School uniforms

By , Warren, MI
Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

SunShineSparkleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
hahaha you know whats funny people say im pretty goth and emo statues yet today im wearing sum pretty baggy yet still skinny, skinny jeans and a orange tee shirt hahah wierd right/

bubblee96This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 30, 2010 at 9:16 am :
that is pretty weird, and I bet you like wearing what you want to!

SunShineSparkleThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 10:20 am :
of course, im not gonna fall into the normalitys of today (i think i spelled dat wrong) because....i dnt feel like it. :D

Nishy replied...
Nov. 21, 2010 at 11:20 pm :
I go to an all girls, private school, and we have to wear uniforms. And frankly, I like uniforms. They're comfortable, and an equilizer. There are many, for lack of a better term, "rich girls" at my school. And if it wasn't for the uniforms, I'm sure they would poke fun at my plain ensembles compared to their Louis Vuitton and Prada. And while there are restrictions, we are allowed to express ourselves. Buttons, pins, animal print. As long as they are not offensive and the accessories in school ... (more »)

Valery5This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Uniforms are not cool Uniforms dont show who we are. Our clothes show who we are and what we like

TwiHeart101 said...
I agree, my schools gonna make us wear uniforms. Its soo unfair, their taking away our creativity!!

Hzano said...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 11:27 am:

I'm indifferent towards uniforms-

Yes for uniforms because they could prevent abrupt categorization of girls at high school. And, you can't be made fun because of what you wear... well you could, but that would be very stupid.

No- Because dressing up is what most girls love most, and wether you dress up or down at least we have a choice, right?

SouthernGirl612 said...
I go to a school with uniforms and it dosnt help with cliques or any other problems. People still judge you nomatter what. So I think that uniforms are still just a waste of time.

BlueberryPoptartHasAnAmazinglyLongScreenname said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 5:34 pm:
I don't agree. If you see a girl wearing all black you wouldn't guess sometimes she crys when she watches hallmark movies, or has a cat named Fluffy, or that the girl in the skinny jeans really could use a hug. Without haveing clothing to deal with we can focus on what people are really like. Not just what they look like but who they are.

naturelover123 said...
Mar. 9, 2010 at 9:47 pm:
I agree that clothing is a form of creativity, but sometimes it's hard to wake up every school morning and create a cute outfit. Having a uniform to wear would be so much easier, and we would see people more and not just what they wear. The stereotypes you mentioned in this article are one of the reasons uniforms would be good...you wouldn't be able to look at people's clothing and put them into a category (goth, cheerleader, skater). We could still accessorize our uniforms with j... (more »)

RadioactiveRainbow said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 5:08 pm:
My school has uniforms.
I disagree with most of this post.
We express ourselves pretty well. Infact, we express ourselves better. I do not consider the way you dress as a way to express yourself. You're just going to want to wear what's "popular" among your group of friends. That isn't expressing yourself, that's expressing the image or stereotype of your clique.
Like I said, my school requires us to wear uniforms, and I don't particularl... (more »)

scribblesinthecity replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm :
i understand what you are saying, but i think its stereotypical to think that all people who consider fashion as a way to express themselves are only doing it to fit in and look popular. Because we're definitely not all like that. I love fashion. i have my own personal style that i stick to because it makes me feel great, and for that reason only. I dont pay attention to what i wear just to fit it, because sometimes the clothes i wear dont fit in in with the general style of girls in my HS ... (more »)

YeahItsMe said...
Feb. 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm:
Yeah Kat but clothes are another way to express yourself and yeah kids with less money can't buy nice clothes but uniforms cost for too.

abc123 said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 1:24 pm:
i think that skool unforim would suck because i mean we were what is in right now! i we cant they what is the point of unforms i mean for real!

KatAnne replied...
Feb. 11, 2010 at 1:09 pm :
I go to a school that has uniforms. To be quite honest it is so much easier in the morning to just pull out a uniform and throw it on. It takes time out of getting ready in the morning and really lets you sleep in an extra bit.
You said in your piece that people judge you by how you look. Uniforms to a certain point cause people to look farther than the surface. When people look farther that clothes it is good for kids who are not as well off as others and can't afford nice clothe... (more »)

Feb. 11, 2010 at 2:47 pm :
I totally understand that, thank you!!!

scribblesinthecity replied...
Feb. 28, 2010 at 7:16 pm :
i can completely understand both sides of the uniform argument. but id just like to say that i've noticed many people bring up the fact that for kids who are not well off (financially) and can't afford to buy nice clothes, uniforms are better for them. But i definitly dont think you need to be rich to have a sense of style! i am a living proof of that. Both my parents work for the city (moms a teacher, dad a bus driver), so we are well of enough i suppose but we're not extremely ... (more »)

KaplunkyMonkey said...
Feb. 3, 2010 at 11:14 pm:
It seems short sighted to insist that the only - or principle - form of expression is clothing.
Clothing can be an easy way to form cliques (e.g. commenter that mentioned a WOW shirt will automatically attract fellow geeks). The original commenter in that example suggested this is a good thing.
High school is already a bastion of enemy scuffles. Clothing is one playing field that can be moderately leveled.
That isn't to say that I don't believe teens should enjoy som... (more »)

IThinkIWIllJustFlyAwayNow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My school doesn't have unifroms, so i can't say i know what it's like. But I DO know that if you put restraints on people's personality, they will push the boundaries. And besides, uniforms probably won't lend the anonymity most people hope for. The "rich kids" will still always have new and clean uniforms, while the poorer ones will not be able to afford new ones. You just really can't run from who you are.

May 30, 2010 at 9:18 am :
plus I think that on the weekends or when you get home form school you still can get made fun of so it just doesn't make sense to me