Do I look fat in this? (Fashion myth uncovered)

How many times have we gone to the mall and stopped at Jc penny to see a woman of size sucking it in? Or have a girl walk past you in the dressing room line with a perfectly good top but she puts it back on the rack anyway? To many to count right? Well if you have a keen eye for fashion like I, you should notice that the shirts that are always on sale and unsold are striped or patterned. And if you are a master eavesdropper, once again, like I, you would see them thinking or hear them asking that famous question: Do I look fat in this?

The answer is NO! A while back some misfit who didn't look good in stripes herself told the lie, which is now a myth, that stripes make you look fat. On the contrary, dear Watson, stripes make you look slimmer, sometimes even curvy(and you know how many looks that getes you). Beware of the so called "proffesionals" or "trend-setters". They'll belittle or say something is "out" just to enhance or make they're trends "in". So before you throw out the stripes or put away those patterns please look in a mirror once more and notice the curves, not the invisible celulite!

NinaQ said...
 i never heard this myth i always wear stripes :D

Alisha.Mariiex0x0 said...
Dec. 3, 2010 at 10:37 am
Wow. I thought it was only horizontal stripes that made you look fattt ?

Dragonscribe said...
This is very true, but the fact that stripes make you look fat is also true. The thing is that the stripes have to run a certain way - horizontal stripes fine, vertical stripes fat.

Dragonscribe replied...
Please check out my work.

Dragonscribe replied...
Or is it the other way around? Hmmmm....I'm rethinking...

InvisibleNerdGirl replied...

No, I think it's horizontal stripes that make you look "fat." But I also think it's only really wide horizontal stripes, and the "fat" effect is more pronounced when there's lots of contrast between the colours of stripes.

In conclusion, prison jumpsuits are not slimming...

LovesForgotenChild said...
Aug. 12, 2010 at 12:55 am
im a "large" grl and i luv stipes they make me feel pretty and sexy so if ur skinny and u say strips make ya look fatter u better check ur facts again

gaga-fan28 said...
Vertical stripes are thinning; horizontal stripes are widening; diagonal stripes draw the eye to the place the stripes are headed, and create the illusion of movement.

SarahVanSise This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Stripes work on people who are "thin." Stripes do, in fact, make larger people look... LARGE! Stripes (especially vertical ones) actually ACCENTUATE the fact that someone is "large" by highlighting unsightly parts of the body (i.e. tummy, chest, arms, etc.).

Fiftiesgal467 B. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Yeah, Who even cares what's "in" or "out"? Why does that matter?

LexieIsInRescue said...
Yepp :) I love stripes and patterns

SeptemberCrew This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 6:40 am

sweetNINgirl said...
To be exact its only horizontal stripes that are flattering... and I agree with you. I purposely go out and buy all the striped/patterned stuff on sale because it saves me money and I like to be the one that stands out! Win/win situation!