School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

pulledheartstring said...
Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:24 am:
I'm fine with both, but I think it's a huge assumption for us to think that skaters wear these kinds of clothes and girly girls wear certain other kinds... For instance there are some people who may be put in situations where they cannot wear the clothes they like due to financial issues, family issues, and much more. I don't think clothes should always define a way a person expresses himself; there are multiple ways than just polishing up appearances to express personal ways. C... (more »)

iWriteForFoodThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:43 pm:
I see the uniforms argument going both ways. However, on the point of bullying. I go to a private school, and while we don't have uniforms, per se, we do have a fairly strict dress code (shirts with collars, certain colored pants, etc.) We get school pride days most fridays, and dress down days every once in a while. I have gone to the same school for my whole life, and in the 11 years I've been there, it's very rarely that I see someone bullied because of what they wear. Occasionall... (more »)

Westsider said...
Life is a lot easier with uniforms. But I do wish that they weren’t so strict on us with all that. We should be allowed to change it up a bit. ive been wearing uniform for 3 years going into 4 years. it has saved me money, well my parents money. We do also get dress downs once in a while so i think t  

amanda_sedo23 said...
I agree. Even though it would make it easier to choose what to wear in the morning, you don’t get to be yourself. For example, in my school, we have A LOT of restrictions. We can’t wear different colored undershirts or different shoes. I think it’s just ridiculous and should be able to wear what we want to wear.  

NerdyAuthorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I'm someone who's gone to uniform schools all my life. The school I go to now has a polo shirt and jeans, capris, or khakis of your choice. And I love that. I mean, sure, those polos make every one of us girs look flat chested and every guy flabby, but it's better than having yet ANOTHER stress point in high school. We already have enough of those. And you can express yourself just fine. I do tiger stripes on my eyes some days, or gigantic dangley earrings. I wear 50 jelly bracelet... (more »)

DarkAlley_VanitySixx said...
I think the opinion about uniforms goes both ways. The parents like them because there's less bullying. The kids don't because they have to wear the same thing all the time. My school doesn't have uniforms, but we have a VERY strict dress code..

LoveDance said...
Sept. 11, 2012 at 8:31 am:
I think that we should have to wear uniforms because people talk about other people if they don't have on nice clothes and I think that, that isn't fair to the kids who don't have nice clothes on because they can't afford it. As teenagers we should understand that everyone isn't going to have the same nice clothes, so by wear uniforms will elimate so of the teasing each other or bullying each other because of what they have on. As teenagers we can find other ways to express o... (more »)

shaylapurple16 said...
At my school we've been wearing uniforms from Kindergarten, all the way up to 8th grade. Then in High School, we can wear whatever we want. Honestly, I think it's okay to have a uniform. Our uniform just consists of a uniform shirt, we can wear whatever bottoms we want. It doesn't bother me much to have this. I actually think it's great, because people won't judge each other based on their clothes. Of course, being in Middle School kids will judge each other no matter what, b... (more »)

windnguyen said...
I agree with u.....but...in my shool i must wear uniform :(

Crulz said...
Jul. 28, 2012 at 6:08 pm:
I agree with what you say but you should check spelling.

dancegirl13 said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:55 pm:
Personally, I don't think that wearing individualistic clothes to school makes it hard for students to learn what they need to. But I do know how hard, expensive, time-consuming, overwhelming, and nerve-racking it is to, every day, find an outfit that is 'cool', than come to school and compare and be compared to everyone else in the room based on my outfit. I think that if school uniforms were used, learning and living a less stressful life would be much easier for students, and peers would be a... (more »)

MindOfEllie said...
May 31, 2012 at 9:48 pm:
I've worn uniform for 7 years of my life. I honestly can not wait til I can wake up and go to school in whatever I please. 

Inkdrop said...
May 23, 2012 at 5:28 pm:
I agree with what MissElbowFan is saying, school uniform stops people judging eachother on what designer labels people wear :)

MissElbowFan said...
May 23, 2012 at 5:02 pm:
uniform keeps everyone equal. u only have to wear it for about 10 years of ur life so i think it makes other clothes much more special

Emma V. said...
I am sitting here in my school uniform and it is not as bad as you make it out to be.  Yes, you're right about eliminating creativity in clothing but uniforms are pushing you to be creative in other ways.  Looking the same as everyone else gives students a sense of comfort and family.

EPluribusUnumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 4:35 pm:
Ick! I hate school uniforms. It's too easy to for get that you're an IN-DI-VID-U-AL.

drake said...
i hate werein uniforms it sucks but u know everybody has to go through it

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:15 am:
Uniforms don't necessarily limit creativity. In fact, fashion might be one medium of creativity, like art, dance, acting, sining, music, or writing (hello! we're on the website for writing teens). At my school, wearing a uniform doesn't place strict rules on the mind or create a learning environment on its own. People still put bows in their hair, fret over make-up, and hang bangs over their eyes. Many of my classmates goof off in class, not because they do their haair or make-up, but because th... (more »)

abnormal said...
I agree, but it wasn't persuasive, and the grammar and spelling and puncuation was off.  I can also see why others would like uniforms, and you should have addressed the counteragrugement.

Zazawish777 replied...
Dec. 25, 2011 at 10:44 am :
I agree, but it was an interesting topic. Keep writing!! Please vote and comment on mine!