Expect the Worst, Hope for The Best

Today I did something very daring: I deleted my Facebook. I did not see the point of it. As I was looking through my so called friends, applications which said "what I liked", I realized Facebook was my way of lamely attempting to prove to everyone (exboyfriends, friends, family members) how cool and put together I am. How many times have you taken a picture and said, "Oh man, I have to upload that on Facebook! I hope (put name here) sees it!" How many times have you been out and something funny happens and you feel the need to make it your Facebook status. How many times have you spent your time reading what other people are doing while you are sitting on your butt doing nothing? Yup, thought so but no worries, I have as well. After de-activating my personal web page of pictures taken of me making funny faces (which we all have done and uploaded with quotations saying "God I'm such a dork" yet find ourselves misleadingly fun and sexy in), I went through my cellphone and started deleting. I deleted 100 numbers, no joke. I had no idea who half the people were in there and I figured, if I am such an important person in their life, they will call me.
It is great to be an open person but I was exhausted with being so accessible I'm not saying I am "too cool" to be friends with you but my idea of a friendship as changed. Being friends consists of calling me and saying "hi, what's up?" Not commenting on a photo of me after not talking to me for a year, being drunk and posing with a bottle booty in the air. Being my friend consists of writing me a birthday card, not writing on my wall "yo, happy birthday! It's been a while hope all is well!" because a stupid website reminded you that it was my birthday. If you are my friend, you would know November 4th is my birthday and I would like a gift certificate to Peets Coffee (thanks in advance!)
While I was cutting out the bullsh*** in my life, "pretty blue eyes" texted me at 11:33 pm saying, "Hey sugar I'm back!" Pretty Blue Eyes has never taken me out to dinner. He has never made plans with me in advance. He feels that it is alright to call me at ungodly hours to make plans and that is not his fault. I let him! You know what I did? After replying that I was in the city, (he lives about 45 minutes away which by the way, he should be willing to drive), I deleted him. I'm sorry show me some respect if you want some.
Last but not least, I remembered the reason I was putting my armor up. My father has always treated my trust like a drive by window now before you label me as "the girl with daddy issues", let me explain one thing. I wouldn't be this strong of a person if I hadn't had to deal with the lovely roller coaster he and some others have put me through. Some of us chose to be ignorant, and hope that the next person is different. To tell you the truth? He/She probably isn't. We can learn from our mistakes. Expect the worst and hope for the best. Love wouldn't be such a treasure if everyone found it however the hardest love to find is the one for yourself. So delete your Facebook and learn the art of being a mystery, someone different and less available to the public. Keep the people who treasure you and forget the rest.

LadyWisdom98 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You deleted your Facebook account? Thank the Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least there's one person left in the world with some actual common sense and social skills!

Arexandrita said...

About 3 months ago I started purging my friends list of people I didn't know and eventually I deactivated my account (because you can't permenantly delete it) But eventually I reactivated it because like it or not facebook is a part of modern life. For example, one day I came to school and my band section was going on about what a fun time they had over the weekend. So I asked why no one hadnt invited me, and it turns out that they had. Over Facebook.

So imagine how upset I was. The wh... (more »)

BlueRain replied...
Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:39 pm :
That's really sad.. I miss the days where people actually had conversations. Verbally. Eventually, we'll all have wires stuck in our brains and we won't have to say a word. What a life.

Fate98 said...
Apr. 6, 2011 at 3:54 am:
Ye i deleted mine too, it was kind of taking over my life.  Ps. "Expect the worst, hope for the best" Thats my saying how did you get it :-)

dreamgirl756 said...
I never had a facebook because I never saw any point in even having one. Good for you on getting rid of it! My friends have been forcing me to get one for a while and I always kept saying no because I never saw the point, and really don't care for it. Thank you for writing this!

HuggyPunk said...
I deleted my own Facebook page immediately after I read this =)

CatherineK said...
I agree, but I keep my facebook simply because I have a lot of friends that live far away

DawnMarie said...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 12:34 am:

Great article. I deleted my Facebook just a week ago. I still get twinges of longing every once and a while, but other than that it's going good :)

WhiteBear said...
Jun. 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm:
Omg, I can totally relate to this, i recently deleted my facebook simply because I thought it was a waste of time and effort.

stillness.is.the.move This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 11, 2010 at 10:56 pm:
haha finally someone is saying something we're all afraid to admit... do you ever find yourself doing somehitng interesting/exciting, and instead of focusing on what you're doing, you spend some time thinking about what kind of facebook status this is going to make later? I love facebook, I use it all the time to talk to good friends who live on the other side of the state, but it has become a way to present ourselves in an engaging manner to countless people without having to actually do anythi... (more »)

Zalmon said...
May 11, 2010 at 8:27 pm:
omg, i did the same exact thing, for the same reason. TAKE THAT FACEBOOK!!! oh, nothing to you facebookers, that's cool too.

melodeess said...
May 11, 2010 at 11:15 am:
this is great! i love using facebook myself, but i totally agree with what you are saying. and yes, sometimes, i do take a picture & upload it to fb so ___ can see it :D  loved this!

BethaniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I understand now. Just be an individual is the message. 

I think I understand. Just be an individual is the message. Thank you. 

I agree with your saying but facebook for me is about control. Only going on once a day to play a game and keep up with my relatives and family friends who live out of state. It's not about popularity for me. It's just a connection. So get a grip! Not everyone will live without facebook! 

author replied...
Apr. 25, 2010 at 7:35 pm :
That is understandable. However, I don't think you get the intention of what I am saying. Please read again. 

emmajumbilia said...
This is so amazingly true - thank you for addressing something so many of us unconsciously overlook. Love the ending especially! This makes me want to delete my facebook too, or at least a good number of 'friends' off my friends list.

Davina replied...
Dec. 9, 2009 at 1:13 am :
Thank you so much that means a lot to me!

hockjok7 replied...
Feb. 2, 2010 at 3:43 pm :
so what to do if i agree with your every point made, but still cannot seem to bring myself to deleting my facebook account?

Davina replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 12:19 am :
Well...I can't answer that for you. When you are ready to, you will and hopefully these points help you out!