World Foolishness Day is everyday, 365 days a year.

When I turned 13, I recognized it as the happiest day of my life. Some people wish they had never grown up, but I wish it with all my life. Perhaps it is because I am young, or perhaps it is because I am foolish. When I was 11 and 12 it seemed like my life was a living hell, full of ‘do’ and ‘don’t’ and long lectures. I wasn’t a bad person, and still am not, but I guess that isn’t for me to say, is it? I want to grow up and travel the world then live quietly in a slow city, and die without leaving a legacy. My best friend, Mia, says that I am crazy. She wants fame and fortune and she when she turns 28 she does not want to grow a day older. Life is complicated, short and sweet. I do not wish to waste mine, nor try to end it with a bang, jumping off a famous bridge surrounded by reporters, or shoot myself in the mouth in front of the Pope. You hear of many people jumping of bridges or over-dosing with drugs, those deaths sound foolish to me, if you want to die like that you might as well open a manhole in the middle of times square and jump in. Life makes perfect sense, and then is doesn’t quite make any sense at all. Have you heard of ‘Balloon Boy’? He and his family decided, quite foolishly, to spring a media stunt. Whatever possessed them to make that choice, I really don’t know nor do I care to know. Why would people do foolish things? What makes them make that choice?
Have you heard of the ‘Octomom’? Or what about those fellows who stole the Cal Ripken, Jr. statue? Or the Philadelphia Phillies world series rings? Or the boy who brought a multi-useable utensil to school the then got expelled and then reinstated?
Some are mistakes, some are attention, like Fred on Youtube. I’ll never quite fully understand these things. Why do people want attention? So the world can keep track of them? So everyone knows you named your baby Apple? I wish I was grown up, and when I say grown up I mean older than I am now. And so ends my tirade on the foolishness of life. I hope it wasn’t too boring. I know you may think it completely incoherent, but I think it rings of truth, and a little craze.

Impractically.Yours

AngelicaM said...
Lovely, honest, and accurate aritcle.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 9:29 am
It's very true. The only thing is that I try to enjoy every moment of my life, not wait to grow up. Youth is good, too. But people who want to stay young their whole lives are foolish, like you said. Great article and good point!

Eduardo P. said...
Nov. 9, 2009 at 11:24 am
This is a really cool article, mostly because I agree with exactly the same things.
The last sentence was really cool!
Keep writing I would love to hear more!
I would love to see this on the front page! 5/5!

Impartial2Chocolate said...
Hmm, I think America and the world in general has its moments, too... I don't think we should overlook that! And Yes, you've done a wonderful job portraying that.
Like the person with the same picture as yours says,
it definitely rings of truth!!
Great writing job!

Impractically.Yours replied...
Thanks Everyone! I wrote this on a whim, an impulse! Impartial2Chocolate, do you mean America has its GOOD moments?
No_Excuses,
I love your picture!

Lady P. said...
Whoa! I absolutely love this. The word incoherent is absolutely amazing in your article. I love your work and look forward to much, much more... never ever stop writing I love this!
P.S. I totally agree!!!

No_Excuses said...
How true. I love how you say -- "but I think it rings of truth", because it definitely does!
People do really dumb stuff just to get attention, like Jay Z interrupted Taylor Swift's awards speech, did she deserve that? I'll never understand fully the places the human mind will go to convince itself that foolishness is a thing of the past and that it is the norm. Hopefully this turns out to be another fad, or phase... hopefully.
<3 4Eva,
Moi

No_Excuses replied...
haha, our pictures match! how seriously cool is that?