School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

Thalia_Carson_I said...
I disagree. If you believe clothes "express yourself" then you must not have very much to say. When you buy any piece of clothing it is because it has been marketed to you in some fashion or another (pun intended). What this means is, a group of adults reduced you to a statistic based on your age and race, then they decided what clothes you might want to buy in the near future. When you wear a uniform, you have the opportunity to look past the trendy shoes and that cute new skirt and s... (more »)
AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:02 am
I like your view and your cynicism. However, your view on uniforms is a bit biased. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? People in my school (where we wear uniforms) still follow crazy trends on their free time. Uniforms don't necessarily stifle that.
Mystisha said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 6:24 am
I have spent my 12yrs wearing uniforms during my schooling..And i think it isn't bad at all...Because of uniforms there isn't discrimination on what kind of clothes a student wears..i mean every student cant manage to wear a dashing superb dress or cloth everyday..can he?..Just think about it..the peson who's your best friend right now would have been your enemy or someone whom you would never wanna talk to just beacuse he/she dosn't have the right or nice fashion sense..but if you really w... (more »)
evybby said...
Sorry but i completely disagree with you. At my school we dont require to wear a uniform,  but i believe it would be so helpful. Since in today's society teens are caught up on looks, therefore creating a distraction that interferes in students ability to focus on whats really important like their studies.  Not only will uniforms create equality among all students, but it will help those individuals who have problems economically to fit in with everyone else. I don't know but i believe... (more »)
SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's a controversial topic. See, our school has no uniforms, but the thing is that we do have dress code. And all that would be all good if it wasn't for the fact that students break it every chance they get. Shoulders covered? Oh, does this practically invisible scarf thingie count? And how about this sweater that has a million holes? Skirts to knees? Ok, do frills count? And how 'bout this invisible cloth? Translucent material? No overly open shirts? Hey, how about this one with all the holes?... (more »)
Hammi said...
Im from Glasgow, a state school and everyone has to wear a uniform, everyone in britain has to were a uniform. My uniform is white shrt, red tie, black skirt/trousers ect... But people can alter it to suit them, Uniform gives us the disipline that made britain the greates nation on earth at one stage. Britain has a reputaion, glasgow especially for being a rough, tough area, its not that we a re rough but are diciplined, americans could learn from britain and learn that for people to treat each ... (more »)
bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I understand what you were saying about uniforms but when you start getting into which country is better it isnt a matter of what kind of clothing disipline you have. And I like how you said britain was the greatest nation in the world...was being the key word here, now america is the only super power left after the cold war, please dont post garbage such as that americans should learn from britain because we learned from you, altered your ideas to fit the real world are the greatest nation in t... (more »)
Hammi replied...
Im just saying what i fell to be correct, britain has been a great nation for over over a thousand years, america has been going for what 2 hundred, 3 hundred years, i wasnt saying america wasnt great, but if you saw the royal wedding today,Im sure even you can not deny, that britain does it better than anyone and thats my opinion, Plus Britain is a really tiny island compared to America and yet we ruled most of the world, that didnt happen by accident, so stop arguing about which country is bet... (more »)
Ayushi_austen replied...
Aug. 26, 2011 at 6:35 am
hey holla....4m wer did countries come in?? dis ws just a discussion on clothing?? y do we hav 2 bring our countries in b/w??
mikey 1234556 said...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:27 am
thats right some kids don't want uniforms like my son in 7th grade make him wear a uniform and nothing has changed hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!      :(
sunriseusnset said...
I guess it depend on how you as a student feels about your personal style. do you treasure it, or are you more concerned about being in school & getting you education? Now, you could care about your style & your education, but would't it be easier. You are only sacrificing your style for the school day. Many school do this & it holds up traffic in the morning. It make a school looked more refined and clean...lots of school do this. But I see your point of view!
emmatheballerina said...
I had a uniform form k-8th grade. when i went to high school, i transferred to a public school where i could wear anything i wanted. though i enjoy the freedom, i sometimes miss the uniform. i miss not having to worry about what i looked like and not having to picka new outfit everyday.
Apr. 8, 2011 at 9:25 am
I understand not having the security of a uniform after some 8-9 years of having it but try to look at it as a plus, now you can wear things that depict who you are and I think thats another reason why we shouldn't have uniforms, without them after most of our lives we feel lost and when we get jobs when we get older, we might not have uniforms to wear and you'll have to know how to dress approprietly wihtout a guildline
mikey1234556 replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 8:29 am
your right ma i felt goood to wear regular clothes in high school

what do u mean?

Firefighter16 said...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 9:50 am
My opinion on all of this is for school unifroms. The reason for this is because I think school uniforms could be good. Like for instance, in my school, this one friend of mine would always be picked on by the more popular girls. And it wasn’t about looks or anything, but it was all about what she wore to school. She would have on Wal-Mart clothes and hand me down items while all the other girls wore top of the line fashion items. And I f we all had school uniforms, then it would... (more »)
OneBlackGirl replied...
I go to a school where the entire district is required to have a uniform (really just a super strict dresscode) and though a uniform at one school might equalize everyone, a district one doesn't. This is because when a district implements a dresscode the shops in the area raise the prices... a lot. One pair of secondhand pants now costs about 30 dollars. Assuming I get one for each day and need new ones by midway through the year, I (my family) just spent 300 dollars for pants. And shirts cost a... (more »)
Corlupa said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 9:22 am
I wear a uniform and even with it we all find perfectly adequate ways to express ourselves, from make-up to socks to belts to ties. The possibilties are endless. I think it's a creative challenge to wear a uniform.
OneBlackGirl replied...
At my school, that wouldn't work. Socks have to be completely white (which I learned the hard way by getting suspended for having a colored heel on my sock), belts have to be solid black or brown, and you can't have ties unless you're performing something special that day. The only thing you can do is have a tiny emblem on your shirt or pants that shows that it is designer. It looks like a pink or green horse. And anyone who doesn't wear it gets picked on, and I refuse to wear it because I'm not... (more »)
SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
That's harsh! Suspended for socks? My God!
pageturner This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

I don't personally have a uniform at my school. Just a dress code that a lot of people break. But I do have friends who went to a private school with uniforms, and they said the uniforms weren't too bad. But I'd still like the freedom of figuring out what acessories to wear with my outfit.