Modern Poetry

What is poetry?
Is it a medium that everyone can tap into, I don't think so
So does my poetry have to be sad or about something so tragic to be good or do I have to use metaphors that no one understands to be deep

That stuff is whack
so just let me do me
I thought poetry was something you use to release feelings
but these days poetry seems to have to entertain people
So I'll stick to my simple writing it's real

If my poetry has to live up to those standards poetry isn't poetry
Poetry is suppose to be a rythmic balance of one's mind, thought, point of view, and ideas
What ever that person feels not all the thought put into perfection of presentation

TanazMasabaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 22 at 7:36 am:
I always write what I feel, whether its poetry or an article. And if it sounds deppressing to someone else well its not my fault, cause words are my outlet and we need an outlet esp when we feel down. So I agree with you. I'd rather whats real than whats not.

KatsKThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2012 at 10:05 pm:
I think that this is very accurate, and a lot of people feel this way, which is all that really matters. I agree with Spring Rayyn, and think that it dpends on your perspective. Have you guys read bassoonkelly's poems? one of hers is about popsicles-- and it's really good. No, you don't have to use fancy language, or you can, depending on your style. Personally, I like to, but it's all up to you. By the way, I wrote a poem about a squirrel a few months ago. It wasn't very good though.

ShontelleSymone said...
As someone who has written a lot of poetry, I will say that you do not need metaphors no one understands or to talk about something tragic. I write about what inspires me. If I see something or someone and I like them or their personality, I'll use them as a muse. I think that the idea of poetry being absurd and too deep is just a stereotype. In my opinion, poetry is just expressing your opinion.

JenniferB. replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:41 pm :
Thankyou for your comment & you relating to my peice

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 24, 2011 at 8:03 pm:
I totally agree! I know someone who wrote a poem about hairspray. C: There doesn't need to be metaphors everywhere, but some poets draw metaphors naturally. I seem to do that somehow. But you could also just write a poem about a squirrel or something and people will over-examine it anyway.

JenniferB. replied...
Apr. 25, 2011 at 9:37 pm :
yep, thanx 4 ur comment

da1sygirl said...
Feb. 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm:
I totally agree with everything in that article. I have to do a poetry unit in school, and I don't really think your poems need fancy metaphors if you don't want. Keep writing!

JenniferB. replied...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 3:48 pm :
thanks for commenting

Whiitake said...
I agree! The poetry that I'm forced to read in school is just awful! I feel like I'd have to know the poet to understand anything.

thebushhippie said...
I totally agree! I like to write poetry but most of the time it doesn't seem to be really deep or anything, but that's okay. You should write more poetry! I bet a lot of us would really enjoy reading it, me included! Great job!

JenniferB. replied...
Aug. 16, 2010 at 5:35 pm :
thanks for your comment

MarinaOreo said...
Not at all! A poem can be a way to release feelings, that's what I do. I'm a poet and whatever you write and if you feel it, then it's a poem and if it makes you happy then who cares what other people say what it is and isn't.

Jacquiline G. said...
so true and good! i really like your style of writing. its good and true, people have to appriciate every poem and every poem has a unique form that makes it good, like there is no right or wrong poem all are good. i like it very much!

SallySunshine said...
Keep it up girl!

MyChey5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 19, 2009 at 8:44 am :
i really like this one!!!!!!