School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

BlueberryPoptartHasAnAmazinglyLongScreenname said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm:
I don't agree. If you see a girl wearing all black you wouldn't guess sometimes she crys when she watches hallmark movies, or has a cat named Fluffy, or that the girl in the skinny jeans really could use a hug. Without haveing clothing to deal with we can focus on what people are really like. Not just what they look like but who they are.

naturelover123 said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:47 pm:
I agree that clothing is a form of creativity, but sometimes it's hard to wake up every school morning and create a cute outfit. Having a uniform to wear would be so much easier, and we would see people more and not just what they wear. The stereotypes you mentioned in this article are one of the reasons uniforms would be good...you wouldn't be able to look at people's clothing and put them into a category (goth, cheerleader, skater). We could still accessorize our uniforms with j... (more »)

RadioactiveRainbow said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 5:08 pm:
My school has uniforms.
I disagree with most of this post.
We express ourselves pretty well. Infact, we express ourselves better. I do not consider the way you dress as a way to express yourself. You're just going to want to wear what's "popular" among your group of friends. That isn't expressing yourself, that's expressing the image or stereotype of your clique.
Like I said, my school requires us to wear uniforms, and I don't particularl... (more »)

scribblesinthecity replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm :
i understand what you are saying, but i think its stereotypical to think that all people who consider fashion as a way to express themselves are only doing it to fit in and look popular. Because we're definitely not all like that. I love fashion. i have my own personal style that i stick to because it makes me feel great, and for that reason only. I dont pay attention to what i wear just to fit it, because sometimes the clothes i wear dont fit in in with the general style of girls in my HS ... (more »)

YeahItsMe said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm:
Yeah Kat but clothes are another way to express yourself and yeah kids with less money can't buy nice clothes but uniforms cost for too.

abc123 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm:
i think that skool unforim would suck because i mean we were what is in right now! i we cant they what is the point of unforms i mean for real!

KatAnne replied...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm :
I go to a school that has uniforms. To be quite honest it is so much easier in the morning to just pull out a uniform and throw it on. It takes time out of getting ready in the morning and really lets you sleep in an extra bit.
You said in your piece that people judge you by how you look. Uniforms to a certain point cause people to look farther than the surface. When people look farther that clothes it is good for kids who are not as well off as others and can't afford nice clothe... (more »)

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm :
I totally understand that, thank you!!!

scribblesinthecity replied...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm :
i can completely understand both sides of the uniform argument. but id just like to say that i've noticed many people bring up the fact that for kids who are not well off (financially) and can't afford to buy nice clothes, uniforms are better for them. But i definitly dont think you need to be rich to have a sense of style! i am a living proof of that. Both my parents work for the city (moms a teacher, dad a bus driver), so we are well of enough i suppose but we're not extremely ... (more »)

KaplunkyMonkey said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm:
It seems short sighted to insist that the only - or principle - form of expression is clothing.
Clothing can be an easy way to form cliques (e.g. commenter that mentioned a WOW shirt will automatically attract fellow geeks). The original commenter in that example suggested this is a good thing.
High school is already a bastion of enemy scuffles. Clothing is one playing field that can be moderately leveled.
That isn't to say that I don't believe teens should enjoy som... (more »)

IThinkIWIllJustFlyAwayNow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My school doesn't have unifroms, so i can't say i know what it's like. But I DO know that if you put restraints on people's personality, they will push the boundaries. And besides, uniforms probably won't lend the anonymity most people hope for. The "rich kids" will still always have new and clean uniforms, while the poorer ones will not be able to afford new ones. You just really can't run from who you are.

May 30, 2010 at 9:18 am :
plus I think that on the weekends or when you get home form school you still can get made fun of so it just doesn't make sense to me

PearlWhiteNight replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm :
it's kind of funny what you said about "pushing the boundries" because I got in so much trouble last year for wearign things that "didn't quite fit" with the dress code.

lambo51 said...
Ok, so I get the idea of uniforms. It keeps the students in line. Without them rich kids would go around bragging about their trendy clothes and poor kids would be able to do that. Personally, I would not mind to wear a shirt and tie all school day. If every other guy was weraing that it wouldn't matter. Also an fyi. dress pants are comfy. I like to wear ties. I wear then all the time to a party or a dinner. As soon as I get invited to a party, i say "Mom. i have to go to a party, I ne... (more »)

AmnyR said...
ok, like the point you're making, but you should have stopped before you got to the part about schools cutting art and music, it just didnt tie in well with the rest. just a tip, no offense meant!

Makira said...
Jan. 15, 2010 at 5:34 am:
I disagree, I just moved to a school with uniforms. Its hard to find a group to fit in with, and its harder to make friends. I have been to 15 different schools, this is the first with uniforms. I hate walking into school wearing something I am uncomfortable in and trying to make friends with people that look at me weird when I say what I am interested in. Girls won't talk to me after they find out I like games and boys don't talk to the girls all that much. This would have been easily... (more »)

montypythongirl said...
Our school has a uniform, and it's awful. It really leaves no room for self-expression.

TheSnackThatSmilesBack said...
I definatly agree with you, dressing yourself is a form of creativity. It's a way to express yourself.

StormyJ said...
I would DIE if we had to wear uniforms (might be getting them next year 2010-2011 year) but I dont wear skirts they have to give me what the boys are wearing or something I'm a tomboy as it is so I dont believe I am capable of having to change because some stupid people decide that uniforms will make the gang rate and stuff go down come on! Every color is most likely a gang color!!! So STUPID!

rawr5 said...
i don't think schools should have uniforms.we all dress the way we do because that's who we are and if they take that away who know's what could happen?