spend money researching new technologies for the future, as no one would fund them to do so. The world as we know it would be permanently affected for the worst. Where there once was a proud people, there would be crippled and desperate shameful figures. What we were once proud to present as an accomplishment of our race, we would run from in fear of death.
Technology is a good thing in our lives, as it allows for society to bloom and life to extend further. However, we must be more careful with technology, as one mistake can lead to disaster. Technology needs more regulation then it is currently subject to and now is the time to implement these regulations, before it is too late.