80's Fashion Comeback | Teen Ink

80's Fashion Comeback

January 18, 2010
By xxhope4xx BRONZE, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
xxhope4xx BRONZE, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Eighties Fashion Comeback

Don’t you feel like you have taken a trip on a time machine back in the 80’s? You see people with what looks like tie dyed hair, feather bangs, and Mohawks. They are wearing tight, skinny jeans, that are a variation of colors, leg warmers, and leggings. Well, let me tell you that you haven’t! It’s still the 21st century, and for those who love it or hate it, the 80’s fashions are back! Personally, I think it’s a cool way for teens to express ourselves and find what we like or not. If you like skinny jeans then go ahead try them on. This style is in.

I know my parents and other adults were embarrassed with this fashion and they would dread looking back at their high school pictures. They even laugh at us, because we have started to wear the clothing that they wore for more than about 20 years ago. One question that is still in peoples’ heads is how did this fashion trend come back? Well know one knows for sure how it came back. Was it the media again? MTV started this fashion and people followed. Teenaged girls tried to dress up like Madonna and guys would try to imitate the images of members of the bands like Metallica, Bon Jovi, or Poison. For us, I think it would be, because of people like Avril Lavigne and other stars.

What do people think of this fashion that came back? “I actually kind of like it. I like the leg warmers, because they‘re cute. I think it’s kind of cool, but some of the things should definitely stay in the 80’s like parachute pants,” replied 9th grader, Megan, but Dylan , another 9th grader, thought different. “It should have stayed in the 80‘s. I don’t understand why it‘s back,” he said.

What about the adults? “I think it’s a bad look, like leggings with the skirts. Even woman my age wear this and I would just think to myself ‘What are you wearing?’ I guess it’s not my favorite style. It’s not me,” responded Mr. Veight. Marta Coreas, a mother of two teens, told me that she didn’t care if she saw a girl walking down the street with skinny jeans, or a guy having a Mohawk on his head and that its was just a fashion.

Sorry for those that hate it, and for those that feel that they are being haunted, but the truth is it’s back and it may stay with us for a while. I think that it’s a great way to express ourselves and to experiment with the world of fashion. I do think that there are some things that should have never been brought back today. Neon pants and leggings with tutus, are something that most of us should think twice about wearing in public the next time we go out!


The author's comments:
The fashion world just keeps changing and I just wanted to tell people, that we are wearing, what our parents used to wear when they were kids.