School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

Lola_Black said...
I actually wouldn't mind wearing a school uniform. That way, we wouldn't have to spend so much time picking out outfits, and nobody would get picked on for their clothes, as RockGirl182 mentioned. But, that's just my opion. I'm very creative, so uniforms just seem to me like a challenge, not a restriction. Besides, I've always loved those cute plaid skirts! But that aside, your writing was okay. There were a few misspelled words and grammar issues. If you just fix that up, that makes your writin... (more »)
RockGirl182 said...
I go to a private school but we don't have to wear uniforms. The problem is that most of the kids are rich and buy really expensive cloths when others such as myself don't have that kind of money to spend on an outfit. That isn't really the problem, it's that the richer students make fun of us if we are wearing Target instead of D&G. I think that school uniforms would help and wouldn't stop us from being unique. Just my opinion :)
quentin-arehart said...
I don't think I'd wear a uniform even if my school did enforce it. But if I had to, I'm pro at finding lupoles :D
Saffy96 said...
Sorry, but I've gotta admit that I really miss having uniforms at school. In my last uniformed school, the rules were strict about uniform but you still had the freedom to make your tie short and fat or long and thin, or to secretly have your shirt untucked at the back (until you got caught). Earrings and bags were another expressive thing. So you can be creative with them, but all in all, wearing uniforms is a lot easier because it stops that agonizing morning routine of searching through your ... (more »)
andromeda13 replied...
i agree with most of ur piont but i kind of enjoy the morning hassle too find something i like, it gives me the chance too be creative, and i wouldn't want someone too take that away
gaffyninja This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:04 am
If not for uniforms, you wouldn't have met a lot of good people isn't it ? A uniform is more than just weird clothes that everyone in a school wears, instead, it has it's own way of expressing things. It's an embodiment of all the values that are taught in a school, stitched together to provide a sense of belonging and unifmormity among the students. However big your school might be, it makes you believe that you're a part of something. When it comes to wearing your own clothes, school isn't the... (more »)
Thoreau420 said...
I go to a private school where we have to wear a kind of uniform. Button up shirts, a tie, a jacket, that sort of thing. while it does hinder creativity, it does help us break out of the clique style of High School. If I had gone into my school looking for friends by the way they were dressed, I would be left without any. Without the pre-seperation of cliques holding me back, I found some pretty cool friends I never would of talked too. However, I do hate that I can't just dress how I wish, if n... (more »)
K.M.S.Shear said...
i agree with you
WritingSpasms said...

In my K-8 school, it was easy to get by with some "touch-ups" as long as you stayed out of the view of specific teachers. Those specific teachers end up giving you demerits/detention while the others don't say anything.

I'd also like to point out that my sister went to the same high school I'm attending. Back then the nuns were VERY strict. Like to the point where they'd carry a ruler around and measure the distance between the hem of the skirt and the knee. More than ten years later, ... (more »)

WritingSpasms replied...
And yes, skirt length has changed. The highest we can go is three inches above the knee, but I've seen some senior girls go WAY higher. :P
JoPepper said...
I agree, I usually dress different from everyone(not overboard) I hate to completely fade in with the rest of the crowd.:)
radicalhonesty replied...
I disagree. First, you put stereotypes on people like skaters, goths, and girly girls. Second, what do you mean by "expressing ourselves"? We can express ourselves in many other ways, by the schoolwork we do, our talents, and our friends. Clothes just show who is rich and who is not. Also, uniforms create a setting that says we're here to learn. School is not a social club. Sure, you get compliments on your clothes, but hwo does that make the kids who can't afford nice clothes feel? And if you w... (more »)
radicalhonesty replied...
oops, sorry I meant my comment to be seperate, not a reply
radicalhonesty replied...
Also, when you talk about the different groups such as goths and skaters, that is why we need uniforms. People automatically see a person's clothing and decide whether or not they want to be friends with them. Uniforms make kids more approachable and you get to really know a kid by their personality, not how they dress.
bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
hey I really appriciate your opinion as I do everyones but I really don't appreciate you trying to make me feel bad about writing this or feel as if I should 'edit and revise'. This was the first artivle I wrote one day at a library and I hadn't intended it to get this popular. My editing has nothing to do with the statement I make on my opinion so don't comment on it unless you have good intentions towards me. Thank you.
radicalhonesty replied...
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to sound snobbish or anything, I'm actually sort of jealous your article got this popular. None of mine are. I respect your opinion, guess I just felt too strongly about mine :) I just did a debate about this so I just had alot of reasons. Great job :)
AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:07 am
First, I have the same compulsive tendency to 'correct' people's writing (and I know I should calm myself on that front.) People can usually hide under a sterotype 'outfit.' If this is a first draft, it works.
OneHotMeS4L said...
May 19, 2011 at 7:23 am
Actually I have to disagree. However, I did agree with you in the near past. I hated even the idea of uniforms. But its so much easier, You can wear tons of accesory and it gives you more time for your hair & make up creativity. For guys, Well its the shoes and the ties that count.
Plus, Those out of dress days almost everyone participates!! (:
FOBlover said...
May 15, 2011 at 4:53 am
I think that while uniform can be repetitive it can also keep you safe because if someone from outside the school they will stick out like a sore thumb as i actually learned when i suggested this in a pupil council meeting and i actually feel that this is correct in some manner but wrong in others so i would have have my opinions but have respect for the fact that it does keep us safe.
Thalia_Carson_I said...
I disagree. If you believe clothes "express yourself" then you must not have very much to say. When you buy any piece of clothing it is because it has been marketed to you in some fashion or another (pun intended). What this means is, a group of adults reduced you to a statistic based on your age and race, then they decided what clothes you might want to buy in the near future. When you wear a uniform, you have the opportunity to look past the trendy shoes and that cute new skirt and s... (more »)