The Plaid Invasion This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

As the beginning of each school year unfolds, an entirely new set of fashion trends subsequently emerges. This is only to be expected, living in a world where the term ‘chic’ is constantly redefined. Of course, there are some styles which have stayed with us and can be expected to remain for several more long, painful years.
On campus, one will find a very colorful array of Jansport backpacks and skinny jeans, not to mention the countless skin-tight shirts with brand names plastered across their fronts for all the world to see. Oversized jeans held up by shoelaces are all the rage, but why not just forget the aglets and let it all hang out? Oh, and let us not forget: no girl’s closet is complete without a pair of sweats and matching flip flops.

As teenagers and conformists, most of us are familiar with the aforementioned fads. But this year there’s a new trend, and it’s taking Arbor View halls by storm. Watch out…shield your eyes…

Because The Plaid Invasion has begun!

Okay, so this much is obvious. By now, most have noticed or taken part in this startling fashion phenomenon. It’s hardly a very subtle look, with its bold pattern and virtually endless spectrum of color combinations.
If you’re finding yourself with a furrowed brow right about now, take a moment and think back to the last five minutes you spent with any given number of your peers. Consider your surroundings carefully. Chances are, in those five minutes, (or less, quite sadly) you probably bore witness to the majority of an entire generation of adolescents intent on assimilating into a nameless, faceless society composed of carbon-copies. (My condolences to you for being subjected to such a gross injustice.)
Anyway, the point is that plaid is, rather apparently, “in”. Exactly how this latest craze sprung up so quickly and with such impeccable timing in relation to the commencement of classes is beyond fashion dunces like myself. But seeing as it is so immensely popular, we can try, at least, to understand (and very gently poke fun at) this latest fashion revolution.
What is plaid, anyway? Actually, it’s a Scottish word for blanket. The particular criss-cross patterns have long been associated with specific clans or families and traditionally worn on a kilt or tartan. The design has been around for centuries, but no longer is it only for man-skirts. You can see it everywhere: on shirts, tunics, backpacks, jewelry, even shoes. ( Sir William Wallace is probably turning over in his grave right now at the mere thought of a plaid purse.)
As harsh as this may seem to the percentage of the population that does own something plaid, be aware that it is not necessarily the multi-colored prints that I so deeply loathe. It is the indistinguishable mindsets of those who have (yet again) fallen victim to the influence of their peers to look and act alike. Is there no such thing as individuality anymore? Are we not separate people with different opinions and tastes? Or am I just asking too much of my generation?
Alright, rant over. Besides, who am I to criticize the teenagers of today, when I swim in the same ocean filled with the same identical fish? Who am I to tell them what not to wear while discouraging them from being told what to wear? In the end, it all comes down to the individual person. And if you prefer dressing like a lumberjack, then by all means… let the plaid reign victorious.

onceuponadream0619 said...
Nov. 13, 2010 at 1:00 am:
This is a wonderful article!  I really do believe in individuality rather than doing or wearing some kind of trend just to fit it. . . . I just don't know why people wants to clone each other especially in fashion wherein individuality/uniqueness or being quirky is actually the best way to dress up whether by style or confidence. . . . So yeah, take care always! Keep on smiling! Enjoy!

Schmandrea said...
This article is very well written. I had a very nice plaid shirt that I loved to wear before this fad came up, but now I feel uncomfortable wearing it because of people thinking I want to "fit in." I hope some day people will realize fads just don't work.

Heather D. said...
mmm, i've never read an article that criticizes the new plaid trend, it's quite refreshing and some of it i can agree on. Although plaid is in, some of it just plain ugly and people just wear it cause its 'in'. good write.

addae96 said...
i like this fashion article. it's not ditzy like the one i just read!! lol