School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

IThinkIWIllJustFlyAwayNow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My school doesn't have unifroms, so i can't say i know what it's like. But I DO know that if you put restraints on people's personality, they will push the boundaries. And besides, uniforms probably won't lend the anonymity most people hope for. The "rich kids" will still always have new and clean uniforms, while the poorer ones will not be able to afford new ones. You just really can't run from who you are.

PearlWhiteNight replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm :
it's kind of funny what you said about "pushing the boundries" because I got in so much trouble last year for wearign things that "didn't quite fit" with the dress code.

lambo51 said...
Ok, so I get the idea of uniforms. It keeps the students in line. Without them rich kids would go around bragging about their trendy clothes and poor kids would be able to do that. Personally, I would not mind to wear a shirt and tie all school day. If every other guy was weraing that it wouldn't matter. Also an fyi. dress pants are comfy. I like to wear ties. I wear then all the time to a party or a dinner. As soon as I get invited to a party, i say "Mom. i have to go to a party, I ne... (more »)

AmnyR said...
ok, like the point you're making, but you should have stopped before you got to the part about schools cutting art and music, it just didnt tie in well with the rest. just a tip, no offense meant!

Makira said...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 5:34 am:
I disagree, I just moved to a school with uniforms. Its hard to find a group to fit in with, and its harder to make friends. I have been to 15 different schools, this is the first with uniforms. I hate walking into school wearing something I am uncomfortable in and trying to make friends with people that look at me weird when I say what I am interested in. Girls won't talk to me after they find out I like games and boys don't talk to the girls all that much. This would have been easily... (more »)

montypythongirl said...
Our school has a uniform, and it's awful. It really leaves no room for self-expression.

TheSnackThatSmilesBack said...
I definatly agree with you, dressing yourself is a form of creativity. It's a way to express yourself.

StormyJ said...
I would DIE if we had to wear uniforms (might be getting them next year 2010-2011 year) but I dont wear skirts they have to give me what the boys are wearing or something I'm a tomboy as it is so I dont believe I am capable of having to change because some stupid people decide that uniforms will make the gang rate and stuff go down come on! Every color is most likely a gang color!!! So STUPID!

rawr5 said...
i don't think schools should have uniforms.we all dress the way we do because that's who we are and if they take that away who know's what could happen?

CP3bigplay said...
i go to a school that requires us to wear a uniform. boys have to wear solid color button down shirts with solid color ties. dress pants that are black or blue, a belt and black or brown dress shoes. girls have to wear a certain skirt, with a blouse and vest.
i see where you're coming from. but it's not all that bad. i've been doing this since kindergarten, and trust me, you get used to it. after a while your neck gets used to the feeling of a tie. it's not uncomfortab... (more »)

Huego replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:09 am :

Hey I would hate to wear something like that! At my school we have a dress code but we don't have to wear like a uniform. We can't wear like tank tops and stuff, but we can basically wear whatever kind of clothing we want which I like.

vampzRfriendz said...
YEAH!!! i totally agree. If everyone wore uniforms that would make us rebell more believe me i'v been there,in junior high we had uniforms and i still wore jeans but was thrown in in school suspension,sucked. WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. this is like telling someone to shut up, its unconstitutional just as well as telling someone they have to wear this everyday.......start a riot kids!!! if thats what it takes to get the stupid people in control to listen and i bet everyone w... (more »)

undiscoveredgrl5 said...
I also go to a school with uniforms. There are some days that make me wish we didn't have uniforms, but the fact is with uniforms we don't have to worry about being judged on out outfits. Uniforms give people the chance to show their personality in different ways, not just through clothes.

ReadingFanatic said...
I go to a school that has uniforms. It's not that bad really. To express yourself you can wear a cute necklace, or braclet. You have what we call "dress down days" where you can dress down in regular clothes as long as its not to out of hand. And guess what girly girls? No makeup allowed in my school.

Miss ME replied...
Dec. 5, 2009 at 6:58 pm :
Me to we have dress down days and thats what me and my friends do we were cute jewlry to express our selfs but were alowed to were make up

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 6, 2009 at 1:29 pm :
wow, never really thought about it that way! please check out some of my other work!!!!

jigjoo This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 15, 2009 at 9:12 pm :
My school doesn't have uniforms, but we may as well. We aren't even allowed to wear large earrings anymore.

bbyy angel said...
i like yur view point
yur right
parents are just wastin there money on sumthing that isnt worth it
i used to wear skool uniform &nd they pretty boring &nd lame

Neol P. said...
school uniforms arent that bad. clothing is not the only way to express your personality.

Heather D. said...
I know! I would hateeee to wear a uniform, it totally disguises your personality and you can't express yourself. And i can kinda understand how some people would want a uniform so they don't get sterotyped on how they dress, but i mean after awhile, im sure you would hate to wear the same thing day after day.

AshaMidnightOlympian said...
I used to wear uniforms. They weren't uncomfortable, and they weren't tacky or boring. They were equalizers. In ordinary schools, people use their clothes to bully others, and to make people embarrass about they're wearing. People might think clothes are a third of who people are, but with ever-changing fashions, who knows what people are really like? With uniforms, people are dressed the same, and how they think and act sets them apart from the crowd. I'm sorry, but I'm... (more »)