All the Wrong Reasons | Teen Ink

All the Wrong Reasons

December 9, 2009
By Kat127 SILVER, East Northport, New York
Kat127 SILVER, East Northport, New York
7 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Sometimes you have to let people go, in order to realize how much you love them"


Aren’t the holidays supposed to be about religion? Not anymore. Every year during the holiday season, stores have huge sales, especially outlets. The day after Thanksgiving, called Black Friday hundreds, even thousands of people go shopping. Millions of dollars are spent and enormous amounts of gifts are bought.

Usually the stores are just crowded, but each year it becomes worse. This year, one employee at Wal-Mart actually got trampled to death and no one even stopped to help him up. The crowds to get into a store are huge and people just push and shove. Some people even camp out overnight in order to be the first ones into a store.

The holidays should be about family, love, and joy. Giving is a big part of the holiday season, but you could give to the poor or the needy. Small children are growing up to learn that holidays mean presents, and don’t even understand the true meaning. So this holiday season remember to give to the right causes and remember the true meaning. It’s good to be in the holiday spirit, but don’t become materialistic!