School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

mnt87 said...
I think my opinion is the minority among everyone else's because I personally like uniforms. I went to a non-uniform school for a year and I found it to be frustrating because I didn't have clothes like all the other kids (I didn't really have a lot of clothes anyway) and I wanted to fit in, but then again no one really cared that much. My uniformed school makes life so much easier because I don't have to waste time every morning thinking of what I should wear etc. I throw on my... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
With me, it's not that easy because everything can get you suspended. We're not even allowed to wear weave or die our hair certain colors (we're only allowed to die it black or blond). Your socks have to be solid white. We're not allowed to wear certain frabrics. Buttons are prohibited. And tennis (or athletic) shoes are prohibited, but you're required to have them on in the gym. If you get caught with them on you or in your locker, you're getting suspended (which is like, WHAT?).

mnt87 replied...
Woaah. That's crazy. Compared to your school, my school is so RELAXED about uniforms. I can usually get away with wearing dark wash jeans and coloured hoodies and stuff most of the time. Ugh, strict schools are just too much. Lol, how do people do it! I'd go crazy. 

yourock124 said...
im doing a project in schoool, & this really helped thank yoU!

annilovescheese said...
there are lots of good points on this website, but seriously think about it. people say uniforms are bad because they stop people being creative, but heres what i think, uniforms are good because they stop stressful mornings of finding clothes that are suitable and 'cool'. i dont know about you but i have to get up a 6 in the morning and i like to SLEEP!!!! and you can still be creative and wear a uniform, like girls at my school can were there skirt high waisted or out, and were their hair up o... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
I disagree. Maybe because our rules are different. At my school all shirts must be tucked in (which is wuite unflattering on fat people), you can't die your hair certain colors, or wear weave. Your socks have to be solid white. No buttons. Solid black or brown belt. Your clothes still have to be suitable because there are designer uniform clothes and they are the only thing that stands out that's allowed.

Cheerleaderr12 said...
I have never personally gone to a school where uniforms were required. I don't think that school uniforms would cause more problems, but instead would resolve them. If everyone is dressed the same the focus from what your wearing is shifted to what you should be paying attention to. Other problems do come up though like name brand and hairstyles as well as make-up. I don't think eliminating one problem is going to solve everything but would certainly make high school a lot less stressful.

idkkk said...
I dont think uniforms are that bad of an idea except for the fact that they hide the time for our personality to shine...plus once your an adult when do people restrict you on what you wear???

Juliannacaffs said...
Honestly, I don't see why people make such a big deal out of uniforms. I go to a private school and therefore, I wear a uniform. I love my uniform, not because it's attractive (because I promise you it's not), but because it makes my life easier. I can sleep later in the morning and not have to worry about picking out clothes for school. As far as self-expression goes, the uniforms are ONLY for school, which is a pretty bad place for "expressing" yourself since you're required to ... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
Well, I think you're talking about a real "uniform" where everyone gets the EXACT same outfit and it's usually at a discount if you REALLY REALLY need one. What I'm (and I suspect others) are talking about is a really, really strict dress code. I think a real uniform is an awesome idea, but a strict dresscode is terrible.

SeerKnowsBest said...
uniforms don't make things better. mean people are still mean no matter how they are dressed

dairishman said...
Jan. 25, 2011 at 7:52 am
uniforms can blow me!

creationmaker23 said...
yes that is true. any one who dares to put out "the clothing does not affect what you bring out" is completely blind. They dont know and we dont know how someone is if we dont see their style/personality.

Thalia_Carson_I replied...
You can try talking to them. Just a theory I have, but then again, I wear a uniform to school.

mariaa said...
I agree, my school have uniforms, I have them, we can only wear maroon and khaki. I hate, alot, but my friend thinks I'm weird cuz I dont like uniforms. She's says ppl can make fun of you more, ppl can see if you have money issues, but I dont see it like that. I see it, as with uniforms, you r the same as the next person, with w/o uniforms, you r all different from eachother.

maddie3712 said...
Dec. 13, 2010 at 11:37 am
i wouldnt like a uniform because it would keep us from expressing ourself

period 8 said...
People would be depressed if they are not allowed to dress how they wish.

period 8 said...
I feel as though many school related problems would cease to exist and kids would have a better chance for success.

period 7 said...
In the real world, for the most part, people are not required to wear matching uniforms. People prefer to judge others and be judged as to what they wear.

period 7 said...
I think school uniforms are a good idea because you don't get judged by kids and there would be fewer socail related problems at school.