Of all the Fake Emos in the World

To be or not to be, emo. It isn’t a fashion statement, it’s a death wish. To be emo is more then just wearing black and purple all the time, it’s about hurting yourself in multiple ways because you’re so ignorant and think that the world is completely against you even though it’s not. Although emo-culture freaks people out, it has had a great influence on music and fashion trends.

The face of Fall Out Boy is bassist Pete Wentz, he has created an image for the band that is favorable to those who enjoy the thought of “pain for pleasure”. Is he really emo because he hates his life, or is he just using the image as a way of looking cool? If you think about it there really is no reason for him to be emo because the way I see it is he has it good. He’s a bassist in a band that hits #1 in the Billboard 100 and 200 every time they come out with a new album; he’s married to Ashley Simpson(now Ashley Wentz); and he makes millions a year with his band.

As you may or may not know he has had suicidal thoughts in the past. The lyrics of all the Fall Out Boy songs contain a depressing message bordered with irony, and so what helps him give off this image of being emo is the way he writes the lyrics to the bands songs for example in the song “ Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying”, he said in a poem at the end of the song “from day one I talked about getting out/ but not forgetting about/ how my worst fears are letting out/ …… now talking just a waste of breath/ and livings just a waste of death/ ….. when this is you and me/ and me and you/ until we got/ nothing left” if anything this poem is exaggerated ethos. It’s all a gimmick, there’s no way can a dude feel this depressed and have as much publicity as he does.

Now I’m not trying to insult Fall Out Boy, because personally, I love their music and the lyrics to the songs. It all works out because he can attract a group of people with his image and the image he creates for the band, and keep them liking the band with the songs they sing and play and stuff. Pete Wentz is an inspiration to all that appreciate hard core suicidal-cut-myself-because-I-hate-life-even-though-my-wife-is-hot-and-I’m-making-millions-from-my-band kind of people. He has the look and the way of thinking, all he needs now is to live the life of a person that truly is depressed.

Real Emo said...
Mar. 27 at 12:38 am:
Jesus Christ, this whol perception that emo is just about dressing black and being sad is what stigmatizes the whole genre. It's not a fasion statement, it's not a state of mind, it's about music. Writing pure and honest music that is more confessional than other genres but by no means about being a sad depressed child. 

ZeeBYoung said...
"To be or not to be, emo. It isn’t a fashion statement, it’s a death wish. To be emo is more then just wearing black and purple all the time, it’s about hurting yourself in multiple ways because you’re so ignorant and think that the world is completely against you even though it’s not." Lol wut? Being emo isn't about hurting yourself or being depressed all the time. Emo is just short for emotional. They can be some of the most creative, larger than life people y... (more »)

thinkhappythoughts said...
Kudos on the MCR quote! "It isn't a fashion statement, it's a death wish."

wannabeaphotogirl said...
My boyfriend would probably say to make sure that emo and goth are kept seprate as well umm i forget the other cateogory. Anyway, one is more off of style but emo is supposed to be focused on feelings rather than apperance.

t.i.m.n_w said...
Oct. 31, 2010 at 12:00 am:
not all emo's cut themselfs, my bestfriend is an emo,she doesn't cut herself. i myself write some sad crappy things that sound like i have a death wish, it's just a way to let out the sadness in a creative and save way.

Dick Dickinson replied...
Nov. 26, 2013 at 6:49 pm :
I thought all emos must cut themselves. What's the point of labeling yourself as such, and not even cutting? You just want to look cool or have others feel pity on you? Yeah right.

xxEllaxStarxx said...

You can be emo without being emo.

