LOL=D This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You've heard it before … that incessant clicking in the middle of the new hit box-office release. The beeping of buttons as you try to carry on a conversation. The snap of a cell phone as the person you are talking to mumbles an apology about the text they just have to answer – the one that's so important it can't wait. Texting in the middle of conversations, movies, or any other event where it is otherwise inappropriate to talk is as rude as answering the phone.

Texting has always seemed unnecessary to me, and has successfully interrupted many a movie and halted conversations in their tracks. I am not against texting as an alternative form of communication, but the constant beeping and clicking of buttons during events and conversations is irksome, irritating, and just plain rude! No one can claim to have manners when, as they talk, they are also staring at a tiny screen and typing a note to their “bff, Jill.”

Supporters say that texting is useful in situations where calling is not permitted; it is less obtrusive and more easily ignored than a phone call, perhaps even more polite. However, while texting does not involve speaking out loud, it is still an interruption and therefore still can be considered just as rude.

Why can't people ever wait to answer a text? Unlike a phone call, a text will sit patiently in the inbox until answered. The text will not go anywhere unless the phone spontaneously combusts. So why is it that most people – adults and teens alike – find it necessary to immediately respond to a text at any time of the day or night, no matter what is going on around them?

Maybe I am old-fashioned. Perhaps I haven't caught up with the times. Maybe I was raised differently, or maybe I am just plain weird. Whatever the case, I consider texting in the middle of a conversation, a movie, or a lecture ridiculous and unnecessary.

Shelby A. said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm:
Im sorry you feel that way , but personaly there's a line between okay and too far. some teens need texting , like me i cant live a day without my phone , so what if im just saying lol , they said something funny ! okay well too far is texting someone we'll there at a birthday party when there supposed to be singing . But people like me can listen to people while there talking and still listen and comprehend and text at the same time. I dont deal with the beeps of pushing the buttons t... (more »)

sailerc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 31, 2010 at 6:08 pm :
i know what you mean. My parents have decided I can't have a phone, and I don't really mind. Our parents grew up without cell phones and texting, and they turned out okay. You could even say that people are happier and better at communicating without all these crazy electronics!

emmak replied...
Sept. 12, 2010 at 3:38 pm :
wow, did you honestly just say texting was a way of life? it honestly doesn't seem to be doing you much good considering your grammar and spelling was WAY off. we'll mean "we will" while mean "during" just so you know. also, there are three versions of the word "there" and you used the incorrect one. it should have been they're not there. maybe if you stopped texting and payed attention in class you would have learned that back in english class. texting is a way of life? get real. 

LF28 replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 5:06 pm :
I'm not really sure if you should be commenting on her grammar when you don't even capatalize your sentences.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 12:11 pm :

Dear Shelby A.,

First off let me just say, what a typical teenager you are. You say you can't live without your phone? Ha, you know, before cell phones were invented there was this thing called conversations when you got together with your friends and just talked about things, not texted. And second, not everyone turns the sound for the keys on silent, I'm sure thats what she was talking about. I'm gald you can deal with it but for some people it can... (more »)

anonymous replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:00 pm :

I think texting is just different for everyone. Yeah, I text a lot, I'll be one of the first to say that, but if you know where to draw the line, then you're okay. For example, if I take my phone when I'm out (to the library or something) I just use it in the car and don't take it with me when I'm in a public place. 

And I see where you're coming from, texting does get annoying, but I turn my sounds off because it actually annoys ME. 

esist replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 7:52 pm :
I don't see how 'texting is a way of life'. People can and still do live perfectly fine without being able to text someone every five seconds. If you have to interrupt a conversation to answer an oh so important text, then why don't you just meet up with them if they're that important? Yeah, I can see why you wouldn't ignore something if they're standing right next to you, but this person isn't. They might not even be in the same building for all you know. And they're more than likely with someo... (more »)

anonymous replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm :
Well, if you're directing this comment to me, I don't freak out over eye shadow or lip gloss. I know that you shouldn't text while having a conversation. Sometimes I do, but the other person does it too, so if they do it, I feel like I have a right to as well.

esist replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 4:43 pm :
Not really sure who you are or anything about you so it can't really be directed to you. Just saying that I know people who do that and I find it sad but that's just my opinion. I was talking about people in my situation, who don't have text but is talking to someone who does. Just always thought it was rude when they're not even paying attention to me because they're so busy texting whoever they are. Conversations that go 'Uh huh...yeah. Oh cool' in a banal voice just seem pointless to me. Just... (more »)

minky54333 said...
Wow this article is right on point! It's very true and yes, I do find it rude when people start texting while talking to me, or while I'm on the phone with them. I try not to do the same thing, and texting in movies? That's just ridiculous.

caitlin.calamity said...
I completely agree. When I get a text, I only check to see who it's from because a lot of the time it's from my dad. ESPECIALLY when I'm at the movies. I'm not allowed to turn my phone off in the movies. It must be on vibrate and I must answer within ten minutes. Otherwise, he suspects the worst. I know most people who text during conversations and movies and such aren't texting their parents, though. Honestly, there are only 2 friends of mine I text on a regular ... (more »)

CP3bigplay said...
I can see how this frustrates you. I have a phone and I text but, honestly, I don't text that much. Well, at least compared to some people. My music teacher sends 5000-6000 texts in a month. Me, I send maybe 100-150. But that's nothing. I was watching this video on YouTube, and this kid in southern California sent 217,541 texts in March '09. The video is called "Did You Know 4.0." I think that's totally unecessary. It seems we're losing the nice VOCAL conver... (more »)

J1208 said...
This is very true. It bugs me to no end when someone whips out their phone when your talking to them. And when they don't answer to the simplest of questions you ask them while they're texting!

cass.zero said...
My birthday was last month and when we were singing that annoying but very fun song, "Happy Birthday", out of the corner of my eye I saw... my best friend texting. She looked up and held a hand up in apology. "Sorry it was important." So when we were done singing I asked about it. She handed me her phone. "LOL" was here response to the text. I hate the letters LOL. It is lazy and unsophisticated. And I totally agree texting in a conversion is rude.

poetishstar13 replied...
Mar. 19, 2010 at 8:42 pm :
ya know.. i hate to say it, but...lmfao. and sorry.

lmecum2013 said...
Wow thanks for writing this article everything you said is so true!! Trust me, you are not the only old-fashioned person out there! (That’s a compliment) ;)

crg_rose said...
I agree with you 100%
Way to go!

oceansblue17 said...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 10:35 am:
well ive always been a texter and it doesnt rele bug me if the other person texts while were talking. but i can understand y sum people can think its annoying, thats fine. and i am sorry to any one who i may of texted durin a conversation and annoyed u. :)

Y do u txt at dinner said...
I also think it is extremely rude to text during a meal with friends or family. Why not put the phone away for an hour and actually join in the conversation of the people you are actually with. IT WILL NOT KILL YOU.

lauren2323 replied...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 10:22 pm :
lol Very true. I actually took a friend's phone away for texting while they were out to eat with me.