Technology, Good or Bad | Teen Ink

Technology, Good or Bad

January 19, 2010
By Andrew Sofka BRONZE, Houston, Texas
Andrew Sofka BRONZE, Houston, Texas
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Kelly, a university of Georgia student, loves her iPod. She takes it where ever she goes. Once a month, she goes to this party they call an iPod DJ Night. You take your iPod, plug it in for a few songs, and let some one else have a try. This is just one of the many reasons why technology is good for today’s youth. The technology of today has greatly benefited our nation, but there are also some disadvantages to it. Modern technology has benefited the youth of today much more than not having it at all because it has caused much easier communication between two people. This is because of the time and penmanship. By this i mean it takes much shorter time to type and email than to send a letter. Also some people do not have the best hand writing so it could be hard to read their handwriting but if you use a computer it is almost impossible to not be able to read a computers handwriting.
Electronics have had a positive benefit of the youth of todays nation. It makes it much faster to communicate within your social circle. According to Jean-Francois Coget and Yamauchi Yutaka, “... information can be transmitted and received with ease at any time of day to and from any number of friends”(1).
It can also make the ability to read what someone is writing easier. I know this because my penmanship is terrible. I feel a lot more comfortable talking with someone online rather than passing a note in class because I don’t know if they would be able to read my handwriting or not.
Technology has also made it a lot easier to meet people. In stead of asking where a person is, you can type their name in the search box on Facebook and you can send them a friend request. Some say that technology can, “create openness, self-confidence, and a greater sense of ease and comfort in dealing with others” (Coget, Yutaka 1).
All of that is true but there are some down falls to having technology. Even though the Internet provides amazing speed, it shows, “... that as people in this sample used the Internet more, they reported keeping up with less friends” (Alfonso 1). “Interaction between individuals is slowly diminishing as people turn to their technological devices instead of attempting to make a new acquaintance...” says Julia Song. According to Sunshine Hillygus and Norman H. Nie, “Socialization between non-Internet users and Internet users in minutes per day is 13.0 to 12.6, conversation is 14.0 to 9.6, and time spent with familymis 287.4 to 185.0” (1). Thisreally shows the lack of personal interaction between people these days.

Not having electronics would be good at times, but people of today are willing to, “...sacrifice some degree of social interaction to achieve this...” (Harris 1). Electronics these days are really cool and fun to play with. They allow people to contact each other faster, they allow us to play the music we like when and where we want it. They let us greatly increase our social circle. Modern technology has much greater benifits than it does downfalls. Many people of this world already have technology intertwined into their lifestyle, so should you.

The author's comments:
This paper is my semester final paper. I wrote about the technology of today and how it effects the youth of today. I said that is didn’t effect them much because they had been around it all their lives.