School uniforms

By , Kalamazoo, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

IlovemeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 11:24 am
We have uniforms in school but you can still make out the difference. The popular crowd wears the skirts shorter and panta lower. The nerds wear have their shirts tucked in. I live in India and mostly all schools here have uniforms. Its somewhat good here,it brings out equality. The poor,the rich.the muslims,the hindus,the cristians..all wear the same thing. I dont know whats it like in your country but uniforms are not that bad. You can express yourself in many ways. Maybe you dont have uniform... (more »)

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
sorry 'is interesting hearing' *mistyped

MadameMystery93 said...
Uniforms do not make everything easier because when you have uniforms people still try to make it their own by either trying to make the skirt shorter or my wearing make up or jewlery that is against the code. and i know frm expierence because i went to a catholic school from kindergarten to 8th grade and everyone someone was getting in trouble.

TacosEatMe! said...
May 30, 2010 at 9:11 am

hello

I like the points that you made in this article, they made me feel like I'm not the only one that hates uniforms, some of my friends think they would be a good idea but I personally hate them.

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:59 am

Hey thank you for your comments! They make me feel like I'm doing a good job! Please check out my other work, I really apprietiate it!

May 30, 2010 at 9:15 am
oh and just so you know, this is my article so I'm not trying to take credit for someone else's work! I didn't want my name posted because it was my first article that I posted.

hola said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:57 am

I agree with what you said, it doesn't make things easier it just makes us feel uncomfortable

bfdks said...
May 30, 2010 at 8:55 am

Hey good points, I hate uniforms too! I had to wear one for elementary school and I hated it

musa123 said...
I loved your article, and I totally agree. I have a uniform dress code and I despise it with every fiber of my being. It makes us all look the same, and it is super tacky. I mean who in there write mind would want to wear something that makes everyone look like total crap!   Sincerly, Musa123

mddroxs1999 said...
I hate uniforms i have never worn one and i dont wanna

SunShineSparkle said...
hahaha you know whats funny people say im pretty goth and emo statues yet today im wearing sum pretty baggy yet still skinny, skinny jeans and a orange tee shirt hahah wierd right/

May 30, 2010 at 9:16 am
that is pretty weird, and I bet you like wearing what you want to!

SunShineSparkle replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:20 am
of course, im not gonna fall into the normalitys of today (i think i spelled dat wrong) because....i dnt feel like it. :D

Nishy replied...
I go to an all girls, private school, and we have to wear uniforms. And frankly, I like uniforms. They're comfortable, and an equilizer. There are many, for lack of a better term, "rich girls" at my school. And if it wasn't for the uniforms, I'm sure they would poke fun at my plain ensembles compared to their Louis Vuitton and Prada. And while there are restrictions, we are allowed to express ourselves. Buttons, pins, animal print. As long as they are not offensive and the accessories in school ... (more »)

Valery5 said...
Uniforms are not cool Uniforms dont show who we are. Our clothes show who we are and what we like

TwiHeart101 said...
I agree, my schools gonna make us wear uniforms. Its soo unfair, their taking away our creativity!!

Hzano said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 11:27 am

I'm indifferent towards uniforms-

Yes for uniforms because they could prevent abrupt categorization of girls at high school. And, you can't be made fun because of what you wear... well you could, but that would be very stupid.

No- Because dressing up is what most girls love most, and wether you dress up or down at least we have a choice, right?

SouthernGirl612 said...
I go to a school with uniforms and it dosnt help with cliques or any other problems. People still judge you nomatter what. So I think that uniforms are still just a waste of time.

BlueberryPoptartHasAnAmazinglyLongScreenname said...
I don't agree. If you see a girl wearing all black you wouldn't guess sometimes she crys when she watches hallmark movies, or has a cat named Fluffy, or that the girl in the skinny jeans really could use a hug. Without haveing clothing to deal with we can focus on what people are really like. Not just what they look like but who they are.

naturelover123 said...
I agree that clothing is a form of creativity, but sometimes it's hard to wake up every school morning and create a cute outfit. Having a uniform to wear would be so much easier, and we would see people more and not just what they wear. The stereotypes you mentioned in this article are one of the reasons uniforms would be good...you wouldn't be able to look at people's clothing and put them into a category (goth, cheerleader, skater). We could still accessorize our uniforms with j... (more »)

RadioactiveRainbow said...
My school has uniforms.
I disagree with most of this post.
We express ourselves pretty well. Infact, we express ourselves better. I do not consider the way you dress as a way to express yourself. You're just going to want to wear what's "popular" among your group of friends. That isn't expressing yourself, that's expressing the image or stereotype of your clique.
Like I said, my school requires us to wear uniforms, and I don't particularl... (more »)