School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

HammiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Im from Glasgow, a state school and everyone has to wear a uniform, everyone in britain has to were a uniform. My uniform is white shrt, red tie, black skirt/trousers ect... But people can alter it to suit them, Uniform gives us the disipline that made britain the greates nation on earth at one stage. Britain has a reputaion, glasgow especially for being a rough, tough area, its not that we a re rough but are diciplined, americans could learn from britain and learn that for people to treat each ... (more »)

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I understand what you were saying about uniforms but when you start getting into which country is better it isnt a matter of what kind of clothing disipline you have. And I like how you said britain was the greatest nation in the world...was being the key word here, now america is the only super power left after the cold war, please dont post garbage such as that americans should learn from britain because we learned from you, altered your ideas to fit the real world are the greatest nation in t... (more »)

HammiThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Im just saying what i fell to be correct, britain has been a great nation for over over a thousand years, america has been going for what 2 hundred, 3 hundred years, i wasnt saying america wasnt great, but if you saw the royal wedding today,Im sure even you can not deny, that britain does it better than anyone and thats my opinion, Plus Britain is a really tiny island compared to America and yet we ruled most of the world, that didnt happen by accident, so stop arguing about which country is bet... (more »)

Ayushi_austen replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 6:35 am
hey holla....4m wer did countries come in?? dis ws just a discussion on clothing?? y do we hav 2 bring our countries in b/w??

mikey 1234556 said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:27 am
thats right some kids don't want uniforms like my son in 7th grade make him wear a uniform and nothing has changed hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      :(

sunriseusnset said...
I guess it depend on how you as a student feels about your personal style. do you treasure it, or are you more concerned about being in school & getting you education? Now, you could care about your style & your education, but would't it be easier. You are only sacrificing your style for the school day. Many school do this & it holds up traffic in the morning. It make a school looked more refined and clean...lots of school do this. But I see your point of view!

emmatheballerina said...
I had a uniform form k-8th grade. when i went to high school, i transferred to a public school where i could wear anything i wanted. though i enjoy the freedom, i sometimes miss the uniform. i miss not having to worry about what i looked like and not having to picka new outfit everyday.

Apr. 8, 2011 at 9:25 am
I understand not having the security of a uniform after some 8-9 years of having it but try to look at it as a plus, now you can wear things that depict who you are and I think thats another reason why we shouldn't have uniforms, without them after most of our lives we feel lost and when we get jobs when we get older, we might not have uniforms to wear and you'll have to know how to dress approprietly wihtout a guildline

mikey1234556 replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:29 am
your right ma i felt goood to wear regular clothes in high school

what do u mean?

Firefighter16 said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 9:50 am
My opinion on all of this is for school unifroms. The reason for this is because I think school uniforms could be good. Like for instance, in my school, this one friend of mine would always be picked on by the more popular girls. And it wasn’t about looks or anything, but it was all about what she wore to school. She would have on Wal-Mart clothes and hand me down items while all the other girls wore top of the line fashion items. And I f we all had school uniforms, then it would... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
I go to a school where the entire district is required to have a uniform (really just a super strict dresscode) and though a uniform at one school might equalize everyone, a district one doesn't. This is because when a district implements a dresscode the shops in the area raise the prices... a lot. One pair of secondhand pants now costs about 30 dollars. Assuming I get one for each day and need new ones by midway through the year, I (my family) just spent 300 dollars for pants. And shirts cost a... (more »)

Corlupa said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 9:22 am
I wear a uniform and even with it we all find perfectly adequate ways to express ourselves, from make-up to socks to belts to ties. The possibilties are endless. I think it's a creative challenge to wear a uniform.

OneBlackGirl replied...
At my school, that wouldn't work. Socks have to be completely white (which I learned the hard way by getting suspended for having a colored heel on my sock), belts have to be solid black or brown, and you can't have ties unless you're performing something special that day. The only thing you can do is have a tiny emblem on your shirt or pants that shows that it is designer. It looks like a pink or green horse. And anyone who doesn't wear it gets picked on, and I refuse to wear it because I'm not... (more »)

SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's harsh! Suspended for socks? My God!

pageturner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

I don't personally have a uniform at my school. Just a dress code that a lot of people break. But I do have friends who went to a private school with uniforms, and they said the uniforms weren't too bad. But I'd still like the freedom of figuring out what acessories to wear with my outfit.

AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 8:55 am
I wear uniforms at my school and most people hassle over what accessories to wear and make-up to apply. I have found in my personal experience that wearing a uniform does not limit one's personal selection of accesssories or any other embellishments.

HisPurePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
If I went to school, I wouldn't really want uniforms, but it makes me think.  I mean, I also would not want to be around guys with their pants falling off, girls who's miniskirts are mini!  and have all the pressure of "why are you wearing wal-mart?  you gotta get american eagle and aeropostale!"  I dunno, my friends that do go to public school tell me both sides.

LyssaNicole said...
sure uniforms suck, they do limit creativity. i wish i could walk around school in my favorite bands shirts and wear hats make up that represents Black Veil Brides, But i've lived with them since i was four, you do learn ways around letting it stop you.

mnt87 said...
I think my opinion is the minority among everyone else's because I personally like uniforms. I went to a non-uniform school for a year and I found it to be frustrating because I didn't have clothes like all the other kids (I didn't really have a lot of clothes anyway) and I wanted to fit in, but then again no one really cared that much. My uniformed school makes life so much easier because I don't have to waste time every morning thinking of what I should wear etc. I throw on my... (more »)

OneBlackGirl replied...
With me, it's not that easy because everything can get you suspended. We're not even allowed to wear weave or die our hair certain colors (we're only allowed to die it black or blond). Your socks have to be solid white. We're not allowed to wear certain frabrics. Buttons are prohibited. And tennis (or athletic) shoes are prohibited, but you're required to have them on in the gym. If you get caught with them on you or in your locker, you're getting suspended (which is like, WHAT?).