School uniforms | Teen Ink

School uniforms

Parents always talk about how If schools had uniforms, everything would be so much eisier. You wouldn't get caught up on looks and would learn the skills you need. I disagree with this, I think that school uniforms would put a restriction on our creativity. We dress the way we do for a certain reason.
Clothes give us expression and the ability to use color and patterns. The first impression we get of people is usually clothes, facial expression and language. If we all wear the same thing we don't get to really see what people are like on the inside. Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black. Clothes don't distract us form learning the studies we need to, it simply lets us inspire our imaginations and lights up our worlds.
putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebell against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music. Because of the current economic situation most art and music programs are being cut from schools because there is simply not eneough money to support them.

JoeBiden said...
on Feb. 15 2021 at 11:34 am
JoeBiden, Washington, District Of Columbia

My fellow Americans, here's the deal!

My fellow Americans, here's the deal. Schools around the nation should allow their students to express themselves with the type of clothing, with regulation of course. With my proposal, schools will not require students to wear a uniform. I will send this proposal to the House of Representatives after the COVID Crisis.

-President Biden

on Aug. 5 2020 at 12:38 pm
Riddikulus BRONZE, New Delhi, Other

it is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities
- professor Dumbledore

well, I have to wear a uniform it's just so irritating !!!

on Dec. 17 2018 at 8:09 pm
XxContritionxX BRONZE, ?, Texas
1 article 1 photo 3 comments

"Oh shut up. Every time it rains, it stops raining. Every time you hurt, you heal. After darkness, there is always light & you get reminded of this every morning. Nothing lasts forever, the good or the bad. So you might as well smile while you're here." - pleasefindthis, Return to Green.

Attending a private school for about 6 years that had uniforms, I can confirm that my creativity for dressing outside is nonexistent. For years, I've struggled on a wardrobe & outfits to wear, merely because of the uniforms that were somber & endless. Never did me or fellow peers have an opportunity to express ourselves.

on Jul. 30 2016 at 8:44 pm
MusicPanda BRONZE, Cleveland, Tennessee

A true reader is not defined by how many, or what books they have read, but by the lessons that they learn from them.

Exactly. At my school we have a strict dress code of polos and khakis.All hair colors have to be natural. How are we supposed to show creativity?

Edubs SILVER said...
on Mar. 29 2016 at 10:46 pm
Edubs SILVER, West Jordan, Utah

"But there's a hope waiting for you in the dark, you should know you're beautiful just the way you are. And you don't have to change a thing the world could change its heart. No scars to your beautiful, we're stars and we're beautiful." - Alessia

I agree with you. I would totally absolutely hate it if I had to wear a uniform. And at least at my school people don't really get judged by what they wear. I think it expresses creativity and personality. I get that some people say that if you have a uniform the students will behave better. Well that's not always the case because people will act how they want. If you take away their freedom of how they want to dress then some kids will protest and wear what they want anyway. There is usually a dress code at school and people still go against it. so I completely agree with you.

on Jan. 2 2016 at 1:03 pm
ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

I both agree with this, and disagree. I agree because it takes less time in the morning to choose what you are going to wear. You can't say, "Should I wear the white polo, or the white polo?"I disagree with you, because part of your article is based on stereotypes. "Usually girly girls wear pink and frilly things. Skaters wear baggy pants and goth usually wear black," you say. Well, I beg to differ. I can be a girly girl at times, and I NEVER wear pink. I wear black a lot, does that mean I'm goth? No. Also, I am not a generally "popular" person. If we didn't have uniforms, everyone would be judged even more for what clothes they wear, if they wear makeup, etc. Uniforms let everyone be more equal in terms of what they wear. I personally, like our occasional free dress days, because it gives us a break, but seeing our school like that every day? That is one thing I cannot imagine.

20caweis said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 10:43 am
20caweis,
i really love this article well written

on Nov. 4 2015 at 10:08 am
2coupelo BRONZE, DiCapriVille, Louisiana
I respectfully disagree. Uniforms have its pros too; wearing the same uniform reduces chances of students getting teased for what they wear. Also, it shows everyone is equal and prepares young adults for the real world by having their shirts tucked in. Some casual clothing does not look very appealing tucked in. “Putting school uniforms into order would probably make us rebel against it and we would only be able to express our creativity in things like art and music.” This is strong because there are many different ways to express ourselves by wearing a school uniform, like through makeup, decorating classroom materials, or just simply accessorizing a bit. I have no problem with wearing a uniform.

