School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

MissElbowFan said...
uniform keeps everyone equal. u only have to wear it for about 10 years of ur life so i think it makes other clothes much more special
Emma V. said...
I am sitting here in my school uniform and it is not as bad as you make it out to be.  Yes, you're right about eliminating creativity in clothing but uniforms are pushing you to be creative in other ways.  Looking the same as everyone else gives students a sense of comfort and family.
EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ick! I hate school uniforms. It's too easy to for get that you're an IN-DI-VID-U-AL.
drake said...
i hate werein uniforms it sucks but u know everybody has to go through it
AcrossTheUniverse said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:15 am
Uniforms don't necessarily limit creativity. In fact, fashion might be one medium of creativity, like art, dance, acting, sining, music, or writing (hello! we're on the website for writing teens). At my school, wearing a uniform doesn't place strict rules on the mind or create a learning environment on its own. People still put bows in their hair, fret over make-up, and hang bangs over their eyes. Many of my classmates goof off in class, not because they do their haair or make-up, but because th... (more »)
abnormal said...
I agree, but it wasn't persuasive, and the grammar and spelling and puncuation was off.  I can also see why others would like uniforms, and you should have addressed the counteragrugement.
Zazawish777 replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 10:44 am
I agree, but it was an interesting topic. Keep writing!! Please vote and comment on mine!
mz_arewa replied...
i grew up outside america and i wore uniforms in my high school...and i have been around americans that went to high school without uniforms and the differnce is clear. most of them have identiy problem, they don't know where they belong aand the cool student feel supeior over everyone. but i just have a sense of equality because i grew up believeing everyone has the same rights no one was better than the other. and we are all just privileged to have what we have
Person said...
I actualy wouldn't mind having school uniforms. That way the rich kids would lose a way to make other people feel inferior, and I wouldn't have to spend ten minutes searching for anything that's clean and not an ugly giveaway T-shirt.
AmayaSakaruta said...
i agree with what you're saying, but you didn't really use very original points...
pumpkin said...
i went to a school w/ uniforms to and it sucked,i agree because we couldn`t expree who we are or any thing
VeggieMonster said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 8:04 am
I feel that this article is based very strongly on stereotypical and cliched information. "Girly girls usually wear pink..." The "girly girls" at my school all dress differently, it's not the clothing that makes the person, it's the personality. I also feel that the "limiting creativity" shpiel is very overused. Uniforms would not limit creativity, and have nothing to do with the cutting of art programs. I see where you are comign from, but this is very underdeveloped.
dancegirl13 replied...
I agree! The stereotypes the writer used were offensive (ex. "goth kids wear black"). What's up with that? I would think that most teenagers in today's world are mature enough to see past these prejudices.
Christie32 said...
I agree to a certain extent. I go to a uniformed school and people still judge you on what you wear (how short/long/tight your skirt is etc). Truth is people will judge because it's their nature, having a uniform won't create a feeling of togetherness or equality as having a hierarchy of some sort is programmed into us.
Katie1234 said...

I have to kindly disagree. I went to a school with uniforms, and all of the students there found their own way to stick out. Clothes are not the only way to be an individual. 

On the contrary to what you have said here, we did become more distracted on out few free dress days. People separated out into their cliques, and became much more rude. We tried to believe that it didn't affect us, but it really did. 

Getting dressed is not an art for... (more »)

writingmagic26 replied...
I agree with what you say, having to wear uniforms all throughout elementary school myself, but in some ways, uniforms just aren't reasonable.  For example, their cost.  Uniforms cost a loooooot of money.  And because of this, big families tend to only have one or two uniform pieces per kid.  But, yeah, other than that, uniforms were fine.  I mean, people found their own ways to stand out: how they did thier hair, their bracelets, earings.  But now that I do wear my... (more »)
crazychick said...
I think school uniforms would be a good idea in school, now before you rant and rave at me hear me out. Our society is all about image esspecially in high school it is a huge distraction for me and others even if you dont want to admit it you know its true. School uniforms would help the self esteme of teens and increase concentation on school work.
ohheyyyelli said...
I think you kind of disproved your point by saying "usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black." That is called judging people, by what they look like on the outside.
ohheyyyelli replied...

With uniforms, you let your personality show your creativity.

AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:10 am
Not necessarily. Creativity can be shown in other mediums, such as writing (observe where we have commented.)