Of all the Fake Emos in the World | Teen Ink

Of all the Fake Emos in the World

By Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York

To be or not to be, emo. It isn’t a fashion statement, it’s a death wish. To be emo is more then just wearing black and purple all the time, it’s about hurting yourself in multiple ways because you’re so ignorant and think that the world is completely against you even though it’s not. Although emo-culture freaks people out, it has had a great influence on music and fashion trends.

The face of Fall Out Boy is bassist Pete Wentz, he has created an image for the band that is favorable to those who enjoy the thought of “pain for pleasure”. Is he really emo because he hates his life, or is he just using the image as a way of looking cool? If you think about it there really is no reason for him to be emo because the way I see it is he has it good. He’s a bassist in a band that hits #1 in the Billboard 100 and 200 every time they come out with a new album; he’s married to Ashley Simpson(now Ashley Wentz); and he makes millions a year with his band.

As you may or may not know he has had suicidal thoughts in the past. The lyrics of all the Fall Out Boy songs contain a depressing message bordered with irony, and so what helps him give off this image of being emo is the way he writes the lyrics to the bands songs for example in the song “ Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying”, he said in a poem at the end of the song “from day one I talked about getting out/ but not forgetting about/ how my worst fears are letting out/ …… now talking just a waste of breath/ and livings just a waste of death/ ….. when this is you and me/ and me and you/ until we got/ nothing left” if anything this poem is exaggerated ethos. It’s all a gimmick, there’s no way can a dude feel this depressed and have as much publicity as he does.

Now I’m not trying to insult Fall Out Boy, because personally, I love their music and the lyrics to the songs. It all works out because he can attract a group of people with his image and the image he creates for the band, and keep them liking the band with the songs they sing and play and stuff. Pete Wentz is an inspiration to all that appreciate hard core suicidal-cut-myself-because-I-hate-life-even-though-my-wife-is-hot-and-I’m-making-millions-from-my-band kind of people. He has the look and the way of thinking, all he needs now is to live the life of a person that truly is depressed.

this is my best piece so far lolll XD

on Jan. 31 2010 at 9:24 pm
Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
wow ok no thats not what i really think about emo, and i know a ton of emos, and when i wrote this i was writing about pete wentz and how he's trying to act emo even tho he is not, also this is an op-ed so piss off and lemme write what eva i wanna write about ok? thnx. bye. loll

on Jan. 11 2010 at 8:12 pm
WriterFanatic PLATINUM, DesMoines, Iowa

A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.
By Gandhi.

is that really what you think?! Emos are normal people. You have no right to insult them. All im saying is, before you label them like that, get to know some of them

on Dec. 27 2009 at 12:07 pm
toxic.monkey SILVER, Tashkent, Other

"Homo homini lupus"

[insert derogatory synonym for "poo" here] happens, people become extremely sad... honestly i don't care who's an emo but i hate it when other people make fun of them etc. it's also their own business if someone suddenly decides to be "emo"- if they're happy that way, sure (happy with their image at least)

on Dec. 21 2009 at 4:00 pm
me,iwritetwistedromances SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
If these emos were really depressed, they wouldn't care about their look. DEPRESSION consumes your life. You want to nothing. Clothing, eyeliner, that stuff fades in importance because you're depressed. EMO is just a teenager trying to either get attention or, well, be a teenager. Emos say they cut themselves. If a depressed person cuts themself, it's suicide. For an emo, they make up something about how everyone hates them.

on Dec. 17 2009 at 7:51 pm
RedvinesWTHCantTheyDo GOLD, Zephyrhills, Florida

"You make one more comment like that I will wrap you in a tortilla shell and eat you as a snack, maybe with some nice pico de gillo."~ Lauren Lopez in Starship
"If you don't die for something, I'll kill you for nothing."~ Lauren Lopez in Starship

I agree with what you're saying to a certain extent. But does having money, fame, and a "hot wife", really make you happy. Just because it looks like he has everything going for him, doesn't mean he's having the time of his life. In my opinion he's probably empty and just trying to fill a void that only God can fill.

Then on the other hand I do think that the whole "just because you wear all black and dark eyeliner, you're emo." is a little ridiculous. Some people just like to dress that way, and they should be able to without someone thinking thay cut themselves.

Jigjoo GOLD said...
on Dec. 16 2009 at 8:42 pm
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

Hello. My name is Muerte, and I will be your assassin today.

I thought everyone felt the need to hurt themselves...huh...Oh, well. Some people are just better at restraining themselves than others, I guess. :)

on Dec. 16 2009 at 5:21 pm
Tej Patel BRONZE, Roslyn, New York
theres a difference between being emo and scene, like when u just have the emo look but u don't really wanna hurt ur self or anythign then u are scene which is not a bad thing at all cuz liek some of my friends are scene and their totally normal, but when your emo u have emotional problems and like feel then need to hurt your self just to feel alive cuz when you feel pain then ur humam or something like that so yee peace_love_beauty ur not emo just scene

Jigjoo GOLD said...
on Dec. 16 2009 at 9:04 am
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

Yes, they think that we are emo. I don't know exactly why, I mean, we often wear bright and cheerful colors. But people tend to notice the more negative aspects of others, so I suppose that explains our label.

on Dec. 16 2009 at 8:57 am
peace_love_beauty PLATINUM, Florien, Louisiana

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Psalms 23:4

People think I'm emo? Le gasp! But yeah, I do wear black and stuff, but I'm not depressed or anything and I abhor the idea of inflicting pain upon yourself...my boyfriend went through a stage where he did that, and I swore I would never do that. So, I'm not emo, I'm not depressed, I don't want to die, but people think I'm emo. Wonderful.

Jigjoo GOLD said...
on Dec. 15 2009 at 9:18 pm
Jigjoo GOLD, Many, Louisiana

According to my counselor (and half of the school) I am emo. I don't have noticeable emotional problems, and the only reason I have black, blue, and purple in my wardrobe is because I like the hues. They compliments my features. My "emo" friends are not fakers, we are simply lumped into the stereotype because the others in our school cannot explain our dark eyeliner and penchant for skulls. We don't hurt ourselves (intentionally...I swear, the walls jump out of nowhere to tackle me!) and we don't care if we're cool. Emos aren't all bad, just as preps or jocks aren't. Really, just share the love, people.

on Dec. 15 2009 at 8:06 pm
sillypixxi SILVER, Phx, Arizona

" every day is the end of the world for someone"

this is absolutely on target! personally i dont think "emo" neccessarily should exist, or be used as a label, there is a fine line between wanting to "fit in" and actually having emotional problems, too many people have used " emo" as a way ti hide that they just want to be a part of something"cool" it makes me freaking crazy! but i probably couldnt influence so many people to be part of like a naked club, we could skinny dip or something hahah ( jk) but its really ridiculious the amount of people who are so insecure that they would physacly harm themselves to have "friens" i dont even think they should be called that