School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

Katie1234 said...

I have to kindly disagree. I went to a school with uniforms, and all of the students there found their own way to stick out. Clothes are not the only way to be an individual. 

On the contrary to what you have said here, we did become more distracted on out few free dress days. People separated out into their cliques, and became much more rude. We tried to believe that it didn't affect us, but it really did. 

Getting dressed is not an art for... (more »)

writingmagic26 replied...
Sept. 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm :
I agree with what you say, having to wear uniforms all throughout elementary school myself, but in some ways, uniforms just aren't reasonable.  For example, their cost.  Uniforms cost a loooooot of money.  And because of this, big families tend to only have one or two uniform pieces per kid.  But, yeah, other than that, uniforms were fine.  I mean, people found their own ways to stand out: how they did thier hair, their bracelets, earings.  But now that I do wear my... (more »)

crazychick said...
I think school uniforms would be a good idea in school, now before you rant and rave at me hear me out. Our society is all about image esspecially in high school it is a huge distraction for me and others even if you dont want to admit it you know its true. School uniforms would help the self esteme of teens and increase concentation on school work.

ohheyyyelli said...
I think you kind of disproved your point by saying "usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black." That is called judging people, by what they look like on the outside.

ohheyyyelli replied...
Aug. 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm :

*Also:

With uniforms, you let your personality show your creativity.

AcrossTheUniverse replied...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:10 am :
Not necessarily. Creativity can be shown in other mediums, such as writing (observe where we have commented.)

Lola_Black said...
I actually wouldn't mind wearing a school uniform. That way, we wouldn't have to spend so much time picking out outfits, and nobody would get picked on for their clothes, as RockGirl182 mentioned. But, that's just my opion. I'm very creative, so uniforms just seem to me like a challenge, not a restriction. Besides, I've always loved those cute plaid skirts! But that aside, your writing was okay. There were a few misspelled words and grammar issues. If you just fix that up, that makes your writin... (more »)

RockGirl182This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I go to a private school but we don't have to wear uniforms. The problem is that most of the kids are rich and buy really expensive cloths when others such as myself don't have that kind of money to spend on an outfit. That isn't really the problem, it's that the richer students make fun of us if we are wearing Target instead of D&G. I think that school uniforms would help and wouldn't stop us from being unique. Just my opinion :)

quentin-arehart said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm:
I don't think I'd wear a uniform even if my school did enforce it. But if I had to, I'm pro at finding lupoles :D

Saffy96 said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 3:50 pm:
Sorry, but I've gotta admit that I really miss having uniforms at school. In my last uniformed school, the rules were strict about uniform but you still had the freedom to make your tie short and fat or long and thin, or to secretly have your shirt untucked at the back (until you got caught). Earrings and bags were another expressive thing. So you can be creative with them, but all in all, wearing uniforms is a lot easier because it stops that agonizing morning routine of searching through your ... (more »)

andromeda13 replied...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm :
i agree with most of ur piont but i kind of enjoy the morning hassle too find something i like, it gives me the chance too be creative, and i wouldn't want someone too take that away

gaffyninja This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 22, 2011 at 2:04 am:
If not for uniforms, you wouldn't have met a lot of good people isn't it ? A uniform is more than just weird clothes that everyone in a school wears, instead, it has it's own way of expressing things. It's an embodiment of all the values that are taught in a school, stitched together to provide a sense of belonging and unifmormity among the students. However big your school might be, it makes you believe that you're a part of something. When it comes to wearing your own clothes, school isn't the... (more »)

Thoreau420 said...
Jul. 3, 2011 at 7:08 pm:
I go to a private school where we have to wear a kind of uniform. Button up shirts, a tie, a jacket, that sort of thing. while it does hinder creativity, it does help us break out of the clique style of High School. If I had gone into my school looking for friends by the way they were dressed, I would be left without any. Without the pre-seperation of cliques holding me back, I found some pretty cool friends I never would of talked too. However, I do hate that I can't just dress how I wish, if n... (more »)

K.M.S.Shear said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 5:09 pm:
i agree with you

WritingSpasms said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:28 pm:

In my K-8 school, it was easy to get by with some "touch-ups" as long as you stayed out of the view of specific teachers. Those specific teachers end up giving you demerits/detention while the others don't say anything.

I'd also like to point out that my sister went to the same high school I'm attending. Back then the nuns were VERY strict. Like to the point where they'd carry a ruler around and measure the distance between the hem of the skirt and the knee. More than ten years later, ... (more »)

WritingSpasms replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 4:30 pm :
And yes, skirt length has changed. The highest we can go is three inches above the knee, but I've seen some senior girls go WAY higher. :P

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 21, 2011 at 4:35 pm:
I agree, I usually dress different from everyone(not overboard) I hate to completely fade in with the rest of the crowd.:)

radicalhonestyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:11 pm :
I disagree. First, you put stereotypes on people like skaters, goths, and girly girls. Second, what do you mean by "expressing ourselves"? We can express ourselves in many other ways, by the schoolwork we do, our talents, and our friends. Clothes just show who is rich and who is not. Also, uniforms create a setting that says we're here to learn. School is not a social club. Sure, you get compliments on your clothes, but hwo does that make the kids who can't afford nice clothes feel? And if you w... (more »)

Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:12 pm :
oops, sorry I meant my comment to be seperate, not a reply

Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
Also, when you talk about the different groups such as goths and skaters, that is why we need uniforms. People automatically see a person's clothing and decide whether or not they want to be friends with them. Uniforms make kids more approachable and you get to really know a kid by their personality, not how they dress.

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jul. 4, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
hey I really appriciate your opinion as I do everyones but I really don't appreciate you trying to make me feel bad about writing this or feel as if I should 'edit and revise'. This was the first artivle I wrote one day at a library and I hadn't intended it to get this popular. My editing has nothing to do with the statement I make on my opinion so don't comment on it unless you have good intentions towards me. Thank you.