Sexting: Know the Facts This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

High-tech has created a new low. The term “sexting” is a combination of the words sex and texting, and refers to the practice of sending sexually ­explicit photos electronically, mainly by cell phone. The incidents of sexting have dramatically increased in the past few years; 20 percent of teens said they had sent a sexting message, according to a 2008 study commissioned by the National ­Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy and Cosmogirl.com. Though many in our generation are taking part, few understand the serious consequences of this irresponsible fad.

Recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way we interact socially. Cell phones and e-mail have changed the way we communicate but have led to dangerous and ­destructive behavior. While some teens may think sexting is fun or harmless, this new craze can have devastating consequences. When a photo or video is sent to another person, privacy is lost forever. The content can be broadcast to anyone. The original sender has no control once he or she presses “send.”

The consequences of sexting can be ­severe, ranging from embarrassment to ­imprisonment or worse. Explicit photos or videos forwarded from person to person can cause embarrassment for the original sender. Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?

Many young people who thought sexting was a harmless game ended up having their lives destroyed. In one tragic incident, Jesse Logan, an 18-year-old from Ohio, was mercilessly humiliated after explicit photos she had sexted to a boyfriend ended up circulating among her peers. She eventually killed herself.

Imagine being convicted of the crime of child pornography and serving five year’s probation. You are rejected by colleges, lose your friends, and have to move because your home is too close to a school. You’re unable to get a job, and you have to register as a sex ­offender until you are 43. That’s exactly what happened to Phillip Alpert, a Florida 18-year-old. He ruined his life by circulating nude pictures of his girlfriend (which she had sent him), by texting them to his friends, her friends, and her family. The legal problem: she was only 16 and a minor; distributing explicit photos of a minor constitutes child pornography. The real problem: like many teenagers, he did not understand the long-term consequences of his actions.

Sexting may seem like harmless fun, but teens should think twice before hitting the “send” button. There is no turning back once a message is sent.

Mandytakara said...
wow this is so true. i think that teens that do these types of things have no lives :P

lillylover97 replied...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 8:38 am
i think it is great doing that.

amicrazyorisitjusteveryoneelse said...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 2:42 am
Wow, that was a mistake... I feel so stupid now.  Great article, wish I had gotten to it earlier...

Dimples said...
Dont even get me started on this article. "sexting"? What the heck is that? I think that sexting is a waste of time. You never know who can see those photos you send to others. They can show their friends or post your photos on the internet. Sexting is the most stupidest thing that has ever been invented.

amberglow13 replied...
you're saying that like you don't like this article, when it's very good and truthful. the author is against sexting. you knew that, right?

Dimples replied...
obviously.

qwerty said...
The author writes "Many teens don’t realize that once they hit “send,” control of who else sees that compromising photo is now completely up to the recipient. You may think you know your friend, boyfriend, or girlfriend, but can you trust them forever?" I absolutely agree with this, you can NEVER trust anyone! By sending a risky "sext message" like this you are putting yourself at a high risk of embarrassment towards yourself.

alixgirls said...
I believe sexting is the dumbest idea ive heard. ive never done it and dont plan to. whoever is embarrassed is also responsible for their problems afterwards

oiugkjgsdrljksaldkrj said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:19 am
sa;dlkjrrasdl;fjhsdarklajsdfbsadfjsdrhsdklrjgdshgsdrlskdj

amicrazyorisitjusteveryoneelse replied...
Oct. 20, 2010 at 2:37 am
true that oiugkjgsdrjksalddkrj

brack said...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:18 am
I think that sexting is a horrible thing, you can get into a load of trouble

tt(: said...
Sept. 23, 2010 at 9:09 am
i think this paragraph is okay! we all havee donee thiss beforr, no  onee is innocent. youu all aree full of bull sh$$ nd its stupid. byee

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That is no excuse! Not everyone has sent out a sext message. Those people are lucky (and smart). For those who have - well, they need to read this article!

horsegirl27 replied...
excuse me!!!! i have *NEVER* sexted before!!! and i never plan too either!!!

I'm glad!

Mikey123 replied...
Hah. True That..

SassieCassie322 said...
Sept. 8, 2010 at 1:40 am
this is a great article that really puts things into perspective. thanks for writing this!

jennifur said...
very true. these are issues that should be adressed and teens and kids who read this will soon see the risks! NO SEXTING.

SoulxFinder said...

Excellent article. Well written, and good facts to back up the point.

Cyberspace is a dangerous place.

Pengurl14This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I've made several jokes about this to my friends, and reading this really opened up my eyes to the harmfulness of it. no more jokes to my friends, that's for sure. I don't have a cell phone, so I've never done it, and reading this, I Never Will