School uniforms | Teen Ink

School uniforms

August 27, 2009
By Anonymous

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 240 comments.


reesha SILVER said...
on Jun. 20 2010 at 12:05 pm
reesha SILVER, Rawalpindi, Other
6 articles 15 photos 124 comments

Favorite Quote:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them."
Walt Disney

"Hakuna Matata!"
Lion King

"The British policy was 'unite and conquer'. But I say 'unite and conquer'."
Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea)

This puts the whole concept of uniforms in a different light and I respect your opinion. However, I disagree. Sometimes, certain students are able to wear designer clothes and some never wear the same clothes twice. This is discrimination against other who are unable to do so, and so it creates disunity, whereas in uniforms, there is no distinction between the rich or the poor. 

Your idea that different people have different styles is correct, but it must be remembered that no matter what they wear, its their attitude that makes them who they are.


ANGELSTAR14 said...
on Jun. 8 2010 at 10:36 am
I think that school uniforms should not have because it's confusing

. said...
on Jun. 7 2010 at 11:26 pm
:) I am glad it is interesting. Its a different perspective,its not like kids here like uniforms more than you all do but then we all know its important.

on Jun. 7 2010 at 3:04 pm
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

sorry 'is interesting hearing' *mistyped

on Jun. 7 2010 at 3:03 pm
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

This si interestinghearing it from a person in a different country! I just really think that with all kids dressing the same way it takes away some of our freedom and then once they take away our clothes, maybe we'll have to wear our hair in ponytails or we'll have to take the same activities or other requirements. All in all I just think that it will create more problems.

on Jun. 7 2010 at 11:24 am
TanviKusum DIAMOND, Gurgaon, Other
89 articles 4 photos 197 comments

Favorite Quote:
All men who have achieved great things have been great dreamers.
Orison Swett Marden

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." - Anais Nin

we speak in hushed voices so as to not wake our memories

We have uniforms in school but you can still make out the difference. The popular crowd wears the skirts shorter and panta lower. The nerds wear have their shirts tucked in. I live in India and mostly all schools here have uniforms. Its somewhat good here,it brings out equality. The poor,the rich.the muslims,the hindus,the cristians..all wear the same thing. I dont know whats it like in your country but uniforms are not that bad. You can express yourself in many ways. Maybe you dont have uniforms that why you dont know,I do. :)

on Jun. 1 2010 at 7:38 pm
MadameMystery93, Vineland, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
Uniforms do not make everything easier because when you have uniforms people still try to make it their own by either trying to make the skirt shorter or my wearing make up or jewlery that is against the code. and i know frm expierence because i went to a catholic school from kindergarten to 8th grade and everyone someone was getting in trouble.

on Jun. 1 2010 at 10:20 am
SunShineSparkle BRONZE, Orange, California
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
System of A Down - MIND"you need the ones you love and love the ones that you need", HYPNOTIZE"Mesmerize the simple minded Propaganda leaves us blinded", SAD STATUE"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering"

of course, im not gonna fall into the normalitys of today (i think i spelled dat wrong) because....i dnt feel like it. :D

on May. 30 2010 at 9:18 am
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

plus I think that on the weekends or when you get home form school you still can get made fun of so it just doesn't make sense to me

on May. 30 2010 at 9:16 am
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

that is pretty weird, and I bet you like wearing what you want to!

on May. 30 2010 at 9:15 am
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

oh and just so you know, this is my article so I'm not trying to take credit for someone else's work! I didn't want my name posted because it was my first article that I posted.

TacosEatMe! said...
on May. 30 2010 at 9:11 am

hello

I like the points that you made in this article, they made me feel like I'm not the only one that hates uniforms, some of my friends think they would be a good idea but I personally hate them.


Huego said...
on May. 30 2010 at 9:09 am

Hey I would hate to wear something like that! At my school we have a dress code but we don't have to wear like a uniform. We can't wear like tank tops and stuff, but we can basically wear whatever kind of clothing we want which I like.

 


on May. 30 2010 at 8:59 am
Emma.H.96 DIAMOND, Kalamazoo, Michigan
65 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should've behaved better. -Anne Lamott, from Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life.

Hey thank you for your comments! They make me feel like I'm doing a good job! Please check out my other work, I really apprietiate it!

 


hola said...
on May. 30 2010 at 8:57 am

I agree with what you said, it doesn't make things easier it just makes us feel uncomfortable

 


bfdks said...
on May. 30 2010 at 8:55 am

Hey good points, I hate uniforms too! I had to wear one for elementary school and I hated it

 


musa123 said...
on May. 23 2010 at 7:35 pm
I loved your article, and I totally agree. I have a uniform dress code and I despise it with every fiber of my being. It makes us all look the same, and it is super tacky. I mean who in there write mind would want to wear something that makes everyone look like total crap!   Sincerly, Musa123

mddroxs1999 said...
on May. 14 2010 at 7:18 pm
I hate uniforms i have never worn one and i dont wanna

on Apr. 29 2010 at 3:36 pm
SunShineSparkle BRONZE, Orange, California
1 article 0 photos 33 comments

Favorite Quote:
System of A Down - MIND"you need the ones you love and love the ones that you need", HYPNOTIZE"Mesmerize the simple minded Propaganda leaves us blinded", SAD STATUE"What is in us that turns a deaf ear to the cries of human suffering"

hahaha you know whats funny people say im pretty goth and emo statues yet today im wearing sum pretty baggy yet still skinny, skinny jeans and a orange tee shirt hahah wierd right/

Valery5 said...
on Apr. 26 2010 at 12:28 pm
Valery5, Riverside, California
0 articles 0 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What's bad for your heart is good for your art."

Uniforms are not cool Uniforms dont show who we are. Our clothes show who we are and what we like