Music and Teens

Picture a world without music. Isn’t it dark? Doesn’t everything feel out of place? Music can lets us practice our singing skills whether in the shower or riding down the highway or excite and inspire us. Music defines generations, like disco, rock and roll, and Motown. It brings images into your mind of a time in the past and fills the gap over the years.

You will be hard pressed to find a teenager that does not own an iPod or MP3 player and does not regularly have the music playing in their ears. This is largely due to the dominant role music plays in teen life. Music says something about what things you are in to and about the kind of person you are. Whether it be hip hop, R&B, heavy metal, or classic jazz, it all points to your personality. It influences us also, but these influences can be both positive and negative.

Because music has such a profound impact on teen society, the certain things these songs are getting across are not something young adults should be listening to on a regular basis. At least half the songs that have come out recently have involved either a young woman dancing provocatively with a group of men ogling at her or a girl going to a club to be “naughty”. If music is going to be a focal point of young adult life, should it be this?

Materialism and violence in this music is troublesome also. Songs talking about how much money they have, how much money they wish they had, (“I got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind.”- Snoop Dogg) put ideas in teens’ heads that they have to have all the money they can. Themes of violence and brutality, of glorified physical victory over another, is also prevalent in many songs and perhaps the most common in this generation than in any other. This kind of mentality and ultimate peer pressure could lead to drastic measures.

Feeding young adults this view of women as objects made to dance and “get low”, violence, and ideal wealth is dangerous. In a world where this is already a problem, this kind of music seems to give it the green light. These songs hide the true consequences of the situations they display by making it look fun, glamorous, and the “it” thing to do.

Of course, this generation is not the first to have this problem. It seems no matter what decade you are in, music has always had this kind of premise, just displayed (sometimes) in subtler ways.

Music has not only been a sexual or material form of expression, but a societal and political. It’s a way to freely say what you think of the world today with a good beat and tune to make people around the world want to listen. Music today points to things like the tension between countries, terrorism, economies, politics, etc. Songs can be a plea for peace, a dream of a world opposite to the one we live in, or a wish for a change.

Though music has its good sides and its bad, it is a way to share with the world, a way to say what you feel in a unique way. Music is a form of art that we can all enjoy. And, as for me, I can’t picture a world without it.

AvengedJasonFold said...

simon cowell feedback--you asked for it... well sorta.

So here's some honest feedback that you might be looking for.

This needs a lot of work too lol. If you ever get the chance to take AP English language &comp in 11th grade if you haven't already, DO IT because then you will learn how to write an essay without the novice mistakes that this one has.

Overall this just looks like your standard school-formulaic-way-of-presenting-an argument with some sophistication and ... (more »)

sleeplessdreamer replied...

I get what you're saying about this piece, and I'll get to that later.

But one comment: while I see the argument on rap music, I don't know that just because some artists are portraying more of a positive influence in the genre overrules the fact that people are influenced by the things they hear. As a female, hearing songs that obliterate your self-worth (which-admit it- are heavy in MANY rap songs), and making you to be nothing more than something to fantasize about or use for o... (more »)

AvengedJasonFold replied...
Jul. 22, 2010 at 10:08 am
yeah i hear you and idk how girls can listen to and enjoy some rap songs either. Most people tell me lyrics don't matter and it's all about the beat... but most beats these days are really bad. But I'd say they're getting better lol.

Hollywog. said...
I agree totally with this piece of writing.
Music is basically my lifeline, and I listen to it whenever I can. But I do realise that the impact of some songs and artists on society is not exactly a pleasant one - and it's pretty sad really - when music was once a focal point for inspiration and political messages of hope and injustice, it is now all violence and drugs.
I suppose this is all signifying changing times.
Anyway, thanks for writing such an insipring piece of... (more »)

_kylenciaaa_ replied...
Sept. 19, 2013 at 10:21 am
yall some lame people who cares wat we listen to were teens  we should be able to do wat ever we want !!!