All the Wrong Reasons

Aren’t the holidays supposed to be about religion? Not anymore. Every year during the holiday season, stores have huge sales, especially outlets. The day after Thanksgiving, called Black Friday hundreds, even thousands of people go shopping. Millions of dollars are spent and enormous amounts of gifts are bought.

Usually the stores are just crowded, but each year it becomes worse. This year, one employee at Wal-Mart actually got trampled to death and no one even stopped to help him up. The crowds to get into a store are huge and people just push and shove. Some people even camp out overnight in order to be the first ones into a store.

The holidays should be about family, love, and joy. Giving is a big part of the holiday season, but you could give to the poor or the needy. Small children are growing up to learn that holidays mean presents, and don’t even understand the true meaning. So this holiday season remember to give to the right causes and remember the true meaning. It’s good to be in the holiday spirit, but don’t become materialistic!

CP3bigplay said...
You make a good point. My pastor at my parish says that: in no country except America, has Christmas become practically non-religious. I agree, although I can't lie, I love what we did. As you say, stores hold huge outlet sales with discounts to get people to come in and buy stuff. As a teen, I haven't seen that because I haven't been with my parents on an occasion like this. My family though, has maintained a family feel around the holidays. We are together on Christmas Eve, Chri... (more »)

The~crayon~in~my~heart said...
Dec. 25, 2009 at 8:26 am
Can anyone actually argue with this? its impossible!!!

MadAsAHatter;] said...
The holidays aren't just about giving, but rather someone. Jesus , who was sent as a sacrifice so we might be saved and live eternally in heaven. So while, yes, it is nice to give to others who are less fortunate than you, or just give because you wnat to. Remember that there is a Savior who deserves our devotion and lives.

peace_love_beauty said...
Dec. 18, 2009 at 11:22 am
Amen, sister! I think it's ridiculous the way people act sometimes. Giving is part of the season, but not greed!

morgie7<3 replied...
i totally agree! Thanksgiving kind of gets jipped, the day after everyone is shopping for Christmas presents and all I hear about that weekend is people getting ready for Christmas. Thanksgiving is just the "almost" mark for Christmas, which is sad, really. I absolutely hate it when people say Xmas. It might just be a shorter and more convinient way to say it, but even when I'm texting, I say Christmas. Is it really that difficult?! Christ truly is being taken out of Christmas. I ... (more »)