Clones, they're everywhere!

I'm always perplexed with today's fashion. Not that it interests me in the slightest. But I've always wondered why people make some of the purchases they do. Why do people always buy the same styles of clothing?
I bought a leather jacket and classic black converse last year for the new year. I've always loved leather, my dad would put me in his old black jacket when I was small. I figured it was time to invest in my own jacket instead of just stealing his.
The jacket I chose was gray and fitted. On sale at "Le Chateaux" during boxing day. I'd saved up for two weeks just to get it.
I love that jacket (even now), because I know I'm not going to see someone else in my neighborhood will have one.
Not like those ridiculous plaid coats, or pea coats that I saw everyone wearing during winter.
It was like looking at "Where's Waldo", only everyone WAS waldo.
Did everyone's mother go to a PTA meeting and decide to do this as a prank? Or are all my friends and classmates in some sort of cult where they all have a strict dress code?
Why, why, why must people buy what's in style?
Doesn't it even matter what you like anymore?
I swear I once walked into class and saw everyone (including the boys) wearing a pink "Hollister" shirt. I was tempted to come to school next time with an "anti Hollister" shirt, made by my favorite band "Final Thought", just to get some variety.
Do you people really care that much of what people think of them?
Wearing labels and what's in style isn't everything you know. Try showing a little personality. That cardigan you saw last week may be in style, but does it fit you?
Maybe you're the type of person that looks great in sweat pants.
I'm tired of telling my friends that skinny jeans won't make you look thinner, and if I know what they're wearing is in style or not.
It doesn't matter.
You are you, and clothes are just there to cover you goodies.
Get over it.

Fate98 said...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 11:14 am:

Sorry i am gonna re write that it was bad.

Oh my gosh i am so glad lots of other people see it that way! My mother is forever trying to get me to be like the other girls. Unlike me she can't see that being original is sooooo much better. In the town i see groups and they are wearing the same thing as each other. I dont understand how they think thats a good thing.

I bought black combat boots (they were awsome) i  wore them to school and got picked on for them. Then like a m... (more »)

Fate98 said...
Apr. 1, 2011 at 10:59 am:

Oh my gosh i am so glad lots of other people see it that way! My mother  is forever tryiing to get me to be like all the other  girls. Unlike me she can't see original is soooo much better. i dont get it i see groups in the town and they are  wearing the same thing as each other. i dont under stan why they think thats a good thing.

I bought black combat boot (they were awsome) i had them on in school and got picked on for them. A month later EVERY GIRL WAS WEARING THEM. ... (more »)

thepolymath1339 said...
oh my gosh, i totally agree! but you know what's weird? all the people at my small town school don't dress all preppy and cute, like the rest of the copycat world. well, there are the cheerleaders and cheerleader wannabes, and the people that actually have their own minds who don't follow any of this nonsense, but anyway... all the kids at my school are wannabe emo's. like i'm just saying unless you actually believe in gothic-ness or whatever, don't go being all poseur-esque! i'll always remembe... (more »)

schlage said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 11:07 am:
Thank you, I just wrote an article about brand names and uggs. If you actually like these it's fine, but some people just want to fit in.

Sweethearrt said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 6:22 pm:
i think you bring up some good points, but alot of ppl wear trends like this becasue they are clothing that can look good on everybody

AisuP replied...
Dec. 12, 2012 at 11:32 pm :
No, trends do not look good on everyone. Take Abercrombie and Fitch, for example. Their clothes are very tight, and if you get a larger size, the clothes will get longer but not any wider. The other problem with Abercrombie and Fitch (and similar stores) think it's cool to just wear a shirt with the words "Abercrombie and Fitch" on it in huge letters. It's not really that good looking, but for some reason, the sellers think it's cool, and, because the sellers think it'... (more »)

HIPPIEatHEART_writerINsoulThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 11, 2010 at 1:09 am:

Hey! I really liked your article; thanks for sharing it with us.

I have a theory that people don't necessarily like these clothes, but they're scared of what might happen if they don't stick to what's cool...actually, it's not really a theory. It's truth :) Once, a group of my best friends and I went to the mall. We all dressed absolutely ridiculous (tutus, cloaks, fingerless gloves, gypsy coin belts, cowboy hats, etc) and just wandered around. You wouldn't BELIEVE how many people stop... (more »)

Clairepoetry said...
May 24, 2010 at 10:09 am:
this is so true i wrote a article based on clothing but when people cant stick to their own style they tend to just be like everybody else i really like this story and i agree completely about your opinion on it. good job :)

Hzano said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 11:24 am:

Yeah! I totally agree!

If you sit on a bench outside a store while waiting for your mom to finish shopping in some old woman store, and look at the people walk by you’d be surprised at how many people look the same. Straight hair, (sometimes orange skin…ew), pink shirts, skinny blue jeans, and some pretty sandals and maybe even a scarf, to be extreme, is what you’ll be looking at. It’s everywhere, and it’s inevitable. I just got a leather jacket as ... (more »)

Lucky.Deviant said...
Feb. 7, 2010 at 1:49 pm:
Now people that get their own style are getting rejected because they aren't "fitting into the fad" it's crazy how much of your personality isnt seen because of what your wearing or what your not wearing. Where's the uniqueness? I love your article and the where's waldo connection: is brilliant and tottally accurate

NinjaOrange said...
WOW! I love it. I wear Converse because I like my think canvas shoes, but it is so boring to see everyone else in them. Me and some of my friends have gone so far as to reverse everything and look outright strange. Haha, all the guys at my school have short, straight hair, so mine of long and wavy. All my female friends wear bright orange and green clothes. Once again, I love it.

sillyaardvarkabc said...
I love fashion but not cloneyish. lol also, i wear skinny jeans, not to make me thinner (im already weak looking) but because they are the only style that look good on me!!

teenroses said...
i agree,
each style & fashion can be cute by itself,
but when overdone, it gets old.
one does not have to spend lots on money on something ugly & trendy
when one could buy something cute, for cheap(:

Crows Wings said...
I totally agree! In fact, I felt the SAME WAY when I walked into my school! So, to go againest it, i cut all of my hair off into a boy cut. Power to the individuals!

rainpool989 said...
I argee with you. Even today some guy at my school tried to give me a make-over to make me like a clone. I alomst wanted to wak him in the head rigth then and there.

Linica said...
I thought your article was really good. I totally agree with you! I mean yeah sure you want to look good and sorta be in style, but that does NOT mean you have to have the same shirt and jacket as everyone else. What i also hate is when you get a cute new shirt and then everyone copies you and buys the same one! Ugh!

Joel said...
Nice job but maybe a little more description throughout the piece. Nice use of the word "goodies".

Jasmine G. said...
Sept. 29, 2009 at 5:02 am:
-.- I agree completely.
I went to school with a black and pink too-too [SP?] and everyone stared at me, but most kids said they loved it! xD Then I went to school with a black and pink hoodie with cat ears and a cloth cat hood and fingerless gloves. THEY LOVED THAT TOO! xD

Andrea F. said...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 2:15 am:
Bahaha. I love this, and my brand new Transformers t-shirt agrees.

Aly S. replied...
Sept. 27, 2009 at 12:26 pm :
Aha! Thank you! Anti-Hollister. I need to get one of those...