on Oct. 14 2015 at 4:55 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri

Anything that can be done, can be undone. ~Scarlet City
http://eepurl.com/dcyZMn

If you wear school uniforms than you schoolmates will be more tuned into judging you based on the little things, rather your outfit as a whole. My friend used to go to a private school with uniforms. They made her buy a new set every year, and they changed the design so that you couldn't wear last years, even if it still did fit. Her parents transferred her to public school because they couldn't afford tuition plus new uniforms every year. Although, school uniforms would put an end to inappropriate clothing trends in the class room. At my school it isn't really a big deal ,but at other schools it is a huge issue.

on Feb. 2 2015 at 11:50 am
Allison White BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
I agree with this. I feel that one of the only ways some students can express himself or herself is through their clothes. Some aren't in art classes, are a class officer, or are on the student council where other students can express themselves. I feel that telling kids to wear uniforms it is telling them to be the same as everyone else and that we can all fit into a box. This is untrue. We are all different and students should have just as much right to express themselves through clothes as everyone else can.

Gavinator08 said...
on Jan. 22 2015 at 3:12 pm
I did as well.

MeaMario said...
on Nov. 4 2014 at 1:00 pm
So did I        

on Oct. 3 2014 at 9:52 pm
i_stand_unbroken, Bedforf, Virginia

Every jurney begins with a single step~ Annoymous

i actually read this in school as an assignment

akapooaka123 said...
on May. 23 2014 at 3:01 pm
I think kids should were uniforms becuse   

kahna said...
on May. 6 2014 at 12:21 pm
I agree with your opinion. Actually, my school has school uniforms, but we only wear them on once a week and also on school events(like graduation or day trips). I like uniforms because we don't have to think about what cloth I will wear next day. However, I like cloths. I like fashions. If I had to wear uniforms every day, I think I might dislike them. Cloths show the people's identities. We should wear anything we like.

on Apr. 24 2014 at 9:52 am
Also, I promise and guarantee you, you get judged even when you're wearing your school uniforms. People have tendensies to judge and see every little thing you do and wear and everything. It's not that comfortable too then, even though you're wearing your school uniforms. People judging and making their opinions of how you look and what you wear won't change, just because you're wearing school uniforms. I 100% guarantee and promise you. 

on Apr. 24 2014 at 9:49 am
Yes, that is a good point; your thought of developing a good habit when I mentioned of dirty uniforms and such. But, the thing is: uniforms get easily dirty, for example, in my situations, I have at least PE and Arts at least more than 3 times a week, and it gets dirty easily, yeah I try to keep it clean and all that, but it takes time to dry them. So for example, washed uniforms today afternoon, tomorrow morning still not dried enough, can't wear them to school, you get nagged and shouted at and stuff. As for the freedom part, yes you may have missed it. But, do you like to be seen as all the same as others? I mean think about it. We're all students, we wear the same clothes everyday, and even our teachers get confused of our names and they've been here in our school more than 3 years or so. What about keeping our freedom on, instead of keeping it all off? And also, consider of this too: why don't we try to wear the clothes we like, in our styles, because clothes are definitions of teenagers; clothes represent ourselves in a way; like your passion, your style, your likes, etc. . It'd be much more unique, fair freedom, appropriate, and more good, rather than no uniques, no freedom, same, boring, and unfair. If the teachers or anybody asks of appropriateness, you have your parents. 

L.A.L.Etc said...
on Apr. 23 2014 at 12:07 am
L.A.L.Etc, Vail, Arizona

I can't be impossible - I exist! I believe what you ment to say is 'I give up he's improbable!'"
By "Big Bang Theory"

Both have good points, but people should be able to wear what they want. Schools are incharge of a lot of things, such as where you sit in the cafeteria, what you can eat, how you have to sit and more. I mean i'm in junior high soon highschhol and there still doing that. What about when we grow up? Not all jobs are going to have specific uniforms, you'll have to figure it out, it;s better to make it a habbit. And if an intruder breaks in we'll all be put into classrooms, or somewhere safe away from an intruder.

on Apr. 22 2014 at 7:16 am
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching,
Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

I say this cause I have seen my cousin were weirdest combinations of clothes--some of which are often dirty and stained--but on first impression you don't even notice it because of her attitude. Similarly, a friend of mine--Ahana--she's so beautiful and she's always wearing the prettiest dresses to class but no one notices cause she can't carry it even though she's gorgeous. So basically, first impression is all in the attitude especially in current times and generation.

on Apr. 22 2014 at 7:13 am
TanazMasaba GOLD, Dhaka, Other

Love like you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like it's Heaven on Earth."

---William W. Purkey

That's kinda absurd. All most every school where I come from--be it public school or private school--has uniform. Doesn't mean all the students give off a "rich" or "snobb" vibe, In fact clothes don't really play a big role on first impression--its the way you carry the clothes.