School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

lizzymwrites said...
Well, every school in my city uses uniforms, and I think we're all happier with them. Because, honestly, what girl wants to get up at 6 AM and plan an outfit? Plus, you have to spend on them, but then you save all you usually spend for school clothes. And since you don't wear clothes to school, they have to be washed less, which means they'll look newer when you wear them to the mall or to go out with friends.

lizzymwrites replied...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:22 am
not all of them, LOL...

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...

I agree more than you can imagine. Lately my school has been having this debate. Rumors went from us having uniforms next year to having only collar shirts and to the collar shirts and tucking your shirt in.

I hate uniforms, I think they don't solve anything. First of all as you said, they take away our creativity. With no creativity no one will see you as you, just a clone like everyone else.

Second, why do we have to pay for uniforms when we already have a wardrobe. If someone... (more »)

Snicker L. said...

i agree and disagree. actually, ur personallity doesnt always come through with the clothes u were. Yeah.. it helps a lot ,but pple will show their personallity regardless.

But i agree that the school uniforms are putting restrictions on the kids.

liv.laf.love13 said...
I agree..im going to a school with uniforms and im sooo mad!! Everyone should be!! Like yo said we cant express ourselves...and now i have to make my hair look awesome since my clothes will look like crapp...haha

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

So, my clothes are the only thing indicative of what I'm like on the inside? Sounds like you have bigger problems than uniforms.

I also think that if we thought really hard, we could come up ways of expressing ourselves outside of art and music. Things like conversation, for example.

bubblee96 replied...
I wasn't saying clothes are the only thing that you can express yourself with, thank you very much. I was saying its one of the things that we do express ourselves with and I don't think its right to put restictions on it. So please don't put words in my mouth or on my articles.

annbug said...

I have something to contribute to this. I am going to a high school with uniforms. My sister is going to a middle school with a more relaxed dress code.

She's going to spend less money on her school clothes because she HAS jeans, shorts, polo shirts, etc.

I can't wear jeans- I need khaki, navy, or black pants. Hm. I don't have enough of those. My shirts need to have 3 buttons, with no logo. I don't have any of those, either.

I have tons of hoodies- oh, I need one wit... (more »)

EmmaNemma said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 10:35 am
I can see your point about showing your personality but there are other ways to show that even without clothes certain types of clothes. For my entire elementary school we didn't have to wear uniforms. Then, in sixth grade, I changed schools and we had to wear them. At first I thought I' hate them but soon I loved them. I wasn't teased as much as I was at my old school and it didn't take as long for me to get reay in the morning because of it. We presented the school better w... (more »)

shywriter said...

This puts the whole concept of uniforms in a different light and I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. Sometimes, certain students are able to wear designer clothes and some never wear the same clothes twice. This is discrimination against other who are unable to do so, and so it creates disunity, whereas in uniforms, there is no distinction between the rich or the poor. 

Your idea that different people have different styles is correct, but it must be remembered that no mat... (more »)

. said...
:) I am glad it is interesting. Its a different perspective,its not like kids here like uniforms more than you all do but then we all know its important.

ANGELSTAR14 replied...
Jun. 8, 2010 at 10:36 am
I think that school uniforms should not have because it's confusing

IlovemeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 11:24 am
We have uniforms in school but you can still make out the difference. The popular crowd wears the skirts shorter and panta lower. The nerds wear have their shirts tucked in. I live in India and mostly all schools here have uniforms. Its somewhat good here,it brings out equality. The poor,the rich.the muslims,the hindus,the cristians..all wear the same thing. I dont know whats it like in your country but uniforms are not that bad. You can express yourself in many ways. Maybe you dont have uniform... (more »)

bubblee96 replied...
This si interestinghearing it from a person in a different country! I just really think that with all kids dressing the same way it takes away some of our freedom and then once they take away our clothes, maybe we'll have to wear our hair in ponytails or we'll have to take the same activities or other requirements. All in all I just think that it will create more problems.

bubblee96 replied...
sorry 'is interesting hearing' *mistyped

MadameMystery93 said...
Uniforms do not make everything easier because when you have uniforms people still try to make it their own by either trying to make the skirt shorter or my wearing make up or jewlery that is against the code. and i know frm expierence because i went to a catholic school from kindergarten to 8th grade and everyone someone was getting in trouble.

TacosEatMe! said...
May 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

hello

I like the points that you made in this article, they made me feel like I'm not the only one that hates uniforms, some of my friends think they would be a good idea but I personally hate them.

bubblee96 said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hey thank you for your comments! They make me feel like I'm doing a good job! Please check out my other work, I really apprietiate it!

bubblee96 replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:15 am
oh and just so you know, this is my article so I'm not trying to take credit for someone else's work! I didn't want my name posted because it was my first article that I posted.

hola said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:57 am

I agree with what you said, it doesn't make things easier it just makes us feel uncomfortable

bfdks said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hey good points, I hate uniforms too! I had to wear one for elementary school and I hated it