School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

qwerty said...
School uniforms I think should be banned! Its a form of individuality and a way to express yourself.

AnimalLoverNayNay replied...
Mar. 4, 2011 at 5:57 am :
I agree.           

KunaiNinjaFighter said...
My school doesn't have uniforms... I think we need uniforms. At my school, girls get sent to the office, In-School Suspension, or HOME if they have a snag/rip/tear/patch above the knee on their jeans. Guys too. Also, low-cut/ spaghetti straps are a no-no and last year, there was a thirty-somthing teen rebelion that cost us a WHOLE SCHOOL DAY! Uniforms would be much easier and less distracting.

felicity123 said...
I agree completely!Our school has uniform and it just causes problems!People still have their identity once a term on no uniform day but still, nonuniform would be so cool

brkarcher said...
Sept. 24, 2010 at 9:05 am:
My school also has school uniforms! I do not like it at all. We are the N.P.Trist pirates. If one thing is wrong you get a mark on your infraction card, but the good thing is that if you have a perfect card, you get prizes,

tomtamtimmy This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 22, 2010 at 4:03 am:
i wear school uniforms. it sucks. one thing is out of place and you geta demerit. and they are unpractical aswell. i winter you givin the thinest bussiness shirt. of course theres the jumper but they tear so easiliy so you end up getting cold anyway

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I also agree with the things you two have said and thank you for your comments! I think that if we were to get school uniforms or voted for them we would still have some say on what we wear, such as personalizing your uniform! :)

toxicity_xx said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 10:49 am:

I disagree with this post. I live in the UK and most, if not all, of the high schools here make their students wear uniforms. Sometimes it felt kind of annoying and pointless, but i understood why they did it. Firstly, it makes it harder for people to bully others because they can't afford the latest 'fashionable clothes'.
Also i think the point about making it harder to be yourself it invalid. We always found ways to modify our uniforms slightly so we could show off our personalities.<... (more »)

babygirlinthetardis replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 3:55 pm :
Hey, I'm in the UK as well and I have to wear a uniform, but the thing with ours is that you can't modify it to suit your personality - navy blue only, 9 stripes on your tie, top button fastened, shirt tucked in, skirts no shorter than knee, cardis must be v necked and no longer than waist length, shoes (don't get me started), no flower hair bobbles, no belts, no make up... etc etc - so yes I do agree with you that they're good but at my school it is impossible to be yourself with these uniforms... (more »)

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 3:18 pm :
Hey! I like having people from other countries giving their veiws because not every country is the same...thanks guys!

allyg This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:14 pm :
I'm in the UK too, at boarding school and until year 13 (senior year of high school) we had to wear full uniforms- striped shirt, navy skirt, navy jumper, and a tie in your house color. I personally didn't mind it at all- we were allowed to wear home clothes in the evening and on weekends, and I think it made for a great distinction between 'school time' and 'home time'. Plus, I think that for me at least, expressing myself is more about what I do than what I wear.

DD99 replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 8:51 am :

I think that schools which have had uniforms as a part of their tradition, should allow the students a bit more in the way of freedom of expression, such as allowing a casual clothing day, as is done in the USa.

But then, I am from a school system, where you started school at *, and graduated at 20, and the only days you got to wear anything outside the uniform, which was mandatory, was on holidays.

The school I went to was both a "boarding school - military academy", where in t... (more »)

Christamonkey said...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 10:29 am:
I feel that it would help kids out with being "uncool" but then again there is freedom of expression and I support that

KunaiNinjaFighter replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm :
Well, I think that with uniforms, you don't have to be "cool". (do NOT get me started on being "uncool") You can espress yourself in other ways, weather or not you're cool

PearlWhiteNight said...
My school switched to uniforms last year, and I really don't like them. The reason they switched was because "they thought it created unneeded stereotypes and took away from a peaceful learning environment" Though it does create some streotypes (as you mentioned in your post- "girly girls wear pink and frilly, goth wear black") I do feel that clothes are a way in which we can express ourselves, which is why those stereotypes are created. I wish we didn't have uniforms, but I will suffi... (more »)

Eman_Neercs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"Girly girls wear pink and frilly things, ...goths usually wear black..." it almost sounds like clothes are what we use to stereotype people at a glance, and do we really need that? If you want to know what someone's really like, just talk to them. And sometimes I think it would be nice to get dressed for school without having to wonder if what I'm wearing is dumb, lame, or frumpy in some way. I personally don't think clothes say that much about me...what if I wear a striped shirt today? Does th... (more »)

Shelly-T said...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 9:18 am:
I think I would rather have people see who I am through my actions, not the way I dress.  If we are solely reliant on expressing ourselves through clothes, not actions, then uniforms are necessary. 

Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm :
I'm not saying we are soley reliant on our clothes to tell people who we are and what we're like, I'm saying its nice that we have clothes to express ourselves with.

lizzymwrites said...
Well, every school in my city uses uniforms, and I think we're all happier with them. Because, honestly, what girl wants to get up at 6 AM and plan an outfit? Plus, you have to spend on them, but then you save all you usually spend for school clothes. And since you don't wear clothes to school, they have to be washed less, which means they'll look newer when you wear them to the mall or to go out with friends.

DifferentTeenThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm :
I get up at 5 AM to get ready for school, and I love it. Plus uniforms are usually ugly and not fitting for everyone.