First off, I dress in black all the time, I listen to hardcore, screamo, depressing music. I wear skinnes, heavy eyeliner and I LOVE guys that wear converse. But, I don't call myself emo. I'm just me. Other people call me emo. It's just a label. Because people are scared of what they don't understand. What has become the norm nowadays makes me sad. What is normal anyway? Someone tell me what normal is, give me the true example of something normal. For ... (more »)

Tej P. replied...
Jan. 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm :
also normal is what the majority is and if the majority is emo then yea emo is normal but it's not...not emo is loll

frnkplss55 said...
Jul. 31, 2010 at 4:10 pm:

I have to say that this is a good piece, but you missed the entire selling point.  Emo is just short for emotional...it has nothing to do with what you wear or how they deal with tragity...I think that emo has become something totally different to what it used to be, and it is pathetic.  I know people that cut themselves and for you to think that it is such a crazy idea is really rude to me...yes there are other ways to deal with pain in your life, but don't go judging people before... (more »)

inheavenshands This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2010 at 7:15 pm:
All sterotypes in general are self destructive. People should always be themselves, and not be naive to fads of society. I like your idea that emo is a sort of sterotype that encourages bad behavior and choices. But remember that other labels promote bad things too. You know, jocks, preps, posers, art freak, druggies, sluts, metalheads, whatever kids do these days. All those labels suck, people should just be themselves. I think society, esp. teenagers are scared of being different and wa... (more »)

IntricateInk said...
May 23, 2010 at 1:50 am:
What????????????? Not all emos destroy themselves!!! My appearance is considered emo; long black hair, skinny jeans, band tees... without scars upon my wrists. I will agree there are wanna be emos who pledge themselves to selfdestruction for the scene.

margierose This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I somewhat agree with you....I don't like how you generalize about how all people who wear emo-like clothing hate the world. For those "emos" who do hate the world, but aren't actually depressed, they frustrate me. What use is it to hate the world and wallow in angst all the time? Most of them are rich suburban kids with a lot to be thankful for. The world has been better to them than to many other people. And those people don't complain. They make the best of the lot they've been given, and ret... (more »)

XxAnybodyxX said...
You do know that not all emos cut themselves? Many hate the world, but not all do. You dont have to be bleeding to be emo.

ThisIsArwen said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 11:51 am:
I would just like to point out that people don't hurt themselves because they are ignorant and overreacting. Maybe every once in a while that is the case. But not usually. Self-mutilation is not really something to be made fun of or made light of. You shouldn't judge people if you don't know what they've been through.

hate_love_theory replied...
Mar. 21, 2010 at 4:37 pm :
i agree with you. people who do that are not doing it because they are ignorant! its just somepeople feel that they would rather die and not being mean to you but your first few lines is anouther reasson they hate there life is because people who say that makes them feel no one understands them/likes them so...why live. im not saying this just to say it im saying because i am one of those people but ya anyway this was okay 3 out of 5

CSJS! said...
Feb. 5, 2010 at 6:22 pm:
In my opinon, 'emos' can be some of the best people in the world. Almost all of them are really nice and accepting to anyone who comes there way because they know how it is to be made fun of because of who you are.

WriterFanatic This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
is that really what you think?! Emos are normal people. You have no right to insult them. All im saying is, before you label them like that, get to know some of them

Tej P. replied...
Jan. 31, 2010 at 9:24 pm :
wow ok no thats not what i really think about emo, and i know a ton of emos, and when i wrote this i was writing about pete wentz and how he's trying to act emo even tho he is not, also this is an op-ed so piss off and lemme write what eva i wanna write about ok? thnx. bye. loll

toxic.monkey said...
[insert derogatory synonym for "poo" here] happens, people become extremely sad... honestly i don't care who's an emo but i hate it when other people make fun of them etc. it's also their own business if someone suddenly decides to be "emo"- if they're happy that way, sure (happy with their image at least)

siobhansgrant This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If these emos were really depressed, they wouldn't care about their look. DEPRESSION consumes your life. You want to nothing. Clothing, eyeliner, that stuff fades in importance because you're depressed. EMO is just a teenager trying to either get attention or, well, be a teenager. Emos say they cut themselves. If a depressed person cuts themself, it's suicide. For an emo, they make up something about how everyone hates them.