physicians formula | Teen Ink

physicians formula

By taylorleiske SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
taylorleiske SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Physicians Formula created an ad that is supposed to sell for make-up to reduce the appearance of wrinkles. The woman pictured on the ad is 35, single, and wrinkled. She, of course, is a blonde, brown eyed, beautiful woman. 35-year-old white single, wrinkled woman are the main audience, plus younger and older woman as well.

The advertisement shows the woman in the right hand corner looking worried. On the left hand side it shows what the lady is “thinking” using thought bubbles. The first bubble says, is that a wrinkle, followed by that is a wrinkle. It goes on to say that she has a date and is 35, single, and wrinkled, and she is freaking out. Physician’s formula is the answer to her solution.

Using a young, beautiful woman and saying that she is wrinkled and single makes people believe that if only they did not have wrinkles, they would have a date. Having wrinkles does not mean you will be single for the rest of your life. The Big Lie is being used here according to the language of persuasion.

This advertisement skews our appearance of 35-year-old woman. Most likely you do not have wrinkles at this age. The lady on the ad does not even have wrinkles. How can you promote your product using a woman that is completely wrinkled free? You can not.

There are no signs of positivity by looking at the advertisement. The only signs I see are negative. The advertisement suggests that looks are the only thing that get you anywhere in life.

Overall, the advertisement uses clever tactics, such as the repetitive thought bubbles. The ad exaggerated wrinkles though and I do not know if many people will fall for this.