Plastic Surgery, Why Change? | Teen Ink

Plastic Surgery, Why Change?

By Kiwi123 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
Kiwi123 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming

There you are, a fifteen year old girl waiting patiently to get your nose shaved off half a centimeter because it’s just a little to big. Perhaps you're waiting to get your sides sucked in to give you the figure of Barbie. Get real, what’s the point of a new face, it’s not even you. As for a new figure, you can go exercise and come up with the same results, but you actually worked for it. Plastic surgery should not be considered by anyone, let alone teens.

Did you ever think of the consequences, the risks of tearing yourself apart? The Medical Review Board says that the possible risks include infection, a lot of bleeding or unexpected bleeding, blood clots, shock, drug or allergic reactions, pneumonia, big red ugly scars could form, and there is a possibility that you might go into a coma after the surgery. Is plastic surgery really worth it? Do you even want to risk it? I understand that plastic surgery can boost people’s confidence in how they look, but it can also make you feel insecure and out of place. Dr. G. Todorov has a Ph. D in Biology and Molecular Biology. According to her website smartskincare.com, cosmetic surgery might cause unnatural looks. Hold on, you’re getting plastic surgery to fit in and it could possibly make you stick out? I realize that we might not adore our celebrities if they looked “normal,” like the rest of us, but what is normal, as far as I’m concerned there is no normal, we are all different from one another.

A former miss Argentina, Solange Magnano who was thirty-seven years old “died in the hospital after being transferred from a clinic where she underwent an elective surgery on her buttocks last Wednesday,” which was December 3, 2009 says CNN Health. She chose to get plastic surgery on her behind and was killed!! No form of plastic surgery comes without risks, there is a chance of infection, bruising, or bleeding with any procedure says Nigel Mercer, President of British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons.

Have you ever thought of the expense of plastic surgery? According to smartskincare.com a facelift in the United States costs anywhere from $6,000 to $15,000. Do you have that kind of money to throw into a new face when you already have a perfectly good one? I understand the need for plastic surgery when there is disfigurement from an accident or birth defection involved, but that is the only time teens should choose plastic surgery. America spent $13.2 billion on cosmetic procedures in 2008 according to a board of certified cosmetic surgeons at www.cosmeticplasticsurgery/statistics.com, that’s ridiculous! Why would you use that amount of money for something that is not important?

Teens are generally very cautious and have a very low self-esteem; I personally know that I do. I also know that while one day you might hate how you look, it could change in an instant. Teens Health says that a lot of teens are self conscious and a lot of self consciousness will go away with time. Plastic surgery won’t fix it; you’ll still have those days when you just don’t feel good about yourself. According to American society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS) over 333,000 people eight-teen and younger got plastic surgery in 2005 and they still can’t accept themselves.

Plastic surgery is just what it sounds like, it makes you look plastic. Nigel Mercer says that plastic surgery is an “unregulated mess.” He did not say it was wonderful and organized, but an unregulated mess. According to dictionary.com plastic surgery is “Surgery to remodel, repair, and restore, body parts by the transfer of tissue.” I agree with repairing or restoring damaged body parts, but there is no reason to remodel yourself so that you look better. I know that plastic surgery can be a wonderful thing, but people are taking advantage of it and using it for unnecessary procedures.

If you are considering getting plastic surgery think again. Think about what it would cause? What would it help? Would you be happy then? We need to live with how we are, it’s who we are. If you want plastic surgery to get a better figure, exercise and make it happen under natural means, not plastic surgery. We as Americans as well as the rest of the world need to learn that what’s on the outside is not what really counts.

on Jan. 12 2010 at 11:00 pm
Jaylie98 BRONZE, Evanston, Wyoming
I love the article!

LUV,

Maddy