School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm:
i agree with you

WritingSpasms said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm:

In my K-8 school, it was easy to get by with some "touch-ups" as long as you stayed out of the view of specific teachers. Those specific teachers end up giving you demerits/detention while the others don't say anything.

I'd also like to point out that my sister went to the same high school I'm attending. Back then the nuns were VERY strict. Like to the point where they'd carry a ruler around and measure the distance between the hem of the skirt and the knee. More than ten years later, ... (more »)

WritingSpasms replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm :
And yes, skirt length has changed. The highest we can go is three inches above the knee, but I've seen some senior girls go WAY higher. :P

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm:
I agree, I usually dress different from everyone(not overboard) I hate to completely fade in with the rest of the crowd.:)

radicalhonesty replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm :
I disagree. First, you put stereotypes on people like skaters, goths, and girly girls. Second, what do you mean by "expressing ourselves"? We can express ourselves in many other ways, by the schoolwork we do, our talents, and our friends. Clothes just show who is rich and who is not. Also, uniforms create a setting that says we're here to learn. School is not a social club. Sure, you get compliments on your clothes, but hwo does that make the kids who can't afford nice clothes feel? And if you w... (more »)

radicalhonesty replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm :
oops, sorry I meant my comment to be seperate, not a reply

radicalhonesty replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
Also, when you talk about the different groups such as goths and skaters, that is why we need uniforms. People automatically see a person's clothing and decide whether or not they want to be friends with them. Uniforms make kids more approachable and you get to really know a kid by their personality, not how they dress.

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
hey I really appriciate your opinion as I do everyones but I really don't appreciate you trying to make me feel bad about writing this or feel as if I should 'edit and revise'. This was the first artivle I wrote one day at a library and I hadn't intended it to get this popular. My editing has nothing to do with the statement I make on my opinion so don't comment on it unless you have good intentions towards me. Thank you.

radicalhonesty replied...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 5:05 pm :
I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to sound snobbish or anything, I'm actually sort of jealous your article got this popular. None of mine are. I respect your opinion, guess I just felt too strongly about mine :) I just did a debate about this so I just had alot of reasons. Great job :)

AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:07 am :
First, I have the same compulsive tendency to 'correct' people's writing (and I know I should calm myself on that front.) People can usually hide under a sterotype 'outfit.' If this is a first draft, it works.

OneHotMeS4L said...
May 19, 2011 at 7:23 am:
Actually I have to disagree. However, I did agree with you in the near past. I hated even the idea of uniforms. But its so much easier, You can wear tons of accesory and it gives you more time for your hair & make up creativity. For guys, Well its the shoes and the ties that count.
Plus, Those out of dress days almost everyone participates!! (:

FOBlover said...
May 15, 2011 at 4:53 am:
I think that while uniform can be repetitive it can also keep you safe because if someone from outside the school they will stick out like a sore thumb as i actually learned when i suggested this in a pupil council meeting and i actually feel that this is correct in some manner but wrong in others so i would have have my opinions but have respect for the fact that it does keep us safe.

Thalia_Carson_I said...
May 6, 2011 at 7:30 pm:
I disagree. If you believe clothes "express yourself" then you must not have very much to say. When you buy any piece of clothing it is because it has been marketed to you in some fashion or another (pun intended). What this means is, a group of adults reduced you to a statistic based on your age and race, then they decided what clothes you might want to buy in the near future. When you wear a uniform, you have the opportunity to look past the trendy shoes and that cute new skirt and s... (more »)

AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:02 am :
I like your view and your cynicism. However, your view on uniforms is a bit biased. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? People in my school (where we wear uniforms) still follow crazy trends on their free time. Uniforms don't necessarily stifle that.

Mystisha said...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 6:24 am:
I have spent my 12yrs wearing uniforms during my schooling..And i think it isn't bad at all...Because of uniforms there isn't discrimination on what kind of clothes a student wears..i mean every student cant manage to wear a dashing superb dress or cloth everyday..can he?..Just think about it..the peson who's your best friend right now would have been your enemy or someone whom you would never wanna talk to just beacuse he/she dosn't have the right or nice fashion sense..but if you really w... (more »)

evybby said...
Sorry but i completely disagree with you. At my school we dont require to wear a uniform,  but i believe it would be so helpful. Since in today's society teens are caught up on looks, therefore creating a distraction that interferes in students ability to focus on whats really important like their studies.  Not only will uniforms create equality among all students, but it will help those individuals who have problems economically to fit in with everyone else. I don't know but i believe... (more »)

SandyLee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
It's a controversial topic. See, our school has no uniforms, but the thing is that we do have dress code. And all that would be all good if it wasn't for the fact that students break it every chance they get. Shoulders covered? Oh, does this practically invisible scarf thingie count? And how about this sweater that has a million holes? Skirts to knees? Ok, do frills count? And how 'bout this invisible cloth? Translucent material? No overly open shirts? Hey, how about this one with all the holes?... (more »)

Hammi said...
Im from Glasgow, a state school and everyone has to wear a uniform, everyone in britain has to were a uniform. My uniform is white shrt, red tie, black skirt/trousers ect... But people can alter it to suit them, Uniform gives us the disipline that made britain the greates nation on earth at one stage. Britain has a reputaion, glasgow especially for being a rough, tough area, its not that we a re rough but are diciplined, americans could learn from britain and learn that for people to treat each ... (more »)

Apr. 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm :
I understand what you were saying about uniforms but when you start getting into which country is better it isnt a matter of what kind of clothing disipline you have. And I like how you said britain was the greatest nation in the world...was being the key word here, now america is the only super power left after the cold war, please dont post garbage such as that americans should learn from britain because we learned from you, altered your ideas to fit the real world are the greatest nation in t... (more »)

Hammi replied...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 4:46 pm :
Im just saying what i fell to be correct, britain has been a great nation for over over a thousand years, america has been going for what 2 hundred, 3 hundred years, i wasnt saying america wasnt great, but if you saw the royal wedding today,Im sure even you can not deny, that britain does it better than anyone and thats my opinion, Plus Britain is a really tiny island compared to America and yet we ruled most of the world, that didnt happen by accident, so stop arguing about which country is bet... (more »)