LOL=D This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You've heard it before … that incessant clicking in the middle of the new hit box-office release. The beeping of buttons as you try to carry on a conversation. The snap of a cell phone as the person you are talking to mumbles an apology about the text they just have to answer – the one that's so important it can't wait. Texting in the middle of conversations, movies, or any other event where it is otherwise inappropriate to talk is as rude as answering the phone.

Texting has always seemed unnecessary to me, and has successfully interrupted many a movie and halted conversations in their tracks. I am not against texting as an alternative form of communication, but the constant beeping and clicking of buttons during events and conversations is irksome, irritating, and just plain rude! No one can claim to have manners when, as they talk, they are also staring at a tiny screen and typing a note to their “bff, Jill.”

Supporters say that texting is useful in situations where calling is not permitted; it is less obtrusive and more easily ignored than a phone call, perhaps even more polite. However, while texting does not involve speaking out loud, it is still an interruption and therefore still can be considered just as rude.

Why can't people ever wait to answer a text? Unlike a phone call, a text will sit patiently in the inbox until answered. The text will not go anywhere unless the phone spontaneously combusts. So why is it that most people – adults and teens alike – find it necessary to immediately respond to a text at any time of the day or night, no matter what is going on around them?

Maybe I am old-fashioned. Perhaps I haven't caught up with the times. Maybe I was raised differently, or maybe I am just plain weird. Whatever the case, I consider texting in the middle of a conversation, a movie, or a lecture ridiculous and unnecessary.

AuthorOnTheProwl said...
Jul. 8, 2013 at 6:14 pm:
I totally agree with you. All of this texting, social networking and other forms of technology is ruining our generation. It's numbing the minds of kids everyday. A lot of kids in my school ares so used to checking the time on their cell phones and digital watches, that they've actually forgotten how to read a regular analog clock! If this is what technology is doing to us now, I definitely don't want to see what it will be like in 20 years!

beautifulspirit This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ahh the perils of living in the Age of Technology. You are right of course---texting is getting to be a real problem. Nowadays, so many interruptions occur because people cannot live without technology in their lives for just a few minutes. TV, phones, Internet--are all obstacles preventing people from carrying on the art of conversation. So good job in addressing this issue. Though technology exists to lessen the burdens in our lives, it could be doing more harm than good.

Aspiringauhor said...
I definitely agree with you. I now have 4 less friends because one day, I went up to them and said, "I am sick and tired of you guys ignoring me in favor of your phones. I'd like some respect. So please, choose your friend over your phone!" And do you know what they did? They chose their phones! Obnoxious, rude, and just plain annoying. I wish more people had your point of view. We would have a much better world.

Destinee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 29, 2010 at 1:13 am:
It's really rude when people randomly stop talking to you because they got a text. 

I was talking to a girl and her phone beeped and I asked her if she had a text. And she said it didn't matter and continued talking to me. It made me feel happy. :D

Katie S. said...
I love this article. I hate texting. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who trys to hold a conversation wiht someone who is continualyy texting and not even responding to my talking. Urg, I have this love/hate relashion ship with tecnology.

esist said...
Had to add this article as one of my favorite. I find it extremely rude when people drop a conversation I'm having with them just to answer a text. If that person is important enough to drop a conversation, then why the heck don't aren't you talking to them instead of me? And I really can't believe how obsessed people are with their phone. My friend had a choir concert and complained 'I'm not going to have access to my phone for 15 whole hours. FIFTEEN WHOLE HOURS'. That's when you should lay of... (more »)

DifferentTeen said...
Oct. 9, 2010 at 11:59 am:
I'm not allowed to have a cell phone until I'm 15, and I'm 13 at the moment. I see all my friends, as soon as schools over the phones  come out. I never really understood the craze. My friend calls her phone her baby, and my other friends say they couldn't live with out their cell phone. Well one time, I asked my friend, "Why are you so obsessed?" she simply stated "You'll know when you get one." Well, I guess I won't know until I get one, but for right now I t... (more »)

thetiedyecrayon replied...
Oct. 12, 2010 at 6:55 pm :
I was just like you until I got a phone and I'm not super obsessed (I don't call it my 'baby') but your friend is kind of right, you have to get it to understand it....O.o

Magsie replied...
Dec. 26, 2010 at 6:37 pm :

i have a friend who calls her phone "baby," too.

one time we went on an overnight field trip where no electronics were allowed, and they were confiscated before we even left school grounds.(the place had had trouble with inappropriate phone usage.) meanwhile my friend was going "they can't take away my baby!!! i need it!!! they're going to hurt it!!! i swear to god, if i even see a scratch on it when i get it back, i am suing the school!!!" i just wanted to smack her and ... (more »)

DifferentTeen replied...
Dec. 28, 2010 at 12:20 pm :
EXACTLY! I mean sure I would like a phone, but so that I could talk to my friends about important stuff or to tell my mom that we got back from the cross country meet and she needs to pick me up because its freezing. NOT so that I can have mindless chatter and meaningless conversations about nothing! "hay" "wassup" "not much wbu" "same" "thants kewl" I mean really? They talked about nothing! I hate when people abuse a privilege when some people don't have that privilege

notebookgirl said...
i've never been one of those teenagers with the keyboard of their phone glued to their fingers so I guess that makes me weird and old-fashioned too :)

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm:

If I'm talking to you and then my friend comes up and butts in, should I immediately drop my conversation with you and talk to them instead?

If you wouldn't talk to them if they were standing there, don't do it over the phone.

Sweethearrt said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 6:08 pm:
okay! i agree on some points, like its rude to interrupt a very importnant thing, but if you are talking to someone, you might need to check ur phone. its okay if you say, "sorry, i need to check this.". and (as some of the ppl were saying here) i have NOT lost the power to vocally communicate. i talk on the phone tons, and i text alot, too. i do think this article was very well written and brought up some good points. :)

Joyce said...
Jul. 7, 2010 at 11:14 pm:

Wow! This is great...I'm telling...epic! I always hate texting...and I totally agree with you. Thanks for bringing up the point of the annoyance of texting sounds, I never thought about it till now. good usage of "they say" "I say"

I never texted before, just twice in my three years with my cell phone. One thing is that I don't get unlimited text, but I find texting an unnessary thing. Phone calls do the trick, unless you are in a real emergency that phone lines don't wor... (more »)

emergingtalent said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 5:04 pm:
AMEN SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JacintaT said...
Jul. 2, 2010 at 9:01 pm:
It's almost like you've gone into my head, taken all my thoughts on this matter and spilled it over your keyboard. This is 100% true, and I totally agree with everything you've said. My best friend ALWAYS interrupts our 'deep and meaningful' conversations to reply to a guy she fancies text message. It annoys the heck out of me! Thanks so much for writing this, I pray that everyone reads this!

shywriter said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 12:00 pm:
I know how you feel. I used to do the same thing, but then my mom gave me a lecture, then I realized how rude it looks. It's about time someone highlighted this issue!!

krazykathleen said...
May 5, 2010 at 4:59 pm:
Even though I like to text, I don't text during the movies, events, etc. I completely agree- it's rude!! Great job!

curlygirl said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:40 pm:
Ohhh my god. I know exactly what you mean. My friend does it 24/7 and even though she says she can focus on both conversations it still really hits a nerve when she texts while talking.

Shelby A. said...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm:
Im sorry you feel that way , but personaly there's a line between okay and too far. some teens need texting , like me i cant live a day without my phone , so what if im just saying lol , they said something funny ! okay well too far is texting someone we'll there at a birthday party when there supposed to be singing . But people like me can listen to people while there talking and still listen and comprehend and text at the same time. I dont deal with the beeps of pushing the buttons t... (more »)