School uniforms

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

Crulz BRONZE said...
on Jul. 28 2012 at 6:08 pm
Crulz BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia

When I was young I had a quick sand box in my back yard to play with. I had 5 brothers and sisters. I never liked the sandbox. But I ended up loving it because, I was the only child... eventually.

I agree with what you say but you should check spelling.

on Jun. 18 2012 at 12:55 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
Personally, I don't think that wearing individualistic clothes to school makes it hard for students to learn what they need to. But I do know how hard, expensive, time-consuming, overwhelming, and nerve-racking it is to, every day, find an outfit that is 'cool', than come to school and compare and be compared to everyone else in the room based on my outfit. I think that if school uniforms were used, learning and living a less stressful life would be much easier for students, and peers would be able to break out of cliques easier.

on Jun. 18 2012 at 12:50 pm
dancegirl13 BRONZE, Roslyn, Washington
I agree! The stereotypes the writer used were offensive (ex. "goth kids wear black"). What's up with that? I would think that most teenagers in today's world are mature enough to see past these prejudices.

on May. 31 2012 at 9:48 pm
MindOfEllie BRONZE, Huntington Park, California
1 article 2 photos 1 comment

"I'm obsessively opposed to the typical." -Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta

I've worn uniform for 7 years of my life. I honestly can not wait til I can wake up and go to school in whatever I please. 

FintyH BRONZE said...
on May. 23 2012 at 5:28 pm
FintyH BRONZE, Crawley, Other
I agree with what MissElbowFan is saying, school uniform stops people judging eachother on what designer labels people wear :)

on May. 23 2012 at 5:02 pm
MissElbowFan BRONZE, Dorking, Other
uniform keeps everyone equal. u only have to wear it for about 10 years of ur life so i think it makes other clothes much more special

on Apr. 18 2012 at 1:32 pm
Emma Valley BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
I am sitting here in my school uniform and it is not as bad as you make it out to be.  Yes, you're right about eliminating creativity in clothing but uniforms are pushing you to be creative in other ways.  Looking the same as everyone else gives students a sense of comfort and family.

on Feb. 4 2012 at 4:35 pm
EPluribusUnum DIAMOND, Woodbine, Maryland

"I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head)."
-Sylvia Plath

Ick! I hate school uniforms. It's too easy to for get that you're an IN-DI-VID-U-AL.

drake said...
on Jan. 12 2012 at 1:59 pm
i hate werein uniforms it sucks but u know everybody has to go through it

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:15 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

"Go confidentally in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've always imagined." -Thoreau

Uniforms don't necessarily limit creativity. In fact, fashion might be one medium of creativity, like art, dance, acting, sining, music, or writing (hello! we're on the website for writing teens). At my school, wearing a uniform doesn't place strict rules on the mind or create a learning environment on its own. People still put bows in their hair, fret over make-up, and hang bangs over their eyes. Many of my classmates goof off in class, not because they do their haair or make-up, but because they discuss what they did last weekend or discuss someone else's facebook status.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:10 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

Not necessarily. Creativity can be shown in other mediums, such as writing (observe where we have commented.)

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:07 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

First, I have the same compulsive tendency to 'correct' people's writing (and I know I should calm myself on that front.) People can usually hide under a sterotype 'outfit.' If this is a first draft, it works.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 9:02 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

I like your view and your cynicism. However, your view on uniforms is a bit biased. Have you ever had to wear a uniform? People in my school (where we wear uniforms) still follow crazy trends on their free time. Uniforms don't necessarily stifle that.

on Jan. 2 2012 at 8:55 am
AcrossTheUniverse BRONZE, Hondo, Texas

I wear uniforms at my school and most people hassle over what accessories to wear and make-up to apply. I have found in my personal experience that wearing a uniform does not limit one's personal selection of accesssories or any other embellishments.

on Dec. 25 2011 at 10:44 am
Zazawish777 GOLD, KC, MO, Missouri

life isn't passing me by, it's trying to run me over!

I agree, but it was an interesting topic. Keep writing!! Please vote and comment on mine!

on Nov. 11 2011 at 4:42 pm
abnormal PLATINUM, Jonesboro, Georgia

Truth is eternal. Knowledge is changeable. It is disastrous to confuse them.

-Madeleine L'Engle

I agree, but it wasn't persuasive, and the grammar and spelling and puncuation was off.  I can also see why others would like uniforms, and you should have addressed the counteragrugement.

Person said...
on Nov. 11 2011 at 4:13 pm
I actualy wouldn't mind having school uniforms. That way the rich kids would lose a way to make other people feel inferior, and I wouldn't have to spend ten minutes searching for anything that's clean and not an ugly giveaway T-shirt.

on Oct. 21 2011 at 12:10 pm
AmayaSakaruta, Borger, Texas

From out of the night that covers me, black as the pit from pole to pole, i thank whatever gods may be, for my unconquerable soul. -William Earnest Henley
Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil. -the Bible

i agree with what you're saying, but you didn't really use very original points...

pumpkin said...
on Oct. 20 2011 at 12:32 pm
i went to a school w/ uniforms to and it sucked,i agree because we couldn`t expree who we are or any thing

on Oct. 20 2011 at 8:04 am
I feel that this article is based very strongly on stereotypical and cliched information. "Girly girls usually wear pink..." The "girly girls" at my school all dress differently, it's not the clothing that makes the person, it's the personality. I also feel that the "limiting creativity" shpiel is very overused. Uniforms would not limit creativity, and have nothing to do with the cutting of art programs. I see where you are comign from, but this is very underdeveloped.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!