School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

toxicity_xx said...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 10:49 am:

I disagree with this post. I live in the UK and most, if not all, of the high schools here make their students wear uniforms. Sometimes it felt kind of annoying and pointless, but i understood why they did it. Firstly, it makes it harder for people to bully others because they can't afford the latest 'fashionable clothes'.
Also i think the point about making it harder to be yourself it invalid. We always found ways to modify our uniforms slightly so we could show off our personalities.<... (more »)

allyg This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 4:14 pm :
I'm in the UK too, at boarding school and until year 13 (senior year of high school) we had to wear full uniforms- striped shirt, navy skirt, navy jumper, and a tie in your house color. I personally didn't mind it at all- we were allowed to wear home clothes in the evening and on weekends, and I think it made for a great distinction between 'school time' and 'home time'. Plus, I think that for me at least, expressing myself is more about what I do than what I wear.

DD99 replied...
Nov. 26, 2010 at 8:51 am :

I think that schools which have had uniforms as a part of their tradition, should allow the students a bit more in the way of freedom of expression, such as allowing a casual clothing day, as is done in the USa.

But then, I am from a school system, where you started school at *, and graduated at 20, and the only days you got to wear anything outside the uniform, which was mandatory, was on holidays.

The school I went to was both a "boarding school - military academy", where in t... (more »)

ChristamonkeyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Sept. 9, 2010 at 10:29 am:
I feel that it would help kids out with being "uncool" but then again there is freedom of expression and I support that

KunaiNinjaFighter replied...
Oct. 1, 2010 at 9:10 pm :
Well, I think that with uniforms, you don't have to be "cool". (do NOT get me started on being "uncool") You can espress yourself in other ways, weather or not you're cool

PearlWhiteNight said...
My school switched to uniforms last year, and I really don't like them. The reason they switched was because "they thought it created unneeded stereotypes and took away from a peaceful learning environment" Though it does create some streotypes (as you mentioned in your post- "girly girls wear pink and frilly, goth wear black") I do feel that clothes are a way in which we can express ourselves, which is why those stereotypes are created. I wish we didn't have uniforms, but I will suffi... (more »)

Eman_Neercs This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
"Girly girls wear pink and frilly things, ...goths usually wear black..." it almost sounds like clothes are what we use to stereotype people at a glance, and do we really need that? If you want to know what someone's really like, just talk to them. And sometimes I think it would be nice to get dressed for school without having to wonder if what I'm wearing is dumb, lame, or frumpy in some way. I personally don't think clothes say that much about me...what if I wear a striped shirt today? Does th... (more »)

Shelly-T said...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 9:18 am:
I think I would rather have people see who I am through my actions, not the way I dress.  If we are solely reliant on expressing ourselves through clothes, not actions, then uniforms are necessary. 

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm :
I'm not saying we are soley reliant on our clothes to tell people who we are and what we're like, I'm saying its nice that we have clothes to express ourselves with.

lizzymwrites said...
Well, every school in my city uses uniforms, and I think we're all happier with them. Because, honestly, what girl wants to get up at 6 AM and plan an outfit? Plus, you have to spend on them, but then you save all you usually spend for school clothes. And since you don't wear clothes to school, they have to be washed less, which means they'll look newer when you wear them to the mall or to go out with friends.

DifferentTeen replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 5:40 pm :
I get up at 5 AM to get ready for school, and I love it. Plus uniforms are usually ugly and not fitting for everyone.

lizzymwrites replied...
Aug. 9, 2010 at 10:22 am :
not all of them, LOL...

DifferentTeen said...

I agree more than you can imagine. Lately my school has been having this debate. Rumors went from us having uniforms next year to having only collar shirts and to the collar shirts and tucking your shirt in.

I hate uniforms, I think they don't solve anything. First of all as you said, they take away our creativity. With no creativity no one will see you as you, just a clone like everyone else.

Second, why do we have to pay for uniforms when we already have a wardrobe. If someone... (more »)

Snicker L. said...
Jul. 28, 2010 at 8:55 pm:

i agree and disagree. actually, ur personallity doesnt always come through with the clothes u were. Yeah.. it helps a lot ,but pple will show their personallity regardless.

But i agree that the school uniforms are putting restrictions on the kids.

liv.laf.love13 said...
Jul. 26, 2010 at 11:17 pm:
I agree..im going to a school with uniforms and im sooo mad!! Everyone should be!! Like yo said we cant express ourselves...and now i have to make my hair look awesome since my clothes will look like crapp...haha

Scarecrow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 17, 2010 at 2:04 pm:

So, my clothes are the only thing indicative of what I'm like on the inside? Sounds like you have bigger problems than uniforms.

I also think that if we thought really hard, we could come up ways of expressing ourselves outside of art and music. Things like conversation, for example.

Jul. 30, 2010 at 12:15 pm :
I wasn't saying clothes are the only thing that you can express yourself with, thank you very much. I was saying its one of the things that we do express ourselves with and I don't think its right to put restictions on it. So please don't put words in my mouth or on my articles.

annbug said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 5:58 pm:

I have something to contribute to this. I am going to a high school with uniforms. My sister is going to a middle school with a more relaxed dress code.

She's going to spend less money on her school clothes because she HAS jeans, shorts, polo shirts, etc.

I can't wear jeans- I need khaki, navy, or black pants. Hm. I don't have enough of those. My shirts need to have 3 buttons, with no logo. I don't have any of those, either.

I have tons of hoodies- oh, I need one wit... (more »)

EmmaNemma said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 10:35 am:
I can see your point about showing your personality but there are other ways to show that even without clothes certain types of clothes. For my entire elementary school we didn't have to wear uniforms. Then, in sixth grade, I changed schools and we had to wear them. At first I thought I' hate them but soon I loved them. I wasn't teased as much as I was at my old school and it didn't take as long for me to get reay in the morning because of it. We presented the school better w... (more »)

shywriter said...
Jun. 20, 2010 at 12:05 pm:

This puts the whole concept of uniforms in a different light and I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. Sometimes, certain students are able to wear designer clothes and some never wear the same clothes twice. This is discrimination against other who are unable to do so, and so it creates disunity, whereas in uniforms, there is no distinction between the rich or the poor. 

Your idea that different people have different styles is correct, but it must be remembered that no mat... (more »)

. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm:
:) I am glad it is interesting. Its a different perspective,its not like kids here like uniforms more than you all do but then we all know its